Threads launches tomorrow.

The countdown timer on threads.net moved up, which makes it look like it will be launching in an hour (4pm PST July 5).

I don't currently use any Meta social networks, but if Threads can become something close to what Twitter used to be, I'll use it. Of the potential Twitter replacements, it seems to have the best chance to succeed at that.

I think the most interesting question about the app itself is how it will handle activity pub integration. If Threads does it could have knock on effects far beyond itself. On the one hand it could fracture the fediverse and make future activity pub projects unpalatable. If it's a really good activity pub citizen, it could really boost the protocol and be a launching point for all sorts of stuff. I love the idea that personal wordpress sites could be interoperable with a massive app like Instragram.

I can't be too hopeful about threads being either a useful app or an open activity pub portal, but I'm certainly interested in a Meta product for the first time in a long long time.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

The countdown timer on threads.net moved up, which makes it look like it will be launching in an hour (4pm PST July 5).

I don't currently use any Meta social networks, but if Threads can become something close to what Twitter used to be, I'll use it. Of the potential Twitter replacements, it seems to have the best chance to succeed at that.

I think the most interesting question about the app itself is how it will handle activity pub integration. If Threads does it could have knock on effects far beyond itself. On the one hand it could fracture the fediverse and make future activity pub projects unpalatable. If it's a really good activity pub citizen, it could really boost the protocol and be a launching point for all sorts of stuff. I love the idea that personal wordpress sites could be interoperable with a massive app like Instragram.

I can't be too hopeful about threads being either a useful app or an open activity pub portal, but I'm certainly interested in a Meta product for the first time in a long long time.

Blue Sky had a shot but they've probably blown it with the slow trickle of invites, and they actually closed new account creation for a bit when the fake rate limit stuff hit because their servers couldn't handle the spike in traffic. Other than the lack of server capacity this is exactly how Google blew their shot at having Google+ supplant Facebook during that brief window where there was a critical mass of people itching to get off Facebook, iirc because they turned everyone's pictures public with zero warning. 

So Threads is live and while it's clear that it was really rushed out the door, it's also clear that it's by far the biggest threat to Twitter yet. My biggest complaints are that there isn't a real web version and the lack of a chronological feed, or at least a feed limited to your follows. Both are seemingly in the works. Already more of my Twitter feed has posted their Threads handles than every other Twitter clone combined, which makes sense given that 2 billion people have Instagram and 30 million have already signed up for Threads.

Apparently it had been previously reported, but I was bummed that the Activity Pub integration isn't happening for a while. They seem intent on doing that, and I'm curious how that will work, but it's a shame that we don't have it at launch.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
FORTUNE.COM

Twitter user retention has also been declining.

A study from data-tracking site SimilarWeb finds that the number of daily active users has dropped from 49 million to 23.6 million in a week, meaning people who rushed to sign up aren’t coming back regularly.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
64c38b87cf07780019660c90?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Threads took just five days to reach 100 million users when it launched earlier this month and Meta is hoping new features will help entice users.

Threads has lost more than half its users, Mark Zuckerberg told staff on Thursday, according to Reuters.

Meta's text-based app, designed to compete with Twitter, reached 100 million users in just five days — beating ChatGPT's time to reach the same milestone.

Yet the tech conglomerate is struggling to retain the majority of them.

"Obviously, if you have more than 100 million people sign up, ideally it would be awesome if all of them or even half of them stuck around," Zuckerberg said, per Reuters. "We're not there yet."