Update: Naughty Dog sheds contractors as The Last of Us multiplayer project appears to be "on ice"

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Naughty Dog issues pre-emptive "Official Developer Apology" for its The Last of Us multiplayer game
7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Was this the mode where you could import names from your FB account and kill people with those names?

The only Facebook connection I remember these games is uploading the pics you took in the photobooth in Left Behind (much to the confusion of my aunt). 

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

The only Facebook connection I remember these games is uploading the pics you took in the photobooth in Left Behind (much to the confusion of my aunt). 

I wonder what game I'm thinking of. Maybe something with a camp?

Anyway... :p

49 minutes ago, Brian said:

No wonder Naughty Dog released this statement. Schreier reached out for comment and ND decided to get ahead of the article.

I won’t be surprised if this game just dies away and the assets will be used in TLOU3

makes me wonder how ambitious they were with this project. i don’t think we’ve even really seen much from it? 

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Was this the mode where you could import names from your FB account and kill people with those names?

Sort of. You could connect to your Facebook account, and then people in your camp would be named after your friends, and depending on how well you're managing your camp of survivors they could die, so you could see a message like, "Stacey has fallen sick", and if you lose a bunch of matches or don't get enough resources, it would go, "Stacy has died".

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
KOTAKU.COM

The PlayStation first-party studio behind Uncharted and The Last of Us Part II is laying off dozens of contractors

Layoffs were communicated internally at the Santa Monica, California-based studio last week, according to two sources familiar with the situation. Departments ranging from art to production were impacted, but the majority of those laid off worked in quality assurance testing. The sources said at least 25 developers were part of the downsizing. Full-time staff do not appear to have been part of the cuts. Naughty Dog’s headcount was over 400 as of July.

Sources tell Kotaku that no severance is being offered for those currently laid off, and that impacted developers as well as remaining employees are being pressured to keep the news quiet. Their contracts won’t be officially terminated until the end of October and they’ll be expected to work through the rest of the month. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Someone should perhaps explain to Kotaku that contractors typically don't receive "severance" because they're...contractors.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Naughty Dog sheds contractors as The Last of Us multiplayer project appears to be "on ice"

The games as service bubble is kind of popping anyways. I don’t think they know what to do with it or how to monetize it in a way that won’t piss off their fans, but also make it worth getting and playing. It may be a case of it being too big to include with a full priced game, not big enough for its own game, and making a MP game today designed around a season pass can backfire. 

maybe I’m just being too cynical about monetization and it really is just an issue coming up with enough modes and ideas for a full MP game that’s worth at least $40-50. 

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
KOTAKU.COM

The PlayStation first-party studio behind Uncharted and The Last of Us Part II is laying off dozens of contractors

Someone should perhaps explain to Kotaku that contractors typically don't receive "severance" because they're...contractors.

It’s Kotaku, so I assume the writer is fully aware of that but still writes it that way intentionally. 

I really hope this project had a mostly seperate team for quite a long time now and that ND’s first new game for ps5 isn’t at the tail end of the systems life.

38 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The games as service bubble is kind of popping anyways. I don’t think they know what to do with it or how to monetize it in a way that won’t piss off their fans, but also make it worth getting and playing. It may be a case of it being too big to include with a full priced game, not big enough for its own game, and making a MP game today designed around a season pass can backfire. 

maybe I’m just being too cynical about monetization and it really is just an issue coming up with enough modes and ideas for a full MP game that’s worth at least $40-50. 

I think big companies like ABK killed it with things like WZ. They offered too much for nothing and now it's killing the business as it's expected now by consumers. 

• True 1

9 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think big companies like ABK killed it with things like WZ. They offered too much for nothing and now it's killing the business as it's expected now by consumers. 

WZ killed it with crappy updates and making a sequel to WZ where you can't bring your $20 Snoop Dogg skin over.

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Biggest issue with trying to monetize something like what this game seemed to be like, is its too "realistic" a setting to create enough cosmetics to sell.

The Division had similar issues.  What do you sell for skins, different color backpacks, boots, gloves, helmets?  If its a dark gritty world of TLoU you can't really do crazy colorful whacky skins, because it'd kill the tone of the game.

Call of Duty was keeping things somewhat serious at the beginning, and now they just put "Groot", Nicki Minaj, The Boys Characters, Animals, ect in the game. 

I just can't think of what they sell as cosmetics that would really be interesting enough long term without tainting the franchise.

• Halal 1

Sci-fi and fantasy seem to be the best settings for games like that and doing cosmetic skins. That's probably in part why Destiny 2 and Warframe do so well.

CoD doing crazy over the top skins annoys me so much. It just kills the immersion of what is supposed to be a military themed game. I could maybe tolerate it more if the Warzone skins were strictly for Warzone (since it's basically more realistic Fortnite at this point), and not for Modern Warfare II, but MWII skins could still carry over to Warzone. 

• True 2

The problem with COD doing those kind of cosmetics is it starts to seem like desperation. One last awful idea before they start monetizing more of the game and increasing pricing on existing monetization to

make up for less people buying stuff. But there may come a day when even the 10m sales of a yearly COD is no longer enough to justify its existence, because post release monetization has all but evaporated. They’d instead try to invent the next live service game they can make a billion dollars a year on. 

• Halal 1

53 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

make up for less people buying stuff. But there may come a day when even the 10m sales of a yearly COD is no longer enough to justify its existence, because post release monetization has all but evaporated.

That could come sooner rather than later with Games Pass proliferation. :p

I think we'll eventually see it taken away from annual releases to something more homogenized.