Sony shows off next -Gen TV Technology!

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It was called “CRT”

It's been a while, but I don't know that they really had good blacks. Had a 27 inch Sony vega TV (with fancy 16:9 squish mode) and a 1080i CRT HDTV though... And my glorious Mitsubishi CRT monitor that nearly crushed my desk. 

I've never actually had a LCD / "LED" TV. 

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

It's been a while, but I don't know that they really had good blacks. Had a 27 inch Sony vega TV (with fancy 16:9 squish mode) and a 1080i CRT HDTV though... And my glorious Mitsubishi CRT monitor that nearly crushed my desk. 

Yeah they definitely all had greyish blacks. I guess some super duper expensive and very late production ones had good blacks "for a CRT".

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Yeah they definitely all had greyish blacks. I guess some super duper expensive and very late production ones had good blacks "for a CRT".

My Sony GDM FW900 had better colors than my Panny Plasma :shrug:

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I honestly don't believe so. "HD" TVs were huge at the time, but now with 1080p and even 4K TVs being so cheap, most people don't really seem to think of them as a big deal; when someone's TV is too small for a new space or stops working properly, and then they replace it with whatever looks best on the Costco floor. Of course there are and always will be people who understand the different technologies and seek out certain things...but it seems (again, I could be wrong) that for the vast majority of the general public, people simply just want a TV that is the right size for their space, and they choose the best deal from ones they see in display areas. 

I mostly agree. The big jump was going from SD with analogue signals to digital and HD. We have a Sony 4k 65 inch (950g I think) in one room and an old HD 40 inch Samsung in our living room. We end up watching most of our tv on the old 40 inch. I need to swap them out but just don’t care! 

11 hours ago, Reputator said:

I do recall the FW900 being heralded as a mythical legend, but I don't think there were many, if any others at its level.

A lot of the upper end Sony CRT TVs were praised. IIRC, it was only semi-recently (7-12ish years or something) that some stopped being used as reference displays for some studios.

EDIT: this is what replaced them - https://www.filmtools.com/sony-trimaster-hx-31-4k-hdr-master-monitor-bvmhx310.html