Trump removed from Maine primary ballot by secretary of state

Jason

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It’s too bad this will be dealt with by the courts as well as in public opinion as “should a state have the power to remove a candidate from the ballot?” not “should an attempted insurrection disqualify a candidate from being on the ballot?”

Four years for a real patriot to ice the shitbag, but no luck.

• True 1

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

I don't disagree with the reasoning but I still think this is largely futile.

I’ve decided that these rulings are actually more likely to be a boon for Trump than not.  I haven’t looked into the actual letter of the law, so they might be the right decision from a purely legal perspective.  But politically they’re going to help boost grassroots turnout and fundraising for him, at least for now. 

I believe the Georgia case might be a different story, though, depending on what comes out about what he did. (these cases don’t reveal anything we didn’t already know). And regardless I think the election will ultimately turn on other things.  I’m crossing my fingers that we’ll avoid a recession next year and that Biden can broker some kind of peace deal in the Israel/Gaza conflict.  That will be more consequential than any of this IMO.

Also, one last minor point: fuck Trump.

6 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I’ve decided that these rulings are actually more likely to be a boon for Trump than not.  I haven’t looked into the actual letter of the law, so they might be the right decision from a purely legal perspective.  But politically they’re going to help boost grassroots turnout and fundraising for him, at least for now. 

I believe the Georgia case might be a different story, though, depending on what comes out about what he did. (these cases don’t reveal anything we didn’t already know). And regardless I think the election will ultimately turn on other things.  I’m crossing my fingers that we’ll avoid a recession next year and that Biden can broker some kind of peace deal in the Israel/Gaza conflict.  That will be more consequential than any of this IMO.

Also, one last minor point: fuck Trump.

I failed my economics class in high school so forgive me, but why do you think a recession is still on the table next year? Because of international events?

9 hours ago, Reputator said:

I failed my economics class in high school so forgive me, but why do you think a recession is still on the table next year? Because of international events?

There’s no indication there will be one—in fact the outlook appears favorable right now.  However, by its own nature, no one ever sees a downturn coming, and it will have been close to four years since the last contraction.  The longer we go without one, the more we’re simply burdened by the weight of sheer historical probability.

• Thanks 1

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Dr. Shirley Weber made her decision despite a call from California's lieutenant governor and some other top Democrats to remove Trump.

Let's be real, though, there's a better chance of Jeffrey Dahmer becoming a vegetarian than there is of Trump winning California.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:
WWW.SALON.COM

Defending her decision to disqualify Trump from Maine's ballot in 2024, she's since become the target of threats

They should launch criminal investigations into every swatting attempt. They also should be very vocal about it to send a message.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Removing Trump doesn't go far enough. Every Republican Senator and Rep that was complicit in Jan 6 should be removed from their respective state/district's primary ballot.

While true, removing Trump does reduce his base's turnout, which overall reduces the number of other GOP officials elected.