Subway to sell itself for $9.55 billion to private equity firm Roark Capital who already own everything else

I have a "Thanksgiving meal" in a plastic container for me to microwave. It's gunna be good it has roasted turkey with gravy, carrots, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. Cost $10 at the store. I also bought cheddar and broccoli from panera bread to eat before thd meal. 

:angry-fap-small:

I guess I'm weird but 8 billion seems like a small amount for the chain. Maybe it's because subway is everywhere. We lost a lot of food places downtown which are fortunately coming back now, but during the worst of it there were still 4 subways within a couple blocks depending on which direction you wanted to walk.

When you live in the greater Philadelphia area/DelCo/Jersey/etc. and you have Wawa as a hoagie option, which is amazing, there's no need to ever go to Subway anyway. However, I have been to Subway a bunch of times in my life in the long past, and they were all subpar. Wawa all the way (there are other good hoagie places of course). Yes I know there are differences between subs and hoagies but since the average person doesn't know I'm pushing for the term hoagie. I do say sub sometimes though. :p 

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

When you live in the greater Philadelphia area/DelCo/Jersey/etc. and you have Wawa as a hoagie option, which is amazing, there's no need to ever go to Subway anyway. However, I have been to Subway a bunch of times in my life in the long past, and they were all subpar. Wawa all the way (there are other good hoagie places of course). Yes I know there are differences between subs and hoagies but since the average person doesn't know I'm pushing for the term hoagie. I do say sub sometimes though. :p 

I'm in PA and we have Wawa as well but I never tried their subs. Will keep this in mind. Do you guys have sheetz?

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm in PA and we have Wawa as well but I never tried their subs. Will keep this in mind. Do you guys have sheetz?

I went to college in central PA, we don't have Sheetz (for the most part) in the Philadelphia area but I've been to Sheetz many times being from PA and having gone to college at Bucknell in Lewisburg. I know central PA people argue otherwise but Wawa >>>> Sheetz (I've had many debates in the day). Especially for hoagies. I can't believe you have a Wawa around and never tried it? They are A THING around here. :p I highly recommend going and getting yourself a nice, custom-made, 6 or 10-inch hoagie. Their menu has expanded greatly in the last few years, their other stuff is solid too (the fries, surprisingly) but they are first and foremost all about the hoagies.

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I went to college in central PA, we don't have Sheetz (for the most part) in the Philadelphia area but I've been to Sheetz many times being from PA and having gone to college at Bucknell in Lewisburg. I know central PA people argue otherwise but Wawa >>>> Sheetz (I've had many debates in the day). Especially for hoagies. I can't believe you have a Wawa around and never tried it? They are A THING around here. :p I highly recommend going and getting yourself a nice, custom-made, 6 or 10-inch hoagie. Their menu has expanded greatly in the last few years, their other stuff is solid too (the fries, surprisingly) but they are first and foremost all about the hoagies.

I work in central PA in Harrisburg. I have wawa and sheetz and never ate at one of them lol. I will definitely try out a hoagie at wawa!

• Hype 1

People love to play up Wawa vs Sheetz but they're just like...different things. Sheetz is great because the menu is insane, everything is customizable, and you can order whatever you want whenever you want. Want a breakfast burrito and curly fries at 11PM? Go for it. Wawa just isn't that, though it is quite good.

The only time I had a "real Philadelphia hoagie" was on a plane ride from San Diego to Kansas City. Some guy on the plane had one and said, "You've never had a real Philadelphia hoagie?" and then shared his with me.

Later he said, "You've never seen My Cousin Vinny?" so he had a portable DVD player or something and watched on there.

Maybe it was actually @Greatoneshere

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chris- said:

People love to play up Wawa vs Sheetz but they're just like...different things. Sheetz is great because the menu is insane, everything is customizable, and you can order whatever you want whenever you want. Want a breakfast burrito and curly fries at 11PM? Go for it. Wawa just isn't that, though it is quite good.

I agree, Sheetz is more like lower quality but you can get anything and everything. Wawa is a bit more specific but I feel the quality is better. I like both, but my preference is Wawa.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The only time I had a "real Philadelphia hoagie" was on a plane ride from San Diego to Kansas City. Some guy on the plane had one and said, "You've never had a real Philadelphia hoagie?" and then shared his with me.

Later he said, "You've never seen My Cousin Vinny?" so he had a portable DVD player or something and watched on there.

Maybe it was actually @Greatoneshere

Sounds like a nice guy - how was the hoagie? And how did he have one from a flight to San Diego to Kansas City? :p 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Sounds like a nice guy - how was the hoagie? And how did he have one from a flight to San Diego to Kansas City? :p 

It's been a while but it was probably good. He also gave me a handful of trail mix. How did he have one? I have no idea, this guy was like seven feet tall or something and we don't ask those kinds of questions to people like that. :p

• Haha 2

I genuinely didn't think that Subway was even worth so much anymore. Locally, something like over a half dozen shops in town have shuttered in the last decade or so, we only have 1 left and it looks as though there's hardly anyone there ever. Then there's the new ad campaign about "Now we slice our meats fresh daily!" ... ummm, wtf was up with the meat beforehand then because no!

As for that ample portfolio, JFC I guess they do own damn near everything. Gotta love the irony of all of those fast food joints being under the same umbrella as a company that also owns so many gym chains.

9 hours ago, Chris- said:

I’m a little confused: at wawa you can get whatever you want at any time now via the order screen and can customize it (breakfast at 5pm, turkey bowl with gravy at 6am, last time I was there). Sheetz (and quickcheck) have more items/options overall, though.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m a little confused: at wawa you can get whatever you want at any time now via the order screen and can customize it (breakfast at 5pm, turkey bowl with gravy at 6am, last time I was there). Sheetz (and quickcheck) have more items/options overall, though.

I was at a Wawa as recently as a month ago and breakfast was only being served until 10-11 (whatever the exact time is). Maybe some of them are opening up the menu like that, but definitely not all of them.

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I was at a Wawa as recently as a month ago and breakfast was only being served until 10-11 (whatever the exact time is). Maybe some of them are opening up the menu like that, but definitely not all of them.

Yea, maybe it varies upon location (which is weird because I don’t believe that they’re franchised)? I was there about 2 weeks ago or so and could still order breakfast items in the mid-afternoon, and before that on July 1st at about 6am or so I had the full lunch menu available (I was grabbing hoagies and snacks for a trip to Virginia from NJ to pick up my puppy)

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

In Canada, Mr. Sub is the superior choice, even if it's clearly some kind of front for the mob. Their pizza subs are great.

mr subs is crap (every time I’ve had it). The real superior choice (from a chain) is Dagwoods but sadly they’re a Quebec only chain. 😢

39 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Speaking of food, who here has had In-N-Out Burger? Is it as good as my YouTube feed tells me? It’s only available in the west coast. 

They’re all over the west. It sucks. I’ve never been to an in-n-out burger where I was in and out in a reasonable amount of time. Always crowded. Nowhere to sit. Drive through line a mile long. And the food just isn’t worth the price you pay in time. It’s appeal is that it’s cheap but it also tastes cheap. Which is fine I guess. But again my main complaint is the crowdedness. 

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In and out is overrated. The way to make it good is to special order the fries instead of them making them good from the start

I will say they have the absolute worst fast food fries bar none. 

11 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

They’re all over the west. It sucks. I’ve never been to an in-n-out burger where I was in and out in a reasonable amount of time. Always crowded. Nowhere to sit. Drive through line a mile long. And the food just isn’t worth the price you pay in time. It’s appeal is that it’s cheap but it also tastes cheap. Which is fine I guess. But again my main complaint is the crowdedness. 

I will say they have the absolute worst fast food fries bar none. 

Interesting because I get a lot of videos where the user compares in-n-out burger to order chains and in-n-out usually wins. I guess I'm not missing out on anything.  🤷 

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Keyser_Soze I need your input. 

It's a good fresh fast food burger and cheaper than a lot of the bigger chains. The fries are made fresh on the spot so you gotta eat them fast because they are real food. You can get them well done if you want them crispy. I get them animal style and it's pretty good.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a good fresh fast food burger and cheaper than a lot of the bigger chains. The fries are made fresh on the spot so you gotta eat them fast because they are real food. You can get them well done if you want them crispy. I get them animal style and it's pretty good.

Five Guys makes their fries fresh too and they don’t suck. As mentioned if you have to cover them in stuff to make them good, then they aren’t good. 

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Five guys isn't fast food. You have to walk in and they cost like a hundred bucks for a meal.

Five Guys is good, but they are hella expensive. Just pricing it out on their website right now, a hamburger (which is a double patty), small fries, and large drink is over $18.

I think people sometime forget there is a tier for different burgers:
Fast Food: McD, In-n-Out, A&W

Chains: Five Guys, Etc.

Gourmet Burgers: Your crazy $20+ high end restaurant

Me and my coworker always have a discussion around this when talking Canadian A&W & In-n-Out. They are good for the cheaper fast food chains, Yet aren't the same as a higher end burger chain.

• True 1