What's Going On At the New York Times?

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If a news organization is a publicly-traded company, it sucks.

If a news organization is owned by a billionaire, it sucks.

If a news organization is owned by a private equity firm, it sucks.

If a news organization is supported by donations from the public, then it probably doesn't suck.

If a news organization is supported by donations from the public, it is probably struggling to survive.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

In the past, news organizations at least tried to be objective.

This has always been a mass delusion. Decisions like whether to use "freedom fighter" or "terrorist" are always going to involve injecting opinion. Or you wind up with the terrible "he said, but she said" pattern of "objective" news story that's just access journalism because it's set up to treat being in a higher ranking government position as making your statement more "official" and thus more authoritative--which is itself an opinion slant toward authority.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

This has always been a mass delusion. Decisions like whether to use "freedom fighter" or "terrorist" are always going to involve injecting opinion. Or you wind up with the terrible "he said, but she said" pattern of "objective" news story that's just access journalism because it's set up to treat being in a higher ranking government position as making your statement more "official" and thus more authoritative--which is itself an opinion slant toward authority.

Respectfully disagree.  I really don't care what a 21-year old who managed B+'s in journalism school's opinion is. Most writers in papers don't have the expertise/authortity to have their opinions mean shit.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Respectfully disagree.  I really don't care what a 21-year old who managed B+'s in journalism school's opinion is. Most writers in papers don't have the expertise/authortity to have their opinions mean shit.

Yet it's still going to be there, so better to just have them be upfront about what it is.

There was a weird thing a couple of days ago where an NYT reporter was seemingly trying to retcon James O'Keefe into a creation of Trump. Described him both in the story and in the tweet about the story as having "risen to prominence during the Trump era."

WWW.ESCHATONBLOG.COM

BREAKING: O'Keefe has been ousted by PV's board. He had risen to prominence during Trump era as Trump and his followers embraced his controv...

11 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s only center left if you lack basic analytical skills. It’s pretty solidly right center to right. Think never trump vein of conservative, not full dumbass right because they can follow and create an argument, antithesis of the trump far right. 

it’s been this way for a long while. An institution for the status quo. Try to keep up

There's a significant reason why West Point has historically given a copy of the New York Times to every cadet dorm room from the first day of the fall semester until graduation. When I was that age, I thought it was because of the stature of the New York Times. But then over the years, I realized the reasoning was because there's no better herald of news in the US that buys the foundation of what the west believes than the New York Times. And no, this isn't a criticism of the New York Times, but just an acknowledgement of something people should have realized a long time ago.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brucoe said:

There's a significant reason why West Point has historically given a copy of the New York Times to every cadet dorm room from the first day of the fall semester until graduation. When I was that age, I thought it was because of the stature of the New York Times. But then over the years, I realized the reasoning was because there's no better herald of news in the US that buys the foundation of what the west believes than the New York Times. And no, this isn't a criticism of the New York Times, but just an acknowledgement of something people should have realized a long time ago.

Exactly. It's the paper of record for a reason. 

That reason is that the power elite in the US think about and see the world in a framework that the NYT so consistently expresses. The NYT being center-right is just a reflection of the ruling class in the US. 

• Halal 1

It's getting very ugly, very quickly at the so-called "America's Paper of Record".

Per Erik Wemple of the Washington Post (America's "Other" Paper of Record):

The @nytimes said it won't "tolerate" participation by its journalists in "protests organized by advocacy groups or attacks on colleagues on social media and other public forums” -- in reference to a letter attacking NYT coverage of transgender youth.

Among those who signed that letter were several @nytimes employees. The NewsGuild of NY says that members have been called into "investigatory meetings" and an informed source tells me that disciplinary proceedings are under way.

7 hours ago, CayceG said:

Exactly. It's the paper of record for a reason. 

That reason is that the power elite in the US think about and see the world in a framework that the NYT so consistently expresses. The NYT being center-right is just a reflection of the ruling class in the US. 

Right but that just makes it the paper of the aristocracy, not the paper of record. It's only been allowed to stay the paper of record as long as the aristocracy represented the voting majority.

19 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

NPR and the major OTA networks are pretty good about not letting Tom Cotton spew bile and don’t try to make you feel sorry for racists that lost their jobs for being racist. 

Have you ever watched an ABC, CBS, or NBC Sunday morning show?

There's a reason Chuck Todd is a meme.