[MULVANEY GETS YET ANOTHER JOB!] Trump chief of staff John Kelly to resign within days

• Jason changed the title to [nearly a week later...] Trump chief of staff John Kelly to resign within days

Chris Christie says no.

“It’s an honor to have the President consider me as he looks to choose a new White House chief-of-staff,” Christie wrote in a statement shared by Maggie Haberman of the New York Times on Friday. “However, I’ve told the President that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment. As a result, I have asked not to be considered for this post.”

• Haha 1

• Jason changed the title to [one week and counting...] Trump chief of staff John Kelly to resign within days
  • Jason changed the title to [MULVANEY GETS YET ANOTHER JOB!] Trump chief of staff John Kelly to resign within days
4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I wonder if making the statement public is a long awaited fuck you from Christie for how he was originally kind of screwed out of a cabinet position.

I would not be surprised if Christie released the statement even if Trump did not make an offer. 

I would be even less surprised to see a Tweet from Trump saying he never offered Christie the job, even if he actually had made the offer. 

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I would not be surprised if Christie released the statement even if Trump did not make an offer. 

I would be even less surprised to see a Tweet from Trump saying he never offered Christie the job, even if he actually had made the offer. 

Apparently there may be even more animosity between them than I thought :lol:

In fact, the Michael Lewis book The Fifth Risk recounts some of Christie's transition efforts in 2016 before Trump won the election—and then literally and figuratively trashed every shred of work Christie had done. Keep in mind that party nominees are legally required to form transition teams. Trump didn't want one but Christie explained he must have one and he could either pay for it himself or pull from campaign funds. Trump refused to do either, so Christie was forced to fundraise for the committee in order to pay its hundred-plus staffers. Trump almost entirely ignored the transition work until he read an article reporting that Christie had raised several million dollars toward the effort. That's when Steven Bannon walked into Trump's Trump Tower residence to find Christie getting an earful from Trump. Lewis writes:

Trump was apoplectic, actually yelling, You're stealing my money! You're stealing my fucking money! What the fuck is this?? Seeing Bannon, Trump turned on him and screamed, Why are you letting him steal my fucking money?Bannon and Christie together set out to explain to Trump federal law. [...] To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.Bannon and Christie tried to explain that Trump couldn't have both his money and a transition.

Shut it down, said Trump. Shut down the transition. 

• Guillotine 1