Boeing whistleblower John Barnett found dead in midst of testifying against company

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Prior to his death, whistleblower John Barnett was testifying against Boeing over concerns about standards.

A former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the firm's production standards has been found dead in the US.

John Barnett had worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement in 2017.

In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

It said the 62-year-old had died from a "self-inflicted" wound on 9 March and police were investigating.

Mr Barnett had worked for the US plane giant for 32 years, until his retirement in 2017 on health grounds.

He later told the BBC that workers had failed to follow procedures intended to track components through the factory, allowing defective components to go missing.

He said in some cases, sub-standard parts had even been removed from scrap bins and fitted to planes that were being built to prevent delays on the production line.

He also claimed that tests on emergency oxygen systems due to be fitted to the 787 showed a failure rate of 25%, meaning that one in four could fail to deploy in a real-life emergency.

Mr Barnett said he had alerted managers to his concerns, but no action had been taken.

43 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Boeing didn't pull the trigger, but they certainly created the conditions that cost this man his life. Along with the lives of hundreds of others lost due to corporate ineptitude. 

You sure about that? 

4 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Also I  don't think anyone else posted this somewhere, so...

It was posted in the Performing Arts forum in the John Oliver thread, but yes, very eye-opening. And he (and his team) do a tremendous job elucidating everything.

• True 1

On 3/11/2024 at 3:09 PM, CayceG said:

Boeing didn't pull the trigger, but they certainly created the conditions that cost this man his life. Along with the lives of hundreds of others lost due to corporate ineptitude. 

10 hours ago, Reputator said:

12 hours ago, Reputator said:

This is journalistic malpractice. This person the news talked to is drawing conclusions that may not be true and the news is just running with it. People who commit suicide have plans and love their families. And they still do it because of whatever reason despite this. 

This isn't proof that he was murdered and if I were Boeing I'd sue the piss out of this news station and that lady. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

This is journalistic malpractice. This person the news talked to is drawing conclusions that may not be true and the news is just running with it. People who commit suicide have plans and love their families. And they still do it because of whatever reason despite this. 

This isn't proof that he was murdered and if I were Boeing I'd sue the piss out of this news station and that lady. 

Agreed, well-put. Even if the guy was recorded somewhere saying "if I wind up dead, it wasn't suicide", that isn't proof of anything. People change their minds, make drastic decisions in low moments, etc. 

It may not look good for Boeing to sue them though. :p

I wish I knew what it was about conspiracies that so many people find compelling. I know people who think that Qanon is obvious bullshit but do believe that Epstein ran a pedophile blackmail operation despite a lack of evidence for both. I feel like I’m missing something. 

• True 1

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I wish I knew what it was about conspiracies that so many people find compelling.

In their own twisted way, conspiracies provide a "comforting" sense of "order" in a world of such seeming "randomness" or "disorder".  The arbitrariness of existence can be terrifying to many and therefore, the belief that some secret cabal is pulling the strings behind the scenes -- no matter how nefarious their purposes may be -- at least provides a sense of certainty, despite how illogical or irrational it may be.

• True 2

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I wish I knew what it was about conspiracies that so many people find compelling. I know people who think that Qanon is obvious bullshit but do believe that Epstein ran a pedophile blackmail operation despite a lack of evidence for both. I feel like I’m missing something. 

You’re not missing anything except for the sweet, sweet taste of lead based paint.

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

In some cases, it just confirms peoples' prior beliefs. 

Boeing will do anything to stop this whistleblower -> Whistleblower dies -> Therefore Boeing killed him

Because it "sounds right"

Sometimes people just don't dig any further than that to determine what's true, what's likely, and what's possible. 

I think it may also be a factor for some people that it's a simpler explanation to just say "group X is in charge and pulling the strings" than to take the effort to truly fully understand the issue, its causes and effects, the multitude of forces and people interacting, etc. 

• True 1

23 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In their own twisted way, conspiracies provide a "comforting" sense of "order" in a world of such seeming "randomness" or "disorder".  The arbitrariness of existence can be terrifying to many and therefore, the belief that some secret cabal is pulling the strings behind the scenes -- no matter how nefarious their purposes may be -- at least provides a sense of certainty, despite how illogical or irrational it may be.

You forgot the laziness and pride angle. 

I’m sure all of Putin’s opponents that died from suicide have nothing to do with him either. Just silly conspiracy theories really.

An unwavering trust in what the media tells you is not gonna help you if/when our country goes full-fascist. Better start questioning everything now. I’m not saying Boeing was definitely involved, but the circumstances are to fishy for me to say there is now way they weren’t involved. I know as little about what really happened as anyone here really, I just don’t pretend to know for certain.

FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

John Barnett devoted 25 years of his career working to make Boeing airplanes safer. But he'd spend the last few years of his life fighting to fix the distressing shortcomings he witnessed there.

The Barnett family, which includes his older brother Rodney, issued a statement reading that “He was looking forward to having his day in court and hoping it would force Boeing to change its culture. He was suffering from PTSD and anxiety attacks as a result of being subjected to a hostile work environment at Boeing, which we believe led to his death.”

As I said earlier. Boeing didn't pull the trigger, but they created the conditions that ended this man's life.

• True 1
  • Halal 1