AMC To Raise Ticket Prices Based On Seat Location

SimpleG

This is such a dumb idea and is another example of my long held belief that it is the actions of movie theaters that will kill off movie theaters, not any external forces 

“Sightline at AMC more closely aligns AMC’s seat pricing approach to that of many other entertainment venues, offering experienced-based pricing and another way for moviegoers to find value at the movies,” said Eliot Hamlisch, executive VP and CMO at AMC Theatres. “While every seat at AMC delivers an amazing moviegoing experience, we know there are some moviegoers who prioritize their specific seat and others who prioritize value moviegoing. Sightline at AMC accommodates both sentiments to help ensure that our guests have more control over their experience, so that every trip to an AMC is a great one.”

Translation: the seats in the front row will be at the old price, and every other seat will be more expensive than before.

• True 1

Of all the times for a theater chain to essentially shoot themselves in the proverbial foot, THIS is the way to accomplish that goal you innate moronic greed laden cunts. Your industry is reeling & doing all it can to maintain a foothold in the entertainment space and you decide this is a good idea?

Pretty sure the dumbest thing our local AMC did was remove half their seating for these huge recliner seats and nearly doubled the price to compensate, lol.  Its not hard to see why someone stops going to the theater when just 2 tickets is more than what 2 tickets and popcorn and a soda was, i don't care how comfy the seat is.

• Guillotine 1

They do nothing but stupid shit at these chain theaters, I swear. The big, fat red recliners were an absurd idea to begin with, now this? I will take a 30 min extra on the subway these days solely to avoid going to AMC. I haven't gone anywhere the IFC Center and a local indie place for a long time now. 

• Guillotine 1

7 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Pretty sure the dumbest thing our local AMC did was remove half their seating for these huge recliner seats and nearly doubled the price to compensate, lol.  Its not hard to see why someone stops going to the theater when just 2 tickets is more than what 2 tickets and popcorn and a soda was, i don't care how comfy the seat is.

My sister finds the seats so comfy she's been known to fall asleep during the movies :lol:

7 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Interestingly, reseating has been wildly successful in the industry. The business has had too many seats and too many screens after the arms race for both of the late 90s and early 00s. 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In Trinidad, movie theater seats do have different prices because the cinemas are similar in design to actual theaters.

There are typically three pricing tiers of seating: box, balcony, and pit.

Here it's the pit and box but regular ticket price in the pit unless you're in the first row. 

18 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Seems like the only time you'd have to actually pay extra is if you're going to sold out show because there's no way they're actually going to be able to have somebody enforcing this for every screen in the building.

They'll probably get a handful of people willing to cough up the blood money to make sure they get the exact seat they want. I remember seeing a movie at the AMC Lincoln Square IMAX one time and IIRC it was literally me and one other person two seats over in the theater. There's a sweet spot that's exactly dead-center both horizontally and vertically, which is why I picked the seat I did, and I assume is why the other guy (who came in after I did I think) decided to still sit in his picked seat despite it meaning being two seats over from somebody in an otherwise empty theater. I bet that guy would have paid extra to make sure nobody beat him to the seat and frankly I might very well have to.

But I've got to imagine people who care about getting that exact dead-center seating are a vanishingly small minority of theater goers, so it'll almost certainly be a net money loser for them compared to all the people it induces to just stay home. Plus just because I care about that for some movies doesn't mean I care about that for every single movie. TDK/TDKR on IMAX? Sure, I very much care about the seat. Some random romcom (not that I'm likely to go to the theater for a romcom but just speaking hypothetically)? I definitely don't give a shit.

Personally, while the audio/cinephile I am does enjoy being dead smack in the middle of the middle row, I actually now use that spot more so to utilize the metal bar to put my feet on to alleviate back pain. I still go to my local Marcus theater chain every now & then as their experience is a hell of a lot of fun, albeit slightly higher pricing. In all seriousness, major movie theater chains need to incorporate alcohol sales into their offerings, they'll earn more money back that way.