'Leaker' claims Chrono Trigger remake in the works by SE

eventide11

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

In development for the Switch? 

This rumor is for a 2DHD or whatever Square calls that style remake so it would be done in the style of Octopath Traveler. A full remake, but not on the scale of FF7R.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

This rumor is for a 2DHD or whatever Square calls that style remake so it would be done in the style of Octopath Traveler. A full remake, but not on the scale of FF7R.

I wouldn't want an FF7R remake because they would stretch it over 3 games and 20 years but I wouldn't want an Octopath type remake either. So I'm conflicted but I've wanted a remake for that game since I was a wee lad 

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

I wouldn't want an FF7R remake because they would stretch it over 3 games and 20 years but I wouldn't want an Octopath type remake either. So I'm conflicted but I've wanted a remake for that game since I was a wee lad 

I would 100% want a FF7R remake. Octopath-style isn't that much more of a step up from what currently exists. I've already played that game a thousand times. FF7R remake would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't want it looking like FF7R, though. I'd prefer something like Kakarot or Dragon Ball FighterZ. They'd really need to keep the Toriyama art going. I mean, now would be a good time for it. Wildly, Toriyama is hot right now. Hell, even his very underrated 23-year old Sand Land manga is getting not only a movie but also a game by Bandai Namco.

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Recently watched this

It spoils the whole game, and based on that I don't think it is a game for me.

That video is WAY too long to watch, but Chrono Trigger is not a case of nostalgia talking. It is the best JRPG of the 16 bit era and still one of the best games ever created. The game was basically an all star cast of developers and everything about the game was just a full on labor of love. It's so good, but that's also its downfall. It was too good and Square has had zero idea what to do with it. Chrono Cross was basically "we can't top or even equal CT, so let's make something different", and ever since then SE has been pretty mum about touching the game again.

• Halal 1

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

That video is WAY toon long to watch, but Chrono Trigger is not a case of nostalgia talking. It is the best JRPG of the 16 bit era and still one of the best games ever created. The game was basically an all star cast of developers and everything about the game was just a full on labor of love. It's so good, but that's also its downfall. It was too good and Square has had zero idea what to do with it. Chrono Cross was basically "we can't top or even equal CT, so let's make something different", and ever since then SE has been pretty mum about touching the game again.

Oh, I mean the guy liked it a lot. I just didn't care for the told story.

Just now, Bacon said:

Oh, I mean the guy liked it a lot. I just didn't care for the told story.

The story in Chrono Trigger is weird. There are multiple paths and the story can unfold differently depending on how you complete the game and when you choose to face off against Lavos. This is still an SNES JRPG, so it's not as wide open as, like, Fallout, but t\here are a couple of big twists in the middle of the game that can radically change things. The game is a huge time traveling epic. There is no one way the story goes and there are a dozen endings your choices can lead you to.

That's why I'd prefer to see it get a FF7R-style remake. There's a lot here and I'd love to see the game get a proper remake, especially since SE killed off that fan remake twenty or so years ago.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There is no one way the story goes and there are a dozen endings your choices can lead you to.

I saw all the endings. Some of the endings are hardly an ending at all. It felt more like, "congratz, you failed to see all the content so here is an ending for that". I feel like, based on what is explained, the game has a lot of the classic JRPG dumb shit. FF4 and FF9 have a decent amount of that dumb shit that I can't help but really dislike.

25 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I would 100% want a FF7R remake. Octopath-style isn't that much more of a step up from what currently exists. I've already played that game a thousand times. FF7R remake would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't want it looking like FF7R, though. I'd prefer something like Kakarot or Dragon Ball FighterZ. They'd really need to keep the Toriyama art going. I mean, now would be a good time for it. Wildly, Toriyama is hot right now. Hell, even his very underrated 23-year old Sand Land manga is getting not only a movie but also a game by Bandai Namco.

That video is WAY too long to watch, but Chrono Trigger is not a case of nostalgia talking. It is the best JRPG of the 16 bit era and still one of the best games ever created. The game was basically an all star cast of developers and everything about the game was just a full on labor of love. It's so good, but that's also its downfall. It was too good and Square has had zero idea what to do with it. Chrono Cross was basically "we can't top or even equal CT, so let's make something different", and ever since then SE has been pretty mum about touching the game again.

Now a Toriyama collaboration.. Yes. Heck. Yes. But not the more 'realistic' FF7R look. That doesn't vibe well for me with CT

When it first came out I played this game as soon as I got home from school from 3pm until 5am the next morning. I had no idea that much time passed. No other game has made me ignore reality that much lol

My mom came in and was like oh your already up ready for school and I was like uhh.... Yeah. And then proceeded to sleep through every class that day 

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1

30 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

When it first came out I played this game as soon as I got home from school from 3pm until 5am the next morning. I had no idea that much time passed. No other game has made me ignore reality that much lol

My mom came in and was like oh your already up ready for school and I was like uhh.... Yeah. And then proceeded to sleep through every class that day 

I rented this game from this local shop the day it was released. Brand new title they knew nothing about, but they held it for me since I had requested it. Every week I went there and gave them another $5 to let me keep it for another week. I think I did that for like 5 weeks straight. It was all I did until far later than my parents had any idea. It was the first and maybe only lengthy game I beat and then immediately restarted.

When I could afford my own copy, I did the thing where I'd play through the game at least once a year. I did that for like well over a decade after its release. 

I'm there with you. No other game just captured me like that.

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

If it's a visual only remake that takes the same artsyle and puts it in the HD 2D diaroma-style, that could be fine, but I just can't see what else they could do to "remake" the game. It's literally the perfect game. I can't think of anything to change. Even the music is perfect as it is.

2 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

If it's a visual only remake that takes the same artsyle and puts it in the HD 2D diaroma-style, that could be fine, but I just can't see what else they could do to "remake" the game. It's literally the perfect game. I can't think of anything to change. Even the music is perfect as it is.

The only thing that would make a remake really worth it for me is if the entire game looked like the PSX cut scenes.

Yeah, I get that there's not much to really improve, but if you're going to bother remaining it, make it a new experience. HD 2D would be the same game that I could nearly play with my eyes closed at this point.

Also, I've heard CT music played live from an orchestra and it certainly is still a treat so I'd be down for that as well. No need to rewrite any of it.

33 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I think the HD2D games look like shitty indie games where the devs thought it would be cute to use way too many modern effects so this would be a straight downgrade to me. Do a proper 3D remake and at least show something resembling initiative. It's already perfectly fine as a 2D game, they ain't improving shit on that front.

4 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

The only game on the horizon that could possibly be anywhere close to this is Sea of Stars. It's even composed by Yasunori Mitsuda. But even if it is half as good as CT it'll be a hollow victory. But who knows, I could be pleasantly surprised 

There are always games popping up that want to emulate what CT did so well, but the issue there isn't about what CT did or how the game played or how it looked. Chrono Trigger was the result of Square managing to gather the best JRPG team on the planet, even if they worked at rival Enix. Yuji Horii of all people helped make CT. What other JRPG had both the creator of Final Fantasy AND the creator of Dragon Quest collaborating? Then you had Nobuo Uematsu team up with this newbie Yasunori Mitsuda for the music? Oh and the graphics featuring art by Akira Toriyama and Tetsuya Takahashi, the guy that founded Monolith Soft?

Just this unimaginable dream team.

20 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

The only game on the horizon that could possibly be anywhere close to this is Sea of Stars. It's even composed by Yasunori Mitsuda. But even if it is half as good as CT it'll be a hollow victory. But who knows, I could be pleasantly surprised 

Mitsuda is only a guest composer doing a handful of tracks. Still, the game has a lot of potential.

19 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean I care less about how it looks

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think the HD2D games look like shitty indie games where the devs thought it would be cute to use way too many modern effects so this would be a straight downgrade to me. Do a proper 3D remake

:thinking:

But really it seems all these remakes they make come down the looks, if they don't make it look different then a lot of people think what is the point. And there is no point in the first place, play the original unless it's totally unplayable somehow.

14 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean I care less about how it looks and more about what they'd do with reimagined content and more potential story choices.

We'd likely get another reimagining of Radical Dreamers. Really, the only reason to do Chrono Trigger in 2DHD is because it would be cheaper to follow that up with a not visual novel Radical Dreamers. I know Chrono Cross was an attempt to redo Radical Dreamers as a full game, but their weird obsession with a Suikoden-like gigantic cast of characters was a real distraction from the storyline. They had so many characters in Chrono Cross they couldn't squeeze in Magus? Radical Dreamers is a three person party and they somehow couldn't find room in Chrono Cross for the only one that was also playable in the two SNES games?

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

:thinking:

Neither statement contradicts the other. I care about how it looks less than I care about how it plays and what the story is. That said, an HD2D remake would effectively limit the gameplay options while also just happening to look like shit, so that's a double nono.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

This has been my favorite game of all time without contest since I first played it, and I only like it more with time. 

Can't wait to see how Square Enix takes a masterpiece like this and fucking unloads ass all over it. 

I haven't played it, but the Trials of Mana remake got pretty good reviews. The vast majority of the western audience had never played the game before, though. There was no frame of reference

I kinda liked that remake, but it seemed like you had very few active abilities for the several hours I played and like... tons of slots, making it seem like you'd get lots of fun stuff to do in battle. But by the time I got bored I still only had a couple and they weren't really abilities you used often, so it was kind of just mashing combos.

The voice acting was so over the top terrible that was actually fun, though.

• Halal 1