Update: he is dead. Helicopter carrying Iran's President involved in "hard landing," has not been located yet

WWW.CNN.COM

A helicopter carrying Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi was involved in an incident while visiting a northern region and his condition is currently unknown, Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency...

Sounds like they can't locate it due to weather. No word on how "hard" the landing was.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Helicopter carrying Iran's President involved in "hard landing," has not been located yet

What is every helicopter crash if not a hard landing. 

He's gotta be completely paste. The weather shots I've seen floating around on twitter are awful. Opaque fog. Misting rain. Just completely inadvisable to be flying through the mountains in. 

20 minutes ago, CayceG said:

What is every helicopter crash if not a hard landing. 

He's gotta be completely paste. The weather shots I've seen floating around on twitter are awful. Opaque fog. Misting rain. Just completely inadvisable to be flying through the mountains in. 

The estate of Kobe Bryant would agree.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Are there any real geopolitical ramifications of this? I always assume the president was a figurehead and Khameni had all the power. 

The Iranian president is certainly more than a figurehead, but you're correct in that "ultimate" power rests with the Supreme Leader.

Iran Political Structure.png

38 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

In before Wade tells us to buy a full tank of gas and the price of gas doesn't change for months.

Hey think of it like hearing a rustling in the bushes and jumping back, thinking it was a tiger.

If it wasn't a tiger, you feel a little silly.

If it was a tiger, you'll be glad you moved!

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hey think of it like hearing a rustling in the bushes and jumping back, thinking it was a tiger.

If it wasn't a tiger, you feel a little silly.

If it was a tiger, you'll be glad you moved!

I want to see the tiger before I do anything, then I'll give it a big hug!

• Hugs 1

@ThreePi - from the BBC:

Many around the world are closely watching the developments in Iran, wondering if there will be significant changes to Iran's policies in the region if President Ebrahim Raisi were to be harmed.

The short answer is not much.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's leader, expressed hope that the president and accompanying officials will return safely to the nation. He requested prayers for them and assured the Iranian people not to worry, as there will be no issues in running the country.

In the eyes of most Iranians, it is the supreme leader and the Islamic Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) who make major political and foreign policy decisions.

Raisi is one of the most conservative presidents Iran has ever had and is very close to the supreme leader. He is also one of the serious contenders to succeed as Iran's supreme leader.

However, instability could certainly affect the economy. Following the announcement of the news, the Iranian Rial plummeted against the US Dollar.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Update: he is dead. Helicopter carrying Iran's President involved in "hard landing," has not been located yet