Helldivers 2 announced for PS5/PC! - update: Super Earth's managed democracy eradicates the Automaton faction, extra 1 minute break issued to all Helldivers

SaysWho?

I haven't purchased it yet since I've been occupied with other games, but as a fan of the first, it's nice to see more people playing the sequel in 2024. It looked DOA when people thought it was releasing late last year in the crowded Fall 2023 lineup, so maybe it found a perfect place early Feb 2024.

WWW.POLYGON.COM

This is what happens when a smaller studio’s game blows up

Here’s a tiny window into what it’s like for a smaller developer to have a game they’re working on blow up. Arrowhead Game Studios’ bug-squashing third-person shooter Helldivers 2 launched simultaneously on PC and PlayStation 5 on Thursday, and it’s a hit, breaking into the top 10 most played games on Steam and becoming PlayStation’s biggest Steam launch to date.

But this wave of popularity has brought with it some problems for the online co-op game. Helldivers 2’s servers are struggling, with players reporting login issues, and rewards and progression not being properly recorded.

Arrowhead CEO Johan Pilestedt took to X (formerly Twitter) and Steam late on Sunday to apologize and explain. His post is unusual in its candor and detail — not just in how it explains the exact technical nature of the problem, but the personal challenge it represents for the developers.

GGGArzsXUAALVCj?format=png&name=small

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Helldivers 2 announced for PS5/PC! - 197K CCUs on Steam (biggest PlayStation launch on Steam)

OK it's selling well, but is it good/fun, and worth the money, or is this going to be a flash in the pan game that'll lose its legs in a month? Guy at work is telling me to get it, but I don't know. I haven't looked into it too much, but it just looks kind of mid to me. 

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

OK it's selling well, but is it good/fun, and worth the money, or is this going to be a flash in the pan game that'll lose its legs in a month? Guy at work is telling me to get it, but I don't know. I haven't looked into it too much, but it just looks kind of mid to me. 

I’ve only done 3 missions after the tutorial so far- solo. It will definitely be more fun co-op. I died quite a few times during a mission because it’s easy to get overwhelmed and you can’t take many hits.  I like it. I want to get better with the controls and timing my grenades and such before I jump into co-op.  

On 2/13/2024 at 7:41 PM, nublood said:

I didn’t want to get this game but I came across this gif…

IMGUR.COM

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so...

:shock:

Starship Troopers vibes all over that

Yeah the images from that gif…that’s the standard not the exception haha. Something like that happens nearly every match. 

It’s obviously way better with friends on a mic. Like we’re talking all time great multiplayer experience with friends on a mic. But I’ve been having fun solo as well. It is tough at the beginning but as you level up and unlock more Orbital Strikes, Fighter Runs, Special weapons etc… it becomes much more manageable. I haven’t tried it yet but there are certainly the tools to take a more stealthy “get in and get out” type approach. 

The community is pretty great so far as well. Now that the servers are stabilizing I’m getting randoms join my game more often than not and every experience has been good so far. No idiots team killing just for the sake of it. 

I could not recommend this game more. 

Game Information

Game Title: Helldivers II

Platforms:

• PC (Feb 8, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 8, 2024)

Developer: Arrowhead Game Studios AB

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 91% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

DualShockers - Jeffrey David Brooks - 9.1 / 10

Helldivers 2 delivers a streamlined, premium experience, features some of the most satisfying space marine-style combat I've ever played.

CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2 is a testament to the power of teamwork and tactical gameplay, wrapped in a satirical package that's hard to put down.

COGconnected - Rhett Waselenchuk - 90 / 100

Regardless of the early-day technical issues, Helldivers 2 is an absolute blast… When it works. The high-octane, exhilarating, take-no-prisoner approach to fighting off horde after horde of enemies is utterly fantastic. Tight gunplay, excellent coop, varied and rewarding missions, and a fun upgrade system all come together to create a perfect blend of shoot-em-up chaos that I simply can’t get enough of. While server issues continue to be a considerable nuisance, I can’t help but wonder what Arrowhead Game Studios have cooking for Helldivers 2 in the years to come. Now, step forth, Cadet. The day ahead is uncertain without you.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5

“Helldivers 2” is a worthy sequel and an excellent co-op shooter. It’s a game that offers not just hours of entertainment, but a genuine connection to a community of players united in their quest to bring democracy to the stars. It’s a reminder of the joy found in shared victories, the laughter in shared defeats, and the unbreakable bonds formed in the heat of battle.

GGRecon - Lloyd Coombes - 4.5 / 5

Helldivers 2 keeps kicking me in the rear end, and I can't help but respect it. Visiting its warzones often feels like a one-way trip, to the point where I'm surprised to make it through. My group chats are awash with war stories of hard-fought victories and those times I dropped an airstrike on my head.

And through all of the chaos, like a grizzled veteran who's seen some s**t, I've got a smile on my face every time I drop.

Game Informer - Sarah Thwaites - 9 / 10

Perhaps the biggest hurdle Helldivers 2 has to face is its own success; servers have been overrun since launch, leading to lengthy wait times and faltering progression systems. Yet, for me, the indoctrination is just too strong. I'm still compelled to wait my turn to get another taste of sweet victory in this live-service diamond in the rough.

Game Rant - Brie Hoban - 4.5 / 5

Helldivers 2 is an exceptional cooperative experience, featuring a tight gameplay loop that is easy to pick up, and extremely difficult to put down. While its launch was plagued with issues, the title ends its first week as one of modern gaming's best multiplayer experiences. From the moment the opening cutscene rolls, players are engrossed in a hyper-militarized world that is just as rewarding as it is deadly. Whether players achieve a glorious victory or fail miserably, Helldivers 2 finds ways to make every mission truly memorable, by injecting its vast battlegrounds with a dark sense of humor, gratuitous gore, and uncapped replayability. After just one week, the title has proven itself a must-play experience on both the PC and PS5. With the majority of its universe still waiting to be explored, and the foundations of its story beginning to take shape, Helldivers 2 is sure to be an experience that keeps fans coming back for more.

GameSpot - Jordan Ramée - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2's randomized missions and compelling reward track make for a delightfully fun shooter.

Gameffine - Uphar Dutta - 90 / 100

Helldivers 2 is an Action-Third Person Shooter Co-op game that is entirely community-driven. The game offers an entire list of difficulties to find the perfect pick that you can handle with your squad. With a long list of planets to discover and prevent infestations by performing various operations, you are guaranteed to devote yourself to fighting for democracy for hours. With an actual seamless, optimized, efficient performance of the game and multiplayer, I was always in for a good time while playing the game.

Gaming Age - Braden Czerwinski - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2 is a fantastic co-op game with lots of content (and arguably the best structure to live service I’ve seen in a long time) wrapped up in a nice $40 package.

GamingTrend - Corvo Rohwer - 90 / 100

While Helldivers 2 may look like a tropey action game on the surface, what lies underneath is one of the most fun co-op shooters I've played in recent memory. Endless explosions and unyielding foes makes for heart-pounding gameplay as you spread democracy across the galaxy one dead bug and bot at a time.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2 is a surprise hit, featuring some of the best moment-to-moment combat and a satisfying rinse and repeat formula.

IGN - Will Borger - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2's combat feels fantastic, its missions stay fresh and interesting, and its smart progression system doesn’t nickel and dime you.

Nexus Hub - Hylton Goodwin - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2 might just be the best damn space shooter ever made - an exceptionally fun co-op experience packed with intense action, humour and style.

PSX Brasil - Mateus Alexandre - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Helldivers II came as a surprise and marks a significant moment in PlayStation Studios' console and PC releases. If it has the proper support, it will be a game remembered and played for years to come.

PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 9 / 10

There's no getting around it - Helldivers 2 is a supremely fun, frequently unintentionally hilarious and bombastic squad shooter that builds upon its predecessor and deftly sets up a long-term future in the process. Though the lack of split-screen is keenly felt and Helldivers 2 is by and large identical to its predecessor in so many ways, Arrowhead Studios highly anticipated sequel nonetheless does a great job of repackaging a shooter that not nearly enough people played into a thunderous current-gen offering that sets a new bar for extraction shooters everywhere.

Press Start - Edward Darling - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2 is a masterstroke, a sensational sequel to one of my favourite games and an absolute must play for people who enjoy simple, cinematic, and irreverent fun. The shift in perspective, the upgraded graphics and sound design, and the hard lean into satirical humour have launched it easily into one of my favourite games of 2024. I highly recommend that you suit up and hit the Hellpods soldier, I'm doing my part, are you?

Push Square - Aaron Bayne - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2 is a riotous affair, offering up best-in-class gunplay, a truly epic and often cinematic experience, mixed in with one of the best co-op gameplay romps currently available. Its present matchmaking issues hold it back from true glory, but when it works it really works, forcing you to feel a sense of patriotism for Super Earth as the score swells and bullets fly. Helldivers 2 is a hell of a lot of fun, and is the best laugh you and your mates will have on PS5.

Screen Rant - Kyle Gratton - 4.5 / 5

Helldivers 2 is a refreshingly fun power fantasy, where mastery through teamwork breeds satisfaction. Diving out of a charging bug's way and firing into its exposed back or blowing up a machine dropship before it can deploy its forces feels incredible. The game's tone is finely tuned so that getting caught in a friendly airstrike and seeing your own character's limbs go flying isn't frustrating, it's a hilariously minor setback. All told, the modestly priced, always online game takes a measured approach to its monetization while being built entirely to bolster its main gameplay loop, making Helldivers 2 a shining example against $70 live-service titles that nickel-and-dime their players.

The Games Machine - Marco Bortoluzzi - Italian - 9 / 10

What is most refreshing about Helldivers 2 is not just the fact that it's an incredibly fun game, but that Arrowhead managed to grow in scope without losing its identity: this is, without question, a game made by the same people who created Magicka so many years ago. At present state, however, Helldivers 2 suffers from some stability issues, and employs an invasive anticheat.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 9 / 10

Helldivers II provides an exciting, explosive, and tension-filled experience unlike anything else on the market right now. While the game skews any arbitrary grind or level scaling, allowing you to take the game on at any experience level and have the same enjoyable experience. Some questionable progression systems and server issues hold the experience back, but I hope to see the developers address these soon.

Use a Potion - 9 / 10

Helldivers 2 is absolutely brilliant, with the strategic yet action-packed gameplay complemented by the unpredictable madness that can unfold at any minute. Between the powerful weaponry and Stratagems at your disposal, the co-op focus that sees you working with three other players, and the sheer ferocity and overwhelming nature of your opponents, the game is packed with thrilling moments that’ll keep you on the edge of your seat as you barely scrape through each encounter. I’m completely hooked in, and with the developer promising free additions to the game in the future, I think I will be for a long, long time.

There is one big caveat at the moment though: public multiplayer is broken. Whilst you can play with friends in private games, I haven’t had any success joining a public game. I’ve been lucky enough to have friends to play with so it hasn’t affected me so far, but it is definitely worth bearing in mind if you don’t have others to play with. It is due to be fixed soon though, and when it is? You can bump my score up a notch.

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 9 / 10

Crafted with intelligence and brimming with chaotic good vibes, Helldivers 2 sets the kind of tone many others in the action space should take notice of, overcoming some early tech issues by being a sheer delight to play.

Windows Central - Samuel Tolbert - 4.5 / 5

Helldivers 2 is a fantastic co-op game where anything can and will go wrong, thanks to several clever design choices. Calling in orbital bombardments while laying waste to alien swarms and robot armies has never been more fun. However, server capacity remains an ongoing problem for anyone looking to get in.

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 88 / 100

Despite a complicated launch, Helldivers II has become one of the most fun experiences of the year. This is a clear example of how a game as a service can be positive.

Gamer Tweak - Phil James - 8.8 / 10

Democracy never felt this good! Helldivers 2 is a love letter to Starship Troopers fans. A squad-based mayhem, met with explosive laughter & tactical depth, to become one of the best chaotic, and unforgettable gaming experiences in recent years.

Impulsegamer - Marc Rigg - 4.4 / 5

Helldivers 2 is a lot of fun, assuming you can get into a match to actually play it with other people. If you're not interested in the co-op aspect of the game, then it might be a tough sell. You can technically play solo, while still being online, but there are no bots to assist, and the difficulty curve is largely designed to be tackled by multiple people. I can't guarantee the game would be anywhere near as enjoyable played like this.

33bits - Fernando Sánchez - Spanish - 87 / 100

HELLDIVERS 2 is a third-person shooter focused entirely on online cooperative play - it cannot be played offline - that has surprised by its solid gameplay, its Starship Troopers-like humor, and above all by the fun and addiction it offers. Arrowhead Game Studios has found the formula for success with this second installment of its HELLDIVERS franchise, and all that remains is to improve the online infrastructure - imperative - and grow the game to maintain its new community.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Murat Olcan - Turkish - 87 / 100

Despite its flaws, HellDivers 2 offers players real fun. Black humor disguised as democracy, propaganda, chaotic gameplay, and the relief of victory are among the game's greatest strengths. The fact that the price is more affordable compared to the newly released games increases the attractiveness of the game. However, in order to unlock the true potential of the game, it is necessary to play with the right friends; That is, friends who can laugh at the chaos and friendly fire that will occur in the game.

PC Gamer - Jon Bailes - 86 / 100

Server issues aside, Helldivers 2 is a bombastic, strategically engaging and funny squad shooter.

Paste Magazine - Matthew Reyes - 8.6 / 10

Helldivers 2 is the rare game that honestly benefits from being live-service. Just within a week we’ve already seen new missions being added with new objectives for the community to work towards that will allow all players to reap the benefits. Arrowhead’s dedication and constant communication to enhance the experience for players deserves to be commended. Alongside those rewards, there’s also compensation for players who didn’t get proper rewards for their missions and XP bonuses to make up for time lost under server maintenance. Under the right conditions (working servers and your misfit group of friends), Helldivers 2 is simply one of the greatest co-op games to come out in recent memory. The feeling of fighting for my life waiting for extraction while the orchestra is blaring away is the greatest movie I’ve ever had the pleasure of taking part in. Unfortunately, it’s not always going to be available due to factors outside the game. Yet when it all comes together, democracy has never felt so good.

Areajugones - Ramón Gutiérrez - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Arrowhead Game Studios has been able to release a sequel that improves in every aspect what was seen in its first video game. One of the best cooperative titles we've probably had in a long time, where fun and madness go hand in hand, something that, sometimes, is difficult to watch in a video game of this type. So, if you want to have some fun time with your buddies on a rainy afternoon, I think Helldivers 2 is the best thing you can play right now. Now it's your turn to be the next Helldiver.

BaziCenter - Keyvan Jahan Bani - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 takes the single most important component of the previous game and expands it into a full-fledged third person shooter, full of fast paced combat and massive explosions. It's a rewarding experience especially if played as a group, and can keep you and your buddies entertained for months.

But Why Tho? - Matt Sowinski - 8.5 / 10

The gunplay is fantastic, the gameplay loop is satisfying, and the reward progression is consistent. Its live service plans are its biggest question moving forward, but right now, Helldivers 2 is a ton of fun.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 proves a basic ideology: create something special and the players will come. Built on a foundation of cheeky satire and visceral gunplay, this cooperative shooter is engaging, charming, dynamic, and at no point feels greedy or unnecessary. It's live service done right, with appropriate progression and a feeling of global connection as you fight toward a shared goal. Server issues still impact this game's release and they aren't insignificant, yet they are still a mere minor inconvenience when compared to Helldivers 2's many triumphs.

Digital Chumps - Nathaniel Stevens - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers II from developer Arrowhead Game Studios is a team-driven experience that is goal-driven fun wrapped in a goofy Starship Troopers tip of the hat. While the gameplay can get repetitive, the reward system helps to balance it out.

Everyeye.it - Giovanni Panzano - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 was a pleasant surprise and represents the perfect evolution of that twin stick shooter that made many players fall in love with it back in 2016.

Geeks & Com - Kevin Cormier - French - 8.5 / 10

After an impressive start to the year with Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth and Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, the momentum continues. Helldivers 2 is incredibly fun, action-packed and full of highlights. You'll have the time of your life with the soldiers you meet on your adventures. Battlefields will be filled with scenes worthy of the best cinematics, and memories will be made. While Helldivers I wasn't as successful as Helldivers II, it's good to see that this one has been a hit since its release. Now we'll just have to see what the future holds. Because between you and me, Helldivers 2 could easily take the top spot in terms of hours spent on a game this year. It's enough to keep my interest renewed on a fairly regular basis. So it's in the studio's hands to stay relevant at all times. But for now, the game is fantastic. And that's what I'll remember in the end. Long live democracy!

Generación Xbox - Pedro del Pozo - Spanish - 85 / 100

As a Starship Troopers fan, I almost get excited every time I jump into my Hell pod and I don't miss the intro video every time I start the game, as a good defender of democracy. The truth is that Helldivers 2 has hit hard in my nineties heart and from what I have seen, also in the hearts of many. The question is whether it will be enough in the medium or long term for the gaming community, because it shows that you don't need to have a huge AAAA-style promotional campaign like Skulls & Bones or Suicide Squad to succeed. And that's another signal that players are giving to the big companies. Despite being a PS5 exclusive, I'm happy for the success of Helldivers 2, but even more so, because it proves that locking a game into one platform is becoming more and more of a mistake.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 brings the over-the-top action and a little frustration to a never-ending war. It makes for a fun time with friends, is not meant to be played solo and can get quite overwhelming even after unlocking the best Stratagems and gear.

INVEN - Jaihoon Jeong - Korean - 8.5 / 10

Despite the bold genre change, Helldivers 2 has successfully maintained the core enjoyment of its predecessor. The uncontrolled battlefield, incidents that make you laugh uncontrollably, and the thrill of victory make the game worth playing, even with the acceptance of crashes and glitches.

Seasoned Gaming - Eric Bezanson - 8.5 / 10

Overall, I loved my time with Helldivers 2. The most exciting thing for me, though, is how well-positioned this game is to deliver into the future.

SpaceNerd.it - Simone Montanaro - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 is an excellent Live Service that has the ability to capture players and keep them glued to the screen for hours on end.

So many mechanics that are accessible to all are the key to the success of Arrowhead Games Studio's title, which must continue to support the game not only on the content side, but also on the technical side.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 doesn't revolutionize anything, but it comes across as a focused production that knows very well what it wants to achieve. From satisfying gameplay to a well-delineated progression, Arrowhead's new game has fully hit the mark, giving players a solid and fun co-op experience.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 8.5 / 10

Helldivers II is a good game that happens to have some current teething problems. Everything - from the perfect satirical tone to the solid gunplay and variety of difficulty levels - create some exciting and satisfying gaming moments. Some of the more military simulation traits generate some tense situations, but they can be humorous moments, too. The microtransactions don't feel too bad in the game's overall scheme. If the connectivity issues can be resolved and stabilized soon, then Helldivers II can be one of the sleeper hits of the first half of 2024.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.4 / 10

Helldivers 2 is great co-op fun for fans of action and alien bugs. It's mindless fun in its purest form and a credit to the developers for refining the basics of the gameplay so well. However, when it comes to the content, the game stops surprising pretty quickly and becomes a marathon of killing thousands of enemies and repeating familiar missions. But there is plenty of potential for surprises and innovations in the future, especially after the difficult server launch.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 82 / 100

Helldivers 2 doesn't invent anything, but what it does, it does so well and in such a fun way that it's hard not to fall at its feet. You can reproach it for flaws, shortcomings and aspects that are not well balanced, but none of that prevents it from being a fun game, a guilty pleasure, especially in co-op.

Capsule Computers - Admir Brkic - 8 / 10

One of the best co-op shooters in recent years, with emphasis on team communication, strategy, and friendly fire to keep you constantly on the edge.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4 / 5

All in, this is great fun, albeit slightly limited in its longevity. While there are unlocks to push for, the core game remains largely the same from the off.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 4 / 5

Helldivers 2 is one of the most entertaining co-op games you can get on PS5.

Enternity.gr - Konstantinos Kalkanis - Greek - 8 / 10

It's funny, it's great fun, and it offers a very strong injection of adrenaline in small doses, even for those who don't have a lot of time to devote to the grind.

Eurogamer - Emma Kent - 4 / 5

With its high-chaos, high-comedy firefights, Helldivers 2 is a riot to play with friends – although its launch has been hampered by persistent matchmaking and progression problems.

Evilgamerz - Daan Nijboer - Dutch - 8 / 10

It's clear, Helldivers 2 is fun. Very nice indeed. It is not without reason that this became the best-selling Playstation game on PC within a few days. The wonderful shooting, the spectacular Stratagems and the teamwork while playing makes Helldivers 2 one big party. There are few games that can give you so much fun and chaos, combined with perhaps not the very best graphics, but one of the most atmospheric. You often imagine yourself in a Starship Troopers or Terminator movie with all the explosions and bullets around you. It's a shame that the game was plagued by so many technical issues in the first few days, but the developer has done everything they can to resolve this and has already largely succeeded. The problems must of course be taken into account in the assessment, but make no mistake, Helldivers 2 is already one of the best games of 2024 and will only get better in the future with all the new free content. And for only €40 this is a no-brainer, get that trade!

GameBlast - Luan Gabriel de Paula - Portuguese - 8 / 10

Helldivers 2 is one of the best multiplayer games in recent years: it's funny, entertaining, brutal and challenging in just the right way.

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - 80 / 100

Helldivers 2 is an excellent co-op shooter that lacks a bit of variety in the long run, despite many unlocking options.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

Server issues aside, which eventually should be eliminated, jump into Helldivers 2 and you’re bound to have a good time. Its battles are challenging and engaging, it’s got a fun sense of humour, and it’s rewarding seeing your war efforts pay off. Whether you find yourself fighting against fearsome automatons while waiting for your flag to be raised, or squashing bugs while racing to take down an illegal radio signal, chances are you’ll have a big grin on your face while doing so. And that’s what really matters. Helldivers 2 isn’t particularly big or clever, but boy, is it a lot of fun.

Gamersky - Mega杰尼龟 - Chinese - 8 / 10

Even though it changed from top-down to third-person view,, Helldivers 2 remains an engaging and unique game. It keeps almost all the good things from the first game and puts them into a new way of playing, making it even more enjoyable than before. However, unstable network connections are still a stumbling block in your fight for Super Earth. Helldivers 2 has a good start. The big question is if the developers can keep adding new stuff to keep players interested.

GamesCreed - Junior Onunkwo - 4 / 5

Helldivers 2 is a highly intense and immersive cooperative multiplayer with much more content than one can count. Of course, you can fight the creatures and droids going solo, but the ultimate experience you’ll receive is with peers. If you’re hoping for a story mode to get on, you won’t be getting much of that here. However, what you’re getting, including the enthralling missions and objectives, won’t matter much. And this game should give you hope for the future of online-based video games.

GamesRadar+ - Rick Lane - 4 / 5

"The way bugs burst and robots rupture is a masterclass in damage feedback"

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 8 / 10

Helldivers 2 is essentially the first game, except bigger, louder and more epic in scale. Despite issues with matchmaking and some desperately needed quality-of-life, it's enjoyably engaging.

Hardcore Gamer - Kevin Dunsmore - 4 / 5

Launching a live service game in today’s environment is a risky proposition. Not only are the market leaders incredibly entrenched, but launching a brand new one without a satisfying gameplay loop, content variety and character could doom a game right out of the gate. Helldivers II bucks the trends with highly satisfying gameplay, a good variety of planets to explore and objectives to complete, unique hooks and hilarious improvised moments. Gunplay is punchy, smart and requires some thought to be effective, though it can also just be chaotic fun. Unique hooks like the Galactic War where you’re just another cog in the war effort rather than the “Chosen One” adds more stakes to every match. It’s also fun to hop into a match with friends and unleash all forms of chaos. It’s not perfect with Helldivers II unable to escape every Live Service pitfall. Progression feels unnecessarily padded with multiple currencies to juggle, the fun factor doesn’t extend to playing solo and technical issues plague the post-launch week. Still, Helldivers II delivers where it matters and leaves us excited to see what Arrowhead can bring to the game next rather than leaving us pondering if the game can be saved. Helldivers II is one galactic conflict players can happily dive into.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 8 / 10

Helldivers 2 is an enjoyable third-person shooter, especially in good company. It is. It is often challenging to play but equally rewarding in terms of gameplay.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 8 / 10

Helldivers 2 is fun, chaotic and addictive. A formula filled with space action that is best enjoyed with friends. Build your squad, organize your ranks and set course for remote planets in the name of democracy. A festival of bullets and green goo that will keep you hooked for hundreds of hours.

Jump Dash Roll - Derek Johnson - 8 / 10

Helldivers 2 is the third-person Starship Troopers title that never was, which means that if you've been looking for an excuse to get into a bug fight, it's absolutely worth picking up the title so you can do your part to stop the alien menace.

Kakuchopurei - Lewis Larcombe - 80 / 100

Helldivers 2 opts for a third-person over-the-shoulder perspective, bringing you closer to the action. This, along with its humourous military fanaticism tone and its improved shooting mechanics and action, is what warrants a sequel to take this current year filled with live service games by storm.

PC Invasion - Leo Gillick - 8 / 10

A game that has more bugs than it intended but still produces a standout experience. Helldivers 2 gives scale and gravitas to alien warfare in good old-fashioned multiplayer fun.

PCMag - Zackery Cuevas - 4 / 5

Helldivers 2's thrilling action, absurd humor, and surprisingly fair monetization practices make it one of the best PlayStation 5 multiplayer games.

Shacknews - Lucas White - 8 / 10

Honestly, just take a look at your social media platform of choice right now. Helldivers 2 is exploding, in a way that even fans of the first game have not expected. And there’s a reason for that. This game is rough around the edges, but those edges are serrated; there’s an authorship to the chaos and slight jank that feels woven together from top to bottom. The systems, humor, structure… every aspect of this game feeds into the other for an experience that nails cohesion. Helldivers 2 plants its flag in the dirt and announces itself with a rare confidence in video games today. Now get out there and serve some piping-hot Liber-Tea, soldier.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 8 / 10

Helldivers 2 offers players a bountiful amount of rich and engaging content, from varied and exciting missions to satisfying gunplay and engrossing progression systems.

TheGamer - Sam Hallahan - 4 / 5

After all of this, I got what I was expecting from the game: a damn fun time. What I didn’t expect, however, is to be thinking about it so much after each game, wanting to dive right back into hell with others alongside me. I can’t wait to get better at the game, face bigger threats, to see what planets this galaxy holds, and just what each planet will throw my way. I’m not one to often fall into multiplayer experiences, but even with a quickly-resolved rocky launch, Helldivers 2 is a strong and careful foundation for the beginnings of a flagship multiplayer experience of 2024 and, if it bears the strength of its launch, into the years to come.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 8 / 10

A naked shower scene away from being an official Starship Troopers game, Helldivers 2 is gloriously daft fun when you can get a group of friends together to play. It's just a shame about the matchmaking and crash bugs at launch.

Too Much Gaming - Carlos Hernandez - 4 / 5

Arrowhead Games Studios has delivered an impressive sequel that elevates the concept they introduced back in 2015, and has established a commendable foundation for a live service title. I can already see Helldivers 2 being at the top of people’s minds when they are faced with the question – do you have any co-op shooters to recommend?

Twinfinite - Cameron Waldrop - 4 / 5

The beauty of Helldivers 2 is in its simplicity. You’re just a single soldier tasked with the impossible job of contributing to a whole galaxy’s defense. But that’s also where the game shines, as you don’t play as Commander Shepard or someone massively important. You’re essentially just a grunt who survives long enough to get better gear and further fulfill their duty. Whether you want to sink hours into the war effort or just take on a few missions, this game is perfect for as much or as little as you want to give it.

VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 8 / 10

Helldivers 2 delivers hilarious fist-clenching moments with rock-solid co-op shooter fundamentals but is held back by repetitive missions.

Wolf's Gaming Blog - Baden Ronie - 4 / 5

It’s clear that there’s a strong demand for a simple, fun co-op shooter and Helldivers 2 is exactly that. Whether you’re hanging out with a group of loyal friends or teaming up with random citizens of Super Earth, Helldivers 2 is a blast to play. Mowing down bugs in the name of democracy and dismantling socialist robots is immensely satisfying, as is calling down terrible rains of fire from your personal super destroyer. If a few other Helldivers happen to get caught up in the devastation, well, they knew what they were signing up for. Freedom must be achieved at all costs, and freedom is rarely this fun.

GAMES.CH - Joel Kogler - German - 75%

On the one hand, the game has a great addictive factor thanks to excellent multiplayer gameplay and short, crisp missions. The outstanding graphics and audio quality perfectly accompany the war on the dark front and make you want to explore every corner. Unfortunately, the business strategies of Sony and Arrowhead Games stand in the way of the good game. With regular crashes and connection problems, as well as a very limited scope and many promises, "Helldivers 2" seems more like a very good Early Access game. In addition, there is a strong focus on microtransactions, which does not allow us to fully enjoy the excellent gameplay.

Rectify Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Arrowhead’s Helldivers 2 is an addictively fun co-op shooter that delivers explosive thrills and laughs, when it works at least. The constant server and matchmaking issues prevent it from being a must play experience right now. But it is indeed a worthy successor to the original game, and a great homage to the sci-fi space action genre. Now will you show your patriotism for Super Earth, soldier?

SECTOR.sk - Peter Dragula - Slovak - 7.5 / 10

Overall, Helldivers 2 is a decent co-op game. It's simple, easy to play and quick to get into. Maybe it's not a AAA title by any means and don't expect a story, cutscenes, top graphics, but the gameplay here is good and at the same time the price is quite low.

Spaziogames - Marcello Paolillo - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 is a fun multiplayer co-op shooter clearly inspired by Starship Troopers, and that's not too bad. Some server issues (which will be resolved eventually) and good - but not outstanding - graphics make Arrowhead Game Studios' game a certainly well-crafted title, but just nothing more.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 70 / 100

Helldivers 2 offers some chaotic and entertaining moments in the early stages, as you hop between planets with friends, call in devastating strikes, and spreading democracy. But as the hours begin to accumulate, increasing difficulty levels unravel some of the annoying design decisions, and along with persistent connectivity problems, it seems that the game could have used more prep time.

ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 7 / 10

If this review reads odd, I apologize; I always try to be real with y’all so I want to be upfront about the state of things with Helldivers 2. Yep, it sucks we can’t play right now due to stressed servers, the good thing is that the game is obviously hot but the bad is that it could lose the player base if this isn’t fixed quickly. Y’all know me, I am an optimist, I have high hopes for Skull & Bones and I am sure that Sony will step in and get this resolved and we can all get back to fighting for freedom and democracy together. But in the meantime, if you don’t mind maybe not being able to play when you want, or having random crashes and missing rewards then dive into Helldivers 2. These are all growing pains and can be resolved, at the end of the day this game is blast, made more so when you are playing with friends which is evident if you watch any of our gameplay videos. If you all pick this up and happen to be teamed with ZeroTolerance, just watch ya back because he is all about completing the mission, teammates be damned. LOL.

Eurogamer.pt - Adolfo Soares - Portuguese - 3 / 5

In short, Helldivers 2 presents itself as a cooperative shooter with the potential to attract at first impulse. With multiple layers of fun, especially when played with friends, it offers some entertaining moments. However, the flaws remain evident, from a variety of technical issues to a lack of long-term content. It is possible to quickly reach the saturation point, and it doesn't take many hours for this to happen. It seems clear that the game wasn't ready to launch, lacking more polish and content, something that we hope will be resolved in the near future.

Wccftech - Ule Lopez - 6 / 10

Helldivers 2 is broken at launch. That much is almost unquestionable. The game has many high highs and also abysmally low lows. While I can recommend it for players who are seeking a good time due to the physics and the wacky situations a group of players can find themselves in at lower difficulties, it also is a tough recommendation for players seeking thrills with challenging yet fair content. That may change in the future if the developers can fix all the bugs and connection problems.

The Jimquisition - James Stephanie Sterling - 3.5 / 10

Helldivers 2 struggles to appeal after stripping out so much of what made its prequel memorable, and if that’s all that was wrong with it I’d be sadly grateful. Miserably, it’s such a wreck of a product that it spends significant amounts of time in a near-unplayable state while the rest of the time is typified by frequent crashes and other technical difficulties. You're supposed to expect a certain level of quality in a Sony-published game, and Helldivers 2 is a reminder that such expectations are naive as all fuck.

Entertainium - Eduardo Rebouças - Masterpiece

Arrowhead’s newest multiplayer slaughterfest Helldivers 2 is a blast to play thanks to its over-the-top presentation, hilariously chaotic moment-to-moment gameplay and excellent team mechanics.

Kotaku - Zack Zwiezen - Unscored

Helldivers 2 is proving to be some excellent co-op fun. Be sure to get the most out of the game by spending some time in the settings to configure the look and behavior of this bug-bashing experience.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - Unscored

Although it’s undoubtedly fun, the biggest question for Helldivers 2 is its longevity and variety. We haven’t played enough to judge that yet but then longevity is always difficult to discuss with a live service game, whose future plans are always in a state of flux. However, especially with its sensible price tag, this is definitely the best of the month’s online-only shooters, even if much of the appeal comes from shooting the wrong targets.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy

An utterly enjoyable shooter that shines the brightest with its co-op mechanics, Helldivers 2 has crushed all initial apprehensions about its live service and procedurally generated nature and delivered a dose of lovable democracy. The progression systems look to be on track to keep players invested for the foreseeable future, and the fun just doesn’t seem to want to stop anytime soon.

Even with the friendly fire and accidents that arise from having others around you, the very nature of Helldivers 2 makes it more of a positive than a negative, and that is no mean feat. Super Earth requires the effort of every person to liberate the galaxy, and it is a no-brainer to enlist as soon as you can.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - RPS Bestest Bests

Impeccable action and clever details make this a rare breed of live service co-op shooter, where the focus lies squarely on laughter instead of racking up loot.

Skill Up - Ralph Panebianco - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Helldivers 2 announced for PS5/PC! - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Servers are melting down, the game continues to add players and Sony wasn't ready.

mStuIM6.png

No one can currently get into the game, however, as servers are full. Honestly they should have paused sales of the game today, as the devs already tweeted that they knew servers were going to go down tonight/tomorrow from the rush of new players. Now those people are going to have a horrible first weekend impression, and many will likely refund.

I JUST WANT TO SPREAD DEMOCRACY

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Servers are melting down, the game continues to add players and Sony wasn't ready.

mStuIM6.png

No one can currently get into the game, however, as servers are full. Honestly they should have paused sales of the game today, as the devs already tweeted that they knew servers were going to go down tonight/tomorrow from the rush of new players. Now those people are going to have a horrible first weekend impression, and many will likely refund.

I JUST WANT TO SPREAD DEMOCRACY

Seriously!? All day I’ve been thinking about this game and how I can’t wait for the family to go to bed tonight so I can play. I was just about to sign on :angry:

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hugs 1