Sony shows off next -Gen TV Technology!

WWW.FORBES.COM

Sony targets way more brightness for less power consumption with new Mini LED display

In more specific technical terms, getting the best out of a Mini LED screen for a potentially ‘real world’ display requires a processor that can separate incoming image data into LCD and backlight data as intelligently as possible in real time; a panel driver that can convert backlight data to analog levels; and an LED structure that can convert electrical signals into light as efficiently as possible. It’s in this trio of areas where Sony claims its new panel prototype goes beyond anything we’ve seen before

On the LED structure front, the new panel (we were shown various demonstrations using a 65-inch screen) combines a large number of dimming zones with a highly focused optical sheet to control precisely where the high brightness available to it is distributed. Sony didn’t state the exact peak brightness level the prototype panel targets, but it did say it was ‘in the same range’ as Sony’s new HX3110 professional mastering monitor. Which, if you’ve read my earlier article on that, is capable of reaching 4000 nits.

Sony has actually delivered 4000 nit consumer displays before, in the shape of its first 8K Z9G/ZG9 range. But those sets were famously expensive, and definitely would not comply with today’s power regulations!

The LED driver in Sony’s latest prototype screen technology is based around a new proprietary chip developed completely in-house by the Japanese giant that’s far smaller than its predecessor (Sony claims it’s the smallest such driver in the TV world, in fact), and so makes it possible for a TV to include a higher mini LED count.

This diminutive new chip also, crucially, is claimed to deliver the same level of performance power as its much bigger predecessor at a fraction of the production cost, enabling the resulting screen to deliver an increased LED count, more dimming zones and more peak brightness without ramping up power consumption or prices. In fact, Sony claims that because the screen’s light can now be controlled on a more localised basis, the prototype display actually reduces power consumption compared with Sony’s previous consumer mini LED TVs.

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Just give me a 65" 8K TV that can match the lighting and contrast of my OLED and I'm in. Since my primary use for a TV is as a PC monitor, this 8K roll out has been terrible. I'm guessing the TV for me will show up in 2025 or 26. For those not keeping track, the first 8K TV was commercially available in 2015. This means that the soonest I'm likely to buy one is 2025, 10 years after the standard was introduced. If you can't hook guys like me on the price/feature set, then there is virtually no market for your product! The 5xxx GPU series will easily be able to pull of 8K at good frame rates in DLSS games, so let's go now please! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Just give me a 65" 8K TV that can match the lighting and contrast of my OLED and I'm in. Since my primary use for a TV is as a PC monitor, this 8K roll out has been terrible. I'm guessing the TV for me will show up in 2025 or 26. For those not keeping track, the first 8K TV was commercially available in 2015. This means that the soonest I'm likely to buy one is 2025, 10 years after the standard was introduced. If you can't hook guys like me on the price/feature set, then there is virtually no market for your product! The 5xxx GPU series will easily be able to pull of 8K at good frame rates in DLSS games, so let's go now please! 

Pretty much all 8k TVs out right now are inferior to cheaper 4k models. It’s kinda weird tbh :p 

• True 1

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It's funny because I think this is a joke post but you're actually correct:

Ha, I had no idea.  Dang, someone was supposed to respond with, "Naw dog, PicoLED is the new hotness" then, "FemtoLED is where it's really at" but science had to go and ruin a potential running gag by NanoLED actually existing.  :P

Brightness, colour accuracy, size and lower cost.  That's what I care about for TVs.

4k is more than enough for my space.  Give me brighter OLED, and I'm happy.

Monitors, on the other hand...

30 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It's funny because I think this is a joke post but you're actually correct: 

WWW.CNET.COM

Displays using direct-view quantum dots, with no OLED or LCD, are just around the corner. Here's why that's exciting.

:p 

Hopefully they can get the cost down.  There have been a number of promising display technologies that have been killed, because they couldn't compete on cost (i.e. I'm old enough to remember when SED was the future).

34 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Brightness, colour accuracy, size and lower cost.  That's what I care about for TVs.

4k is more than enough for my space.  Give me brighter OLED, and I'm happy.

Monitors, on the other hand...

Hopefully they can get the cost down.  There have been a number of promising display technologies that have been killed, because they couldn't compete on cost (i.e. I'm old enough to remember when SED was the future).

I think MicroLED might be one killed by cost, but Nano shouldn't be. NanoLED is essentially QLED without the LED bulbs (it's called Nano"LED" but it's essentially just "direct view" quantum dots iirc); it's just more-or-less the "next step" for displays.

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think MicroLED might be one killed by cost, but Nano shouldn't be. NanoLED is essentially QLED without the LED bulbs (it's called Nano"LED" but it's essentially just "direct view" quantum dots iirc); it's just more-or-less the "next step" for displays.

:shrug:

You could be right.

I'm jaded by history -- I remember back in the early 00s when the common wisdom on AVForums was that SED was the display of the future, and was the obvious successor to Plasma.  They could never get the cost low enough to compete with Plasma, and then LCDs killed Plasma (not because they were better, but they were cheaper).

50 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

:shrug:

You could be right.

I'm jaded by history -- I remember back in the early 00s when the common wisdom on AVForums was that SED was the display of the future, and was the obvious successor to Plasma.  They could never get the cost low enough to compete with Plasma, and then LCDs killed Plasma (not because they were better, but they were cheaper).

I'm not familiar with the SED predictions, but my reasoning is based on that quantum dots are already in use (just within LED and OLED)

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm not familiar with the SED predictions, but my reasoning is based on that quantum dots are already in use (just within LED and OLED)

SED was essentially had the phospors of a CRT, with nano-scale electron emitters.  (Essentially, a flat-panel CRT).  Instead, we got almost 10-years of crappy (yet cheap) LCDs -- until OLEDs became viable.

WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

It was going to be the tech to beat LCD and plasma

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Of the TVs I'm actually likely to buy, it doesn't seem like this year is much of an upgrade.

I've got one 65" TV that is a cheap Roku that I've been looking to upgrade to a bigger OLED, and with this lackluster upgrade cycle from LG, maybe this is the year to hunt for a good deal on the 2023 models.

Yea, the only new one worth considering over current models would be the G4 as it’s looking to be 144hz

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Of the TVs I'm actually likely to buy, it doesn't seem like this year is much of an upgrade.

I've got one 65" TV that is a cheap Roku that I've been looking to upgrade to a bigger OLED, and with this lackluster upgrade cycle from LG, maybe this is the year to hunt for a good deal on the 2023 models.

Especially if you use Nvidia Shield that does that processing probably better. 

Also I refuse to connect any SmartTV to the internet. Fuck their forced ads and bloatware. 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Ehhhhh......

You can already play several games in 8K with DLSS with a 4090, I don't see why the high end of the 5xxx series would improve on that, especially with the adption rate for DLSS 3. 

14 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You can already play several games in 8K with DLSS with a 4090, I don't see why the high end of the 5xxx series would improve on that, especially with the adption rate for DLSS 3. 

Yeah but DLSS 3 fake frames don't count.

While I'm sure I will eat my words at some point, it does feel like we are approaching a rate of diminishing returns on TVs. Most people I know barely know about 4K (in the sense of seeking it out), let alone 8K or anything else. I think proper implementation of HDR will be nice.

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Why? They work great! 

Aside from weird UI and motion ghosting artifacts, AI generated frames don't actually create the same latency improvement that actual framerate increases would. It's just an illusion, and an 8k game running at 60fps with frame gen might actually feel like a 30fps game.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Aside from weird UI and motion ghosting artifacts, AI generated frames don't actually create the same latency improvement that actual framerate increases would. It's just an illusion, and an 8k game running at 60fps with frame gen might actually feel like a 30fps game.

There's only one way to find out! :sun:

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

While I'm sure I will eat my words at some point, it does feel like we are approaching a rate of diminishing returns on TVs. Most people I know barely know about 4K (in the sense of seeking it out), let alone 8K or anything else. I think proper implementation of HDR will be nice.

Because they don't have a cool buzzword for it. If 8K was called Gigapixel and people were hyping gigapixel TVs your dumb Canadian friends would be coming up to you asking, "how about dem gigapixel tvs eh?"

• True 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Because they don't have a cool buzzword for it. If 8K was called Gigapixel and people were hyping gigapixel TVs your dumb Canadian friends would be coming up to you asking, "how about dem gigapixel tvs eh?"

I honestly don't believe so. "HD" TVs were huge at the time, but now with 1080p and even 4K TVs being so cheap, most people don't really seem to think of them as a big deal; when someone's TV is too small for a new space or stops working properly, and then they replace it with whatever looks best on the Costco floor. Of course there are and always will be people who understand the different technologies and seek out certain things...but it seems (again, I could be wrong) that for the vast majority of the general public, people simply just want a TV that is the right size for their space, and they choose the best deal from ones they see in display areas. 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think is is right, at least in terms of resolution. We're at or at least very near the point where additional increases in resolution won't be perceptible to most people even if you've got a 100" TV screen.

On the smaller end of the spectrum Samsung has been keeping the non-ultra S phones at a lower resolution, and while I'm sure a big part of that is corporate penny pinching to eke out a few extra pennies per phone, they can do it because even on a large phone screen you can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 4K so at that point 4K is doing nothing but guzzling extra battery power for no reason (and dialing down the resolution in the phone settings doesn't really do that much because most of the additional power draw is from the extra screen pixels which are there no matter what you set the resolution to, not the additional computation push 4K).

• Haha 1