Disney Confirms Marvel Will Take Over The Xmen Films

"It Only Makes Sense"

Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Iger responded to a question on how Marvel will absorb the X-Men franchise, and if Kevin Feige will oversee it:

"I think it only makes sense. I want to be careful here because of what's been communicated to the Fox folks, but I think they know. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels."

It certainly makes sense from a box office perspective. The only X-Men movies that have crossed $300M domestic are the Deadpool films. Still, as lackluster as the films and the box office results for the X-Men films have been, the overseas numbers have been pretty good. If Disney can put out some real MCU quality X-Men films, it's easy to imagine them quickly becoming billion dollar grosses.

Still, Fox's difficulties are almost certainly what lead them to take the risks that resulted in Deadpool and Logan. I hope that Disney's purchase doesn't eliminate the appetite for those kinds of films, even though all signs point to yes.

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It certainly makes sense from a box office perspective. The only X-Men movies that have crossed $300M domestic are the Deadpool films. Still, as lackluster as the films and the box office results for the X-Men films have been, the overseas numbers have been pretty good. If Disney can put out some real MCU quality X-Men films, it's easy to imagine them quickly becoming billion dollar grosses.

Still, Fox's difficulties are almost certainly what lead them to take the risks that resulted in Deadpool and Logan. I hope that Disney's purchase doesn't eliminate the appetite for those kinds of films, even though all signs point to yes.

Yeah it's tricky. If each made 10 films, do you want 8 mediocre and 2 great from Fox, or 8 good and 2 mediocre from marvel?

I still expect Fox to operate as the label under which films like Deadpool will be released, but my guess is that characters that will appear in MCU mutant flicks will only appear in PG-13 content.

22 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I would love to see some of the cast come over but I'm sure a full reboot and new casting will happen which is alright by me.

Just wondering what cast you would like to see come over?

I think a total reboot would be good.  Things are pretty messy with xmen right now.  The Dark Phoenix movie was apparently cancelled at one point... it has been in the can for a year and they are releasing it in February.  

2 hours ago, number305 said:

I think a total reboot would be good.  Things are pretty messy with xmen right now.  The Dark Phoenix movie was apparently cancelled at one point... it has been in the can for a year and they are releasing it in February.  

The recent cast from Apocalypse. As the older cast is just too old now. But I think it will just be a clean slate.

• Guillotine 1

I still want to see Dark Phoenix. I know the Fox films have been what they are but I have still enjoyed them. 

• Guillotine 1

the New Mutants film has been ready go for even longer than that

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

If how Marvel handled Spiderman is any indication, a complete reboot and recast is probably what's going to happen. Whether or not they integrate the X-folks into the MCU is another issue but it sounds like they probably will. Curious to see how they retcon mutants into the MCU.

Mutants get created whenever the snap is undone. :p

24 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

if they are just getting invented in 2018 then they'd have to forget about all of their backstories. 

Yeah I had thought about the snap thing too.

I think one way it could work is that when they undo the snap there is some sort of time travel (which has already been heavily suggested anyway).  So that could plant Mutants way back in history.  

Some of the backstories may need updated anyway.  At this point if Magneto was a child during WW2 he is going to have to be at least 80 years old (which works perfectly if you want Ian McKellen to keep playing the character I guess, just don't know how many more movies you will get from him.)

Some mutants you can have around already. Like it wouldn't be necessary for Logan to publicly come out and help the Avengers if he's just trying to keep a low profile. And maybe he's just a super slow aging guy with fast healing/regeneration and doesn't have his skeleton yet. Not super powered enough to be much help against past threats from Loki, Ultron, etc.

43 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Some mutants you can have around already. Like it wouldn't be necessary for Logan to publicly come out and help the Avengers if he's just trying to keep a low profile. And maybe he's just a super slow aging guy with fast healing/regeneration and doesn't have his skeleton yet. Not super powered enough to be much help against past threats from Loki, Ultron, etc.

But the thought was the Snap 'created' the mutations.

You can cause a lot of damage to DNA by going back and forth.  Snip/Snap Snip/Snap Snip/Snap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGgV-2JNnM

• Guillotine 1

I hope The New Mutants and X-Men: Dark Phoenix come out first so we can at least see what those movies looked like.

Separately, this makes complete sense. I want a full reboot. More curious how they'll integrate the universe into the MCU retroactively. Since they have pushed Inhumans so much so far as a replacement to mutants and made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver products of Loki's scepter instead of being born mutants as children of Magneto, it's going to be interesting how they'll distinguish mutants from those two groups. 

• Guillotine 1

Watching basically the entire MCU catalog at home recently, I've done a complete 180.  This is a special, special film accomplishment, and I can only cheer that the people that have proven so reliable will take on even more American mythological icons (because that's what superheroes are, really).

Also, WHEN WILL THE CAP MOVIES COME TO 4K JESUS.

59 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I hope The New Mutants and X-Men: Dark Phoenix come out first so we can at least see what those movies looked like.

Separately, this makes complete sense. I want a full reboot. More curious how they'll integrate the universe into the MCU retroactively. Since they have pushed Inhumans so much so far as a replacement to mutants and made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver products of Loki's scepter instead of being born mutants as children of Magneto, it's going to be interesting how they'll distinguish mutants from those two groups. 

Oh don’t worry they retconned that out of the comics too! But I think magneto being their father was also a retcon 

anyways Fox’s Quicksilver > MCU Quicksilver. And not by a lot.

57 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

Watching basically the entire MCU catalog at home recently, I've done a complete 180.  This is a special, special film accomplishment, and I can only cheer that the people that have proven so reliable will take on even more American mythological icons (because that's what superheroes are, really).

Also, WHEN WILL THE CAP MOVIES COME TO 4K JESUS.

Damn, that is a 180! Any movies that still stood out as weaker to you? I've considered watching some of the Marvel movies I've missed. The one I really liked was Spider-Man: Homecoming.

It might piss off some of the fanbase, but I think they need to do what they can to make sure the mutants fit in with what they've already done.

They should make mutants something very new in their universe, like teens all over the world are suddenly developing powers and no one knows what's going on and there is backlash and a wide distrust of it.

Make them all young, make a new wave of MCU stuff with younger protagonists.

I'm sure a 16 year old wolverine would piss off a lot of fans, but they are going to have to completely toss away all of the old x-men stuff or it will be really weird.

1 hour ago, ByWatterson said:

That is quite a turnaround for you heh. 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Damn, that is a 180! Any movies that still stood out as weaker to you? I've considered watching some of the Marvel movies I've missed. The one I really liked was Spider-Man: Homecoming.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

That is quite a turnaround for you heh. 

It is, and here's why, I think: audiences RUIN Marvel films. They're set up to uproariously laugh at EVERYTHING, tuned like mousetraps.  It robs whole scenes of drama when light comic relief is greeted with a functional laugh track.  When you add it all up, I walk away feeling like I just digested a creampuff comedy rather than a really well-structured, acted, and written film.

Leads into your question @SaysWho? - I still find the Thor/GOTG movies too silly, hokey, and Ragnarok in particular is a 100% comedy which, while interesting in the pantheon, feels rather like Jedi Rocks to me.  Too out of place, too cute, too insistent on doing something different for no real reason.

And the ones with obvious weaknesses (Iron Man 2's writers' orgy, for instance) are still problematic.  But the mainline Avengers films, all three Cap films, Black Panther, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, and Spider-Man all just nail the comics, care about the world and the characters, and feel less like the candy they do when accompanied by an audience, and more like high achievement in pop art.

9 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

It is, and here's why, I think: audiences RUIN Marvel films. They're set up to uproariously laugh at EVERYTHING, tuned like mousetraps.  It robs whole scenes of drama when light comic relief is greeted with a functional laugh track.  When you add it all up, I walk away feeling like I just digested a creampuff comedy rather than a really well-structured, acted, and written film.

Leads into your question @SaysWho? - I still find the Thor/GOTG movies too silly, hokey, and Ragnarok in particular is a 100% comedy which, while interesting in the pantheon, feels rather like Jedi Rocks to me.  Too out of place, too cute, too insistent on doing something different for no real reason.

And the ones with obvious weaknesses (Iron Man 2's writers' orgy, for instance) are still problematic.  But the mainline Avengers films, all three Cap films, Black Panther, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, and Spider-Man all just nail the comics, care about the world and the characters, and feel less like the candy they do when accompanied by an audience, and more like high achievement in pop art.

Makes total sense - but surely you'd watched some of these movies in the comfort of your own home?

Either way, happy to see you join this side brotha. Some of the movies are really good. I still have issues with the boilerplate template they often use, and I still don't think this achieves the depth of a lot of film. But they're fun, funny, and when seen strung together, you certainly see depth in there. 

6 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

yes, but if they are all 'new' mutants you don't have any older mentor-ish role models who are 'experts' at controlling their powers and training others

They may decide to start the Xmen as youth... you know like they were when they originally debuted back in the 60's. The original team was about the same age as Spiderman who is also a teenager in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.