QD-OLED shows signs of burn-in after 2 months of RTings accelerated longevity testing

Spork3245

17 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Star Wars No GIF

At least there are LG OLED actual PC monitors on the market now.

What’s interesting is that, for the LG branded ones, there’s no real difference between the 42” monitor and 42” TV besides having display port and a usb3 hub. ASUS’ version adds a better heatsink + fan, though. :sun:

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What’s interesting is that, for the LG branded ones, there’s no real difference between the 42” monitor and 42” TV besides having display port and a usb3 hub. ASUS’ version adds a better heatsink + fan, though. :sun:

And they just came out with a 27" 1440p 240Hz.  I'd really love to see burn in tests on this thing, as well as any (longtime) quirks.

D-01.jpg
WWW.LG.COM

Prepare for Victory with the 240Hz Refresh Rate & 0.3ms Response Time of the New 27'' UltraGear™ OLED Gaming Monitor (27GR95QE-B). Order Now on LG.com/us.

I know oled’s are amazing and mostly burn in proof now but the thought of it has kept me from jumping to upgrade. I lived with that stress for years with my plasma. If it was just me it would probably be fine but I don’t trust my kids. If we can go a few years of people saying oleds don’t burn in I’ll get one. Or whatever tech replaces it.

7 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I know oled’s are amazing and mostly burn in proof now but the thought of it has kept me from jumping to upgrade. I lived with that stress for years with my plasma. If it was just me it would probably be fine but I don’t trust my kids. If we can go a few years of people saying oleds don’t burn in I’ll get one. Or whatever tech replaces it.

I had my Panny plasma as my main TV for about 5 years before getting my first OLED in 2018, a B7. The plasma still has zero burn in, the B7 had burn-in about 2.5 years in with me being careful.

Spoiler

47387220-6988-46-B0-B46-E-4-FF7594865-B4 
EE8-EAAC4-EE48-4-B02-A5-EE-5-A59-BB7-BFF

Supposedly the 9-series added a better heatsink and better tech/software to mitigate burn-in, and the X-series even more-so. The upcoming 3-series for 2023 is supposedly the next “leap” for burn-in mitigation with even better cooling and software/AI. I’ve spoken with people who also wound up with burn-in within 2-3 years of a 6 or 7 series who got a 9 or X at launch for hdmi 2.1 and still have zero burn-in on it. I replaced my 7 with an X from woot.com last January with fingers crossed. I know a big thing with the X and up is that if the AI detects network logos or more static-screens (ie: an non-panning camera during a news broadcast or stand-up routine) it will subtly dim areas to keep those spots cooler to help protect against burn-in.

6 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I just bought a AW3423DW too :(. Hopefully my precautions and the built in maintence prevent it. 

I’ve seen a lot of reddit posts with people getting burn-in on theirs already, BUT, it has a fairly long standard warranty that covers burn-in.

8 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I can see burn in on my LG OLED on red as well.

Run this and cry. Green and pink are likely worse. I could see the lines whenever there’s a solid color over those spots. Also, the center is slightly discolored when certain colors are displayed there (you can see it in the red pics with how it’s darker there). There’s network logos lightly burned in as well when certain colors are displayed.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Run this and cry. Green and pink are likely worse. I could see the lines whenever there’s a solid color over those spots. Also, the center is slightly discolored when certain colors are displayed there (you can see it in the red pics with how it’s darker there). There’s network logos lightly burned in as well when certain colors are displayed.

The war in Ukraine got me all news logo'd up. 

Yep I have the same issues with red screens from my LG(around the same time as yours). Initially they replaced the panel for free even though it was 6 months out of warranty. Happened again with the replacement and now I just live with it and I’ll get a new TV in a year or so. Seemed like it was a fairly common issue with those screens back then but not an issue anymore 

On 2/18/2023 at 7:45 PM, DarkStar189 said:

I have kids, we have 3 OLED TVs in our house, the oldest being from 2017. Zero burn in on any of them.

Rtings really f'ed up the cycles for Sony TVs though. Not sure how Samsung handles compensation cycles, but it is critical part of how the manufacturers ensure even wear of the individual pixels.

For reference, LG runs their compensation cycle 15 minutes after you turn the tv off when a culmilative 4 hours of tv use. Sony wait a 4 hours to run this cycle. This is all automatic and nothing the user needs to do. So with their schedule, LG runs this cycle 21x a week vs 3x for the Sony. To top it off, I was one of the people who brought this to their attention when after two weeks they saw the burn in on Sony OLED because their original schedule did not allow Sony to run these cycles at all. Again, I'm not familiar with how Samsung handles this. 

OLEDs are prone to burn in under very specific use, but I think for the vast majority with varies viewing it really is nothing to be concerned about.

11 hours ago, jinx8402 said:

Rtings really f'ed up the cycles for Sony TVs though. Not sure how Samsung handles compensation cycles, but it is critical part of how the manufacturers ensure even wear of the individual pixels.

For reference, LG runs their compensation cycle 15 minutes after you turn the tv off when a culmilative 4 hours of tv use. Sony wait a 4 hours to run this cycle. This is all automatic and nothing the user needs to do. So with their schedule, LG runs this cycle 21x a week vs 3x for the Sony. To top it off, I was one of the people who brought this to their attention when after two weeks they saw the burn in on Sony OLED because their original schedule did not allow Sony to run these cycles at all. Again, I'm not familiar with how Samsung handles this. 

OLEDs are prone to burn in under very specific use, but I think for the vast majority with varies viewing it really is nothing to be concerned about.

FWIW, this thread was made more-so regarding the claims that, theoretically, burn-in would either not be an issue or much less of an issue for QD-OLED vs W-OLED (LG). As it turns out, it seems that traditional OLED may be more resistant to burn-in than QD-OLED at this stage of refinement. Since I’ve had OLED burn-in, despite being careful, I’ll be sticking with LG panels for the time being (until micro-LED is readily available for a reasonable price, and if it’s “close enough” to OLED)

• 2 weeks later...