~*Official Iran/Israel War Watch Thread*~ update (04/18): Israeli missiles target military airbase in Iran

ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Six months after Hamas terrorists invaded Israel on Oct. 7, the Israeli military continues its bombardment of the neighboring Gaza Strip.

Israel, early Friday morning local time, launched missiles in a retaliatory strike against Iran, a senior U.S. official told ABC News.

The missile launches follow Iran's attack last Saturday, where the country sent a volley of more than 300 uncrewed drones and missiles toward targets throughout the country, Israeli military officials previously said. All but a few were intercepted by Israel and its allies, including the United States, officials said.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official Iran/Israel War Watch Thread*~ update (04/18): US officials confirm that Israeli missiles hit targets in Iran
3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Israel, early Friday morning local time, launched missiles in a retaliatory strike against Iran, a senior U.S. official told ABC News.

No way they used Jericho, F-35I doesn't have cruise missile capability yet afaik.

WWW.CNN.COM

An explosion was heard near the Iranian city of Isfahan, according Iranian news media, citing local sources. The cause is unknown, they said. Follow for live updates.

An explosion was heard in the Iranian city of Ghahjaworstan, located northwest of the city of Isfahan, according to the Iranian semi-official FARS news agency, citing local sources.

"The city of Ghahjaworstan is located near Isfahan Airport and the eighth hunting base of the Army Air Force," FARS news said.

Iranian Press TV also reported an explosion was heard near the central city.

The cause of this explosion is unknown.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official Iran/Israel War Watch Thread*~ update (04/18): US officials confirm Israeli strike on targets in Iran
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Official Iran/Israel War Watch Thread*~ update (04/18): Israeli missiles target military airbase in Iran

Israel felt that they had to strike within Iranian borders since Iran stuck in Israel’s, and they seem to have done so in a narrow way. Now we wait for Iran to make the next move. Overall this could have been much worse. 

Why do these modern military conflicts feel like they are between two grade school aged children?

…or maybe two drunk guys in an Applebees parking lot at 12:45am?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ort said:

Why do these modern military conflicts feel like they are between two grade school aged children?

south park GIF

• True 2

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Iranian state media is reporting that the explosions heard in the vicinity of Isfahan were air defense units engaging "mini-drones" which indicates to me that Iranians could be attempting to downplay/de-escalate the situation.

Considering that Iranian state media was showing footage of wildfires in Chile after their failed attack on Israel and claiming “mission accomplished”, I’d say that we absolutely need to take anything coming from them with huge grains of salt.

7 hours ago, ort said:

I say we call for a forum between Iran and Israel where they can sit down to a meal and talk it over.

220928-waffle-house-al-1223-a96515.jpg

• Haha 2

On 4/15/2024 at 5:39 PM, LazyPiranha said:

I hope this doesn’t come across like me being a dick, I can understand where your emotions and feelings are coming from. 

I genuinely think that a lot of time you’re arguing against imaginary liberals that don’t actually exist.  Like yeah, I imagine a lot of liberals are very vocal about the issue right in front of their faces that has the potential to impact their lives in a significant way.  The fact that they weren’t up in arms about a woman being executed for her clothing doesn’t mean they like that, support that, or are even indifferent to it.  In every day conversation, you’d be hard pressed to know my stance on fracking because I am a person who exists in the world and not a soundboard of my opinions stuck on replay, that doesn’t mean I don’t have one and it doesn’t mean I’m pro-fracking until proven otherwise. I guarantee that near enough as makes no difference all of the leftists arguing Israel should move on without escalating are also opposed to that woman’s killing and it’s weird to argue otherwise.  

It’s the same with by saying that the US can’t throw stones because we’re all in a glass house which ignores the fact that tons of people were extremely opposed to throwing those stones and others were actively mislead into thinking it was a good idea in the first place.  Even after the heat of 9/11, the American public STILL had to be sold on the idea of invading Iraq, and we were fucking lied to in order to make it seem like we had a reason to do it.  It’s one of the few things people in this country, regardless of politics, largely view as a mistake we never should have made.  If you’re arguing that Israel should mimic the decisions we made post 9/11, then they are even stupider than we are because they got to watch us step on a rake and smack ourselves in the face over and over for twenty god damned years and now they want in on that sweet rake action.  

Hey,

So I periodically have to take time from this topic, it also doesn't help that we are short staffed that out of the last 21 days I worked 17 so I couldn't formulate a true response to this until now. Sending off a one liner message in triage is easy, a true post is a challenge. Just know I didn't ignore you, I meant to respond.

I can understand why many on this board may think I am creating a strawman liberal, because it seems counter intuitive, but I assure you these are things I have seen. I saw protestors in the panhandle waving Iran flags after the attack, holding signs saying "Fuck Israel" on my drive to work. We had flyers show up in my dept that said, "from the river to sea" several times and I threatened my managers about going to the ADL over it, things got addressed real quick after that. These aren't things I am just imaging here, they are things I am experiencing irl constantly.

As far as the morality police, I have seen how liberals give Muslims a pass for their bullshit that they would never give to Christians in America, because, "it's their culture" and one of the hallmarks of progressivism is moral relativism, which I do tend to support, but not at the level of human rights, there is no relativism on that for me. I've referenced it on this board prior where my friend Omar back in Undergrad went off on someone for saying the same. That they'd never excuse a Christian for saying those things so why does a muslin get it? They get wrapped up in trying to respect a culture that doesn't deserve respect, just like I don't respect Christian nonsense either. I refuse to see the second largest demographic on this planet as an oppressed minority. 

All I need say is this, I have been to Pride in Tel Aviv, in Rome, in Athens, in SF, in DC. Hooked up with guys there too. When was the last time Tehran had Pride? Think I'd be safe doing that in Muslim Majority countries? 

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The Israeli officials said they believe that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may be included. It is not clear who might be charged from Hamas. The prosecutors’ office declined to comment.

The Israeli and foreign officials also believe the court is weighing arrest warrants for leaders from Hamas.

I look forward to everyone being mad if the ICC indicts both Israeli and Hamas officials.

Great ally 

WWW.AXIOS.COM

The Israeli government warned the Biden administration that if the International Criminal Court issues arrest warrants against Israeli leaders, it will take retaliatory steps against the Palestinian Authority that could lead to its collapse, two Israeli and U.S. officials said.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

With "friends" like this one...

SPEAKING OF "FREINDS" LIKE THESE...

US and Saudis Near Defense Pact Aimed at Reshaping Middle East (Bloomberg)

The US and Saudi Arabia are nearing a historic pact that would offer the kingdom security guarantees and lay out a possible pathway to diplomatic ties with Israel, people familiar with the matter said.

The agreement faces plenty of obstacles but would amount to a new version of a framework that was scuttled when Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack on Israel triggered the conflict in the Gaza Strip. Negotiations have sped up in recent weeks and many officials are optimistic that Washington and Riyadh could reach a deal within weeks, according to the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private deliberations.

• Guillotine 1