How much U.S. citizens, and individually Democrats and Republicans, trust different news organizations (YouGov)

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Republicans don’t trust Facebook? That’s hard to imagine. The few republicans in my life (older people) treat that site as Dan Rather speaking to them daily. 

And on the other side, liberals actually follow Dan Rather on Facebook. :p 

31 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

And on the other side, liberals actually follow Dan Rather on Facebook. :p 

I have had a facebook account forever but I use it infrequently; it’s mainly an RSS equivalent for family / friend photos. So I appreciate that I’m not an average user. But I don’t think it would have occurred to me in a million years to follow any celebrity of public figure on that platform, which is mainly what I use twitter for.

What a world.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They both trust the weather channel but republicans trust it less just because?

3 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Weather Channel will bring up topics about climate change as it relates to the weather, and Republicans believe that's bad

Also it uses data from the National Weather Service and Republicans hate “national” anything. I wonder if Trump’s feud with hurricane projections moved the needle on this at all.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

Older conservatives get lots of news from their Facebook feed, but that is separate from trusting Facebook. All of the Covid misinformation tagging really ratcheted up the distrust of Facebook itself amongst that cohort.

41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have had a facebook account forever but I use it infrequently; it’s mainly an RSS equivalent for family / friend photos. So I appreciate that I’m not an average user. But I don’t think it would have occurred to me in a million years to follow any celebrity of public figure on that platform, which is mainly what I use twitter for.

What a world.

I mean... it's not that different considering it's a newsfeed similar to Twitter. tbh, never in a million years would I have thought someone wouldn't have thought to do that in a million years!

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I mean... it's not that different considering it's a newsfeed similar to Twitter. tbh, never in a million years would I have thought someone wouldn't have thought to do that in a million years!

I honestly didn't know public figures used the platform that way. I don't think my feed has ever put a famous person's post in front of me, which is something that twitter does pretty regularly. And out of the people that it recommends I follow, it's either people I know or people connected to them, never a public figure. The more you know.

It is interesting how as people believe less and less is true they actually become more susceptible to believing untrue things are real as they tend to believe only a few sources which then take advantage of that trust and bend the readers reality as needed to push their agenda.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I honestly didn't know public figures used the platform that way. I don't think my feed has ever put a famous person's post in front of me, which is something that twitter does pretty regularly. And out of the people that it recommends I follow, it's either people I know or people connected to them, never a public figure. The more you know.

I mean, yeah? I get a quarter of the followers on Twitter as I do on FB, and now that Twitter found a way to be worse under Musk, it's easier to follow on FB and Instagram. Dan's got a few million on FB.

123270486_207617830735065_58722595321978
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Dan Rather. 2,737,771 likes · 31,617 talking about this. The world is a better place when we have an open exchange of ideas. Here I will share my thoughts and hope to hear from you.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

It is interesting how as people believe less and less is true they actually become more susceptible to believing untrue things are real as they tend to believe only a few sources which then take advantage of that trust and bend the readers reality as needed to push their agenda.

The crazy guy talking about lizard people building nano-cities in your anus while you sleep used to only have the reach of a single street corner, now they have a tiktok, youtube channel, a discord, a reddit, 3 fan pages, and a podcast. 

• True 1

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

They'll believe some random Facebook post or some random guy with a podcast, but remain fiercely skeptical of science and evidence.

It's almost like their skeptical of skepticism.

• True 1

I unfriended so many people during COVID. I used Facebook around 5-10 minutes a month now.

Fuck Facebook. I wish I could just quit it forever, but for various reasons I have to maintain an account.

19 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

They'll believe some random Facebook post or some random guy with a podcast, but remain fiercely skeptical of science and evidence.

It's almost like their skeptical of skepticism.

it’s frustrating dealing with someone who has fallen into the trap. Anything that comes from any source that isn’t a random facebook post or maybe fox news/newsmax is instantly false so there is no point in arguing because the truth is literally locked away from them. Truth has become unacceptable to the right wing in America and is simply not tolerated.

They used “fake news” as a cover to spread fake news on a national level to the extent that they broke the coexistence of reality within the American public.

I also think it’s completely unrepairable with how things are and I’m not sure what changes that.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Older conservatives  PEOPLE get lots of news from their Facebook feed, but that is separate from trusting Facebook. All of the Covid misinformation tagging really ratcheted up the distrust of Facebook itself amongst that cohort.

Fixed that for you... my mom and her friends aren't conservative at all and they got a lot of their news from Facebook. Thankfully she's waking up to how much bullshit is on there... I was worried about her during the lockdown.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also it uses data from the National Weather Service and Republicans hate “national” anything. I wonder if Trump’s feud with hurricane projections moved the needle on this at all.

Not the National Rifle Association. 

• True 1

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Fixed that for you... my mom and her friends aren't conservative at all and they got a lot of their news from Facebook. Thankfully she's waking up to how much bullshit is on there... I was worried about her during the lockdown.

After my mom passed several years ago my father who was a right leaning fell hard into conservative horseshit internet media.  It wasn't until he was in the hospital on his death bed that I found out. His phone would blow up from right fringe websites every 5 mins. He was also making monthly donations to these scummy mother fuckers. I had control over his accounts so I put a stop to it. It was very disheartening to find out someone so smart( he built and maintained rocket guidance systems) would fall for there scams.

• Sad 3