~*Official Iran/Israel War Watch Thread*~ update (04/18): Israeli missiles target military airbase in Iran

Iran apparently informed Turkey of its intention earlier in the week which was passed on to the US who in turn asked Turkey to convey to Iran that its reaction to the Israeli attack in Damascus "must be within certain limits".

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2024-04-14/iran-informed-turkey-in-advance-of-its-operation-against-israel-turkish-source

Iran informed Turkey in advance of its planned operation against Israel, a Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters on Sunday, adding that Washington had conveyed to Tehran via Ankara that any action it took had to be "within certain limits".

The Turkish source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan had spoken to both his U.S. and Iranian counterparts in the past week to discuss the planned Iranian operation, adding Ankara had been made aware of possible developments.

"Iran informed us in advance of what would happen. Possible developments also came up during the meeting with Blinken, and they (the U.S.) conveyed to Iran through us that this reaction must be within certain limits," the source said.

"In response, Iran said the reaction would be a response to Israel's attack on its embassy in Damascus and that it would not go beyond this."

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just face saving bs lol

There is something to be gained from simply putting everyone else on edge, even if you don't intend to follow through. It can undermine the opposition's confidence in their own assessments. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Iran apparently informed Turkey of its intention earlier in the week which was passed on to the US who in turn asked Turkey to convey to Iran that its reaction to the Israeli attack in Damascus "must be within certain limits".

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2024-04-14/iran-informed-turkey-in-advance-of-its-operation-against-israel-turkish-source

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iranian-notice-attack-may-have-dampened-escalation-risks-2024-04-14/

In regard to (and to clarify) my tweet above your post, Iran claimed that it also gave the US notice, and a US official is denying that there was any notice given.

WWW.TWZ.COM

U.S. warships and fighters, specifically F-15E Strike Eagles, played a major role in the defense of Israel during Iran’s barrage.

A pair of U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke class destroyers in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea were reportedly among the assets employed to shoot down Iranian missiles and drones headed toward Israel last night. There are strong signs these ships may have fired Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) anti-missile interceptors in the course of those operations, which would mark the first use of those weapons against real incoming threats.

8 hours ago, Brian said:
WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

The US will not participate in any Israeli counter-attacks, the US president reportedly said

If anyone gets paywalled, the information is taken from the original Axios article:

WWW.AXIOS.COM

Behind the scenes: Biden told Netanyahu the joint defensive efforts by Israel, the U.S. and other countries in the region led to the failure of the Iranian attack, according to the White House official.

• "You got a win. Take the win," Biden told Netanyahu, according to the official.
  • The official said that when Biden told Netanyahu that the U.S. will not participate in any offensive operations against Iran and will not support such operations, Netanyahu said he understood.
  • U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin spoke on Saturday with his Israeli counterpart Yoav Gallant and asked that Israel notify the U.S. ahead of any response against Iran, a senior Israeli official said.

The official said that when Biden told Netanyahu that the U.S. will not participate in any offensive operations against Iran and will not support such operations, Netanyahu said he understood.

Could we take this to mean only support diplomatically? Like voicing support? Or does this mean actual material support like tanker, AWACS, etc logistical support?

35 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Could we take this to mean only support diplomatically? Like voicing support? Or does this mean actual material support like tanker, AWACS, etc logistical support?

I assume the latter, at least publicly, but if Israel comes to us wanting to hit the drone factories that are also supplying Russia... we gonna say no to letting them use a tanker in secret?

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Good news on oil.

WWW.CNBC.COM

Iran launched more than 300 drones and missiles against military targets in Israel in an attack that President Joe Biden described as "unprecedented."

Didn't stop my local stations from jacking up the price by 50 cents a gallon just after the attack.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I assume the latter, at least publicly, but if Israel comes to us wanting to hit the drone factories that are also supplying Russia... we gonna say no to letting them use a tanker in secret?

No, that's the single thing I support someone--anyone!--striking inside Iran. 

4 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Depending on where you live it could be the switch to summer blend gas combined with bad timing.

That was last week for us. Most places seen a 40 to 60 cent jump even in the neighboring towns. The place were I normally fill up went from $3.86 to $4.52/gal in a week. My town went from $4.64 to $5.05 (all five stations sit at the same price), then the attack  happen the the stations one the bypass went to $5.65 while the ones in town hit $5.55. This town runs on doom and gloom. 

Also next month when Armed Forces Day weekend happens the stations will tack on an additional 60-80 cents as they take advantaged of visitors. That will last until the second week of June and it will drop back down as they will continue the high price for the 3 day weekend and the end of school.

WWW.TIMESOFISRAEL.COM

ISRAEL REPORTEDLY TO HIT BACK 'CLEARLY AND FORCEFULLY'

The Israeli war cabinet has decided to retaliate "clearly and forcefully" against the missile and drone attack carried out by Iran on Saturday, The Times of Israel reported on Monday citing the local broadcaster Channel 12.

The report says Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi think that Israel should take action in response, but without harming the US-led coalition that played a crucial role in assisting Israel in defending itself against the Iranian attack.

Israel intends to convey the message that it "will not allow an attack of that magnitude against it to pass without a reaction." The response will be coordinated with the United States, the media added.

THE ISRAELI AIR FORCE HAS COMPLETED ITS PREPARATION FOR AN IMMINENT ATTACK AGAINST IRAN

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official Iran/Israel War Watch Thread*~ update: Israeli war cabinet has allegedly decided to retaliate "clearly and forcefully"
Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

How many casualties resulted in Iran's attack? How much infrastructure was damaged? Is there any ongoing harm as a result?

1. A seven year-old Israeli Bedouin girl is the sole casualty from the attack (she was injured by falling debris),  She's in critical condition at the hospital.

2. The only infrastructure damage of which I am aware is very minor damage to two airbases in the Negev Desert.

3. Only to Netanyahu's pride.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

1. A seven year-old Israeli Bedouin girl is the sole casualty from the attack (she was injured by falling debris),  She's in critical condition at the hospital.

2. The only infrastructure damage of which I am aware is very minor damage to two airbases in the Negev Desert.

3. Only to Netanyahu's pride.

Not to diminish the pain of the child--that's absolutely awful--but it seems like Israel could garner some good will by brushing this one off and considering it a win. I mean Iran wasted a somewhat limited supply of missiles and drones.

My favorite thing I’m seeing in the bay now is these, let’s call them liberals, supporting Iran, protesting Israel, yet in recent history had not a fucking thing to say about the morality police and Iranian women being murdered for not wearing a garment.

I can not take these people seriously.

Dont laugh at Chapelle jokes though you bigot 

• Halal 1

I am generally against Israel, in terms of the government and actions of the nation state. I'm not anti-Israeli population, however. I am also generally anti-Iran government, and anti-PLA government, etc. I don't think there's a single good nation state in that region, tbh. Israel gets a few points for being more democratic than its neighbours...but it also basically has imprisoned millions of people. The neighbouring countries have also helped with this. Basically, I think all sides are to blame, and all sides are victims, and it's a cycle that will never end because no one is willing to be the last person to take a punch in any given situation, mainly because of how egotistical humans are.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am generally against Israel, in terms of the government and actions of the nation state. I'm not anti-Israeli population, however. I am also generally anti-Iran government, and anti-PLA government, etc. I don't think there's a single good nation state in that region, tbh. Israel gets a few points for being more democratic than its neighbours...but it also basically has imprisoned millions of people. The neighbouring countries have also helped with this. Basically, I think all sides are to blame, and all sides are victims, and it's a cycle that will never end because no one is willing to be the last person to take a punch in any given situation, mainly because of how egotistical humans are.

While there’s truth to this, it’s also more in-depth.

i always find it curious how Jordan and Egypt get a pass for taking Palestinian land though in the first war. And why the Arab liberation army wasn’t considered colonial but Zionism was.

This is my full coming out on this board.

Im bi. Does anyone here think I’d be safer in Tehran over Tel Aviv if I was open about that? Then why am I expected to side with people who would kill me because I occasionally like fems?

• Halal 1