Sweeping Raids, Giant Camps and Mass Deportations: Inside Trump’s 2025 Immigration Plans

Jason

It's important to note that practically all of these things are probably well within the constraints of existing statutory authority and won't require further legislative action.  

Sure, they'll end up in front of SCOTUS, but I think we all know how well that will go.

All of the steps Trump advisers are preparing, Mr. Miller contended in a wide-ranging interview, rely on existing statutes; while the Trump team would likely seek a revamp of immigration laws, the plan was crafted to need no new substantive legislation. And while acknowledging that lawsuits would arise to challenge nearly every one of them, he portrayed the Trump team's daunting array of tactics as a "blitz" designed to overwhelm immigrant-rights lawyers.

"Any activists who doubt President Trump's resolve in the slightest are making a drastic error: Trump will unleash the vast arsenal of federal powers to implement the most spectacular migration crackdown," Mr. Miller said, adding, "The immigration legal activists won't know what's happening."

Trump advisers’ vision of abrupt mass deportations would be a recipe for social and economic turmoil, disrupting the housing market and major industries including agriculture and the service sector.

Mr. Miller cast such disruption in a favorable light.

“Mass deportation will be a labor-market disruption celebrated by American workers, who will now be offered higher wages with better benefits to fill these jobs,” he said.

I have no doubt that the cost of those higher wages/increased benefits won't be passed along to the consumer. No doubt whatsoever.

17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's important to note that practically all of these things are probably well within the constraints of existing statutory authority and won't require further legislative action.  

Sure, they'll end up in front of SCOTUS, but I think we all know how well that will go.

Stephen Miller legal acumen amounted to nothing when he had his first opportunity, I see no reason to believe he'd be any better on his second attempt. 

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Stephen Miller legislative acumen amounted to nothing when he had his first opportunity, I see no reason to believe he'd be any better on his second attempt. 

At the very least, the lawyers staffing a second administration will make the Federalist Society seem "tame" comparatively speaking when it comes to ideology, if not necessarily in competence:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Politically appointed lawyers sometimes frustrated Donald J. Trump’s ambitions. His allies are planning to install more aggressive legal gatekeepers if he regains the White House.

1 minute ago, Subzwari1987 said:

Nothing would please me more than to see Stephen Miller’s head under the guillotine (metaphorically of course)

I wouldn't allow him to get off so easily. Scaphism would be one of the few acceptable forms of punishment.

I do want to point out that "anti-migrant" sentiment isn't simply limited to the United States/Europe, nor is it an exclusively "white" thing.  

As you all know, I'm originally from the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean, an English-speaking country whose population is roughly evenly divided between people of African descent and East Indian descent.  Geographically speaking, Trinidad is right next door to Venezuela to the extent that on a clear day, you could actually see the coastline of Venezuela from the house that I grew up in.

Due to the economic and political instability in Venezuela in recent years, a not-insignificant amount of migrants have arrived in Trinidad seeking asylum and many of the issues and rhetoric that surround the issue here in the United States are nearly 100% reflected in Trinidad which is a country where people who look like me constitute less than 1% of the population.

Trinidad and Tobago: Court ruling on deportations will gravely impact refugees and migrants, UN experts say

A court ruling in Trinidad and Tobago declaring that the 1951 Refugee Convention does not apply to the twin-island State, could have grave implications for people seeking international protection and the lives of migrants, UN experts warned today.

“We are deeply concerned about this High Court ruling and the reported apprehension in this context, on 9 July 2023, of 196 Venezuelan migrants, including UNHCR-registered refugees,” the experts said.

On 4 July 2023, in a case brought to the High Court of Trinidad and Tobago by a refugee recognised by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) challenging a deportation order from the National Security Minister, the High Court judge ruled that all migrants who have not been granted asylum or refugee status by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago could be deported under the provisions of its Immigration Act – including those holding a UNHCR certificate recognising their status of refugee.

WWW.AMNESTY.ORG

The recent measures the authorities have adopted are extremely alarming

WWW.THENEWHUMANITARIAN.ORG

For jobless and hungry Venezuelans, Trinidad and Tobago seems like a good prospect. The reality on arrival can be harsh, especially for women.

In 2018, the Trinidadian government changed its response to the immigration crisis. Though immigrants were formerly granted free movement as their cases went through court, the policy became one of detention for asylum seekers. “We started to see some mass detention events after the change,” said Nakhid. “This trend accelerated in 2020, during elections.”

During that year, there were multiple mass detentions of migrants as well as mass deportations of new arrivals.

In July 2020, Trinidad and Tobago’s security minister called Venezuelans “boat people” who “represented a serious health issue”, and gave the number of a hotline for residents to report those without documentation. Police Commissioner Gary Griffith recently suggested the policy doesn’t go far enough, saying the current rules promote the spread of COVID-19 and amount to a “get out jail free card”

That part that I highlighted sounds like it easily could've originated from the mouth of Stephen Miller, right?

• Shocked 1
  • Hugs 1

Normally I’d say that this is just another GOP dog whistle hes blowing because their audience really respond to what they deem “strong decisive” action… but I think there would be enough support for this that he could potentially do it without consequence..

it would be a continuation of the family separations that were so popular with his base that the lack of organization and disappearance of children is completely ignored..

Like, yeah, theoretically a lot of this is unconstitutional, but one thing that should be pretty obvious at this point about how a second Trump term would go is that he's not gonna listen to anyone recommending relatively conventional choices for any position that he gets to appoint this time and he's going to surround himself with complete sycophants. And that's going to extend to whatever judges he gets to appoint, plus all of the various legal council positions.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I do want to point out that "anti-migrant" sentiment isn't simply limited to the United States/Europe, nor is it an exclusively "white" thing.  

As you all know, I'm originally from the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean, an English-speaking country whose population is roughly evenly divided between people of African descent and East Indian descent.  Geographically speaking, Trinidad is right next door to Venezuela to the extent that on a clear day, you could actually see the coastline of Venezuela from the house that I grew up in.

Due to the economic and political instability in Venezuela in recent years, a not-insignificant amount of migrants have arrived in Trinidad seeking asylum and many of the issues and rhetoric that surround the issue here in the United States are nearly 100% reflected in Trinidad which is a country where people who look like me constitute less than 1% of the population.

Trinidad and Tobago: Court ruling on deportations will gravely impact refugees and migrants, UN experts say

WWW.AMNESTY.ORG

The recent measures the authorities have adopted are extremely alarming

WWW.THENEWHUMANITARIAN.ORG

For jobless and hungry Venezuelans, Trinidad and Tobago seems like a good prospect. The reality on arrival can be harsh, especially for women.

That part that I highlighted sounds like it easily could've originated from the mouth of Stephen Miller, right?

Same thing with Jamaica

JAMAICA-GLEANER.COM

Twenty-nine Haitians who recently arrived in Jamaica are to be deported to their homeland after being charged with illegal entry and placed before the court. The Haitians appeared before the Portland...

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've enjoyed plundering that area many times in Sid Meier's Pirates!

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, while the Trump administration had a horrible record in court, and SCOTUS had little sympathy for his election stealing cases, we have every reason to believe SCOTUS will serve up plenty of home cooking for a second Trump term, especially early on.

It is a testament to the depravity of the Trump years that so much happened that it is barely even mentioned anymore that SCOTUS ruled favorably on the Muslim ban and so we have a ruling from 2017 where they have to explain why their ruling looks a lot like Korematsu 2....but it's totally not Korematsu 2 guys, stop saying that!

18 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Like, yeah, theoretically a lot of this is unconstitutional, but one thing that should be pretty obvious at this point about how a second Trump term would go is that he's not gonna listen to anyone recommending relatively conventional choices for any position that he gets to appoint this time and he's going to surround himself with complete sycophants. And that's going to extend to whatever judges he gets to appoint, plus all of the various legal council positions.

He’s intellectually feeble enough to believe that he’ll be able to do whatever the hell he wants, and the Supreme Court will ultimately protect him from any legal consequences, regardless of what the law says.

And the court is more or less intellectually craven enough to do so.

On 11/11/2023 at 2:44 PM, Ricofoley said:

I think Trump and his handlers have seized on the idea that if he sets enough fires folks will be so busy being “outraged” and in reactionary mode that they wont know what fires to put out so he can easily get away with his BS.. because its easy to take a bunch of illegal unconstitutional actions but very hard to jump through the hoops to stop them and sort out the wreckage

• True 1

2 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I think Trump and his handlers have seized on the idea that if he sets enough fires folks will be so busy being “outraged” and in reactionary mode that they wont know what fires to put out so he can easily get away with his BS.. because its easy to take a bunch of illegal unconstitutional actions but very hard to jump through the hoops to stop them and sort out the wreckage

That was Bannon’s strategy in 2016, flood the airwaves with so much shit that it’s hard to focus on one thing.

Shit, Trump suggesting his supporters should assassinate Hillary to protect their 2nd Amendment rights was barely a day long story.