Tik...Tok...

The US House of Representatives has overwhelmingly passed a bill that would effectively ban TikTok from America unless the current owners can sell their stake in the app within the next 6 months.  The bill will now go over to the Senate.  And if it's passed by the Senate, President Biden has promised that he would sign the bill into law. 

WWW.POLITICO.COM

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Honestly I'd rather they just pass a digital info protection law that prevents companies from collecting and using info to push content algorithms onto people. 

That would be far to clean of a solution and would shine a light on all manner of bad actors in both the private sector and government. 

4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Does the Biden admin think that because the vote was bipartisan that Gen Z is not gonna hold it against Biden? Because I definitely wouldn't count on that.

Gen Z has the attention span that rivals the length of a TikTok video, so I'm assuming Biden will be fine come November. 

I feel like this would be like putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger. Do these politicians not understand how popular TikTok is with young people these days?

And if you do feel like it has to be done... why do it right before an election? I feel like the people who want this to happen won't care nearly as much as all the people who will be deeply pissed off about it. It would not be popular.

The bill is probably DOA in the Senate anyway.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Senators have a variety of ideas on how to address TikTok, with many saying they are sympathetic to national security concerns and believe there's a need to act.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said the Senate is unlikely to accept the House bill as is and called for an open amendment process to make changes to it.

“I think it’s more than likely that we will take up their bill and amend it and say we’ve come up with some areas where we think it needs improvement,” Cornyn said. “My concern is that if you try to deal with this by name, you’re playing a game of whack-a-mole, because what’s TikTok today, next week it’s TokTik or TicTak or whatever.”

He added that the Senate won't act as quickly as the House did.

“We do things slowly over here, and this takes time,” Cornyn said.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., was noncommittal on whether the Senate would vote on the House bill, telling reporters Tuesday, “I’ll have to consult, and intend to consult, with my relevant committee chairmen to see what their views would be.”

• Guillotine 1

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Is that you, Donald?!?

A fire sale that benefits the incumbents! 

but really bytedance will sell and unless they just want to burn the whole platform down (doubtful) then users probably won’t notice any difference. I’m fine with not allowing Chinese owned companies to operate relatively freely here, but there are other ways this could work without a forced sale. 

I may have mentioned this here before but my old company was being purchased by a Chinese firm, the CFIUS forced some changes to protect data from leaving the country through an off site third party monitor who reported independently to CFIUS. And we had to protect customer PII/CSI and HIPAA controlled health records for government employees and individuals through that third party who technically owned that data.  and any requests for any communication or data to be sent to the parent company would be subject to monitoring by the third party. 

I agree that a more general data privacy bill would be good, but I don't think it really addresses the main issue which is that TikTok is Chinese owned. As shown in the past they can be incredibly sneaky on how they gather data and US laws don't really mean shit to the Chinese governement. 

Furthermore an adversarial government collecting data on our citizens is a different animal than corporations who just want to sell you shit. 

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Boy wouldn't everyone love this?

WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Bobby Kotick floated the idea of buying TikTok to both ByteDance cofounder Zhang Yiming and OpenAI's Sam Altman, The Wall Street Journal reports.

Even worse!

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Mnuchin did not specify who the other investors would be in such a deal.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From what I'm reading, the only people in the Senate who are even remotely interested in paying any attention to this bill from the House are Marco Rubio and Mark Warner.

Practically every other senator has shrugged and said, "Whatever."

Of course fucking mark Warner is involved. He fucking sucks