PC Community Thread

stepee

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Even without a GPU upgrade, your 3080 is going to feel as if you moved up 2 GPU generations

:sickos:

I’ve done mostly fine with the stuff I’ve played, but I was definitely ready for an upgrade. I look forward to seeing the boosts. I run at 1440p on a 144hz monitor. 

It’s the game room PC I’m really hyped for. TLOU runs like ass and it has the same CPU, except it’s got a 7900xtx in it. Ready to hopefully run that game in 4k glory. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Go over this checklist to make sure all the software was installed properly:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/5.html

In the BIOS have you tried changing the preferred CCD to "cache" instead of outright disabling the non-cache one?  AMD recommends "auto", but setting it to "cache" should make it like a 7800x3D 90% of the time.

slide-8.jpg

Thank you! Yeah after testing more games  last night the improvement was across the board on everything to a decent degree, so I think it might not be profiling right so I’ll try all this later. Would be nice to get that best of both worlds benefit for my $200 extra, rather than letting those 8 cores just sit there until the right game comes along.

It’s crazy when running off ccd0 how good this cpu, and by extension the 7800x3d is. It really brute forces past most cpu bottlenecks now and puts the bottleneck back on the gpu which is where I want it so I can just scale to taste. Even the trouble games I test are now primarily 120fps average. Calisto Protocol is the one exception so far but I have to scale the gpu settings down past how I would actually play it to reach the cpu bottleneck there.

6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Go over this checklist to make sure all the software was installed properly:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/5.html

In the BIOS have you tried changing the preferred CCD to "cache" instead of outright disabling the non-cache one?  AMD recommends "auto", but setting it to "cache" should make it like a 7800x3D 90% of the time.

slide-8.jpg

Yeah I think it was the having to install the chipset after updating game bar thing! I was indeed missing the 3d cache optimizer in my device manager - which is a pretty important thing for this!

So I put back all 16 cores and have that installed now and tested Calisto Protocol and it hit fucking 101fps average! I can tell just looking at afterburner now when it’s set correctly so that’ll make it easy to find any games I might want to remove the 8 cores for but seems like that might not be needed as I had thought.

I tried after the chipset driver update to test again in 7800x3d mode but it actually performed the same 97fps in CP. I can see the stress points where with all 16 cords it manages to push past further so I guess some things will be better this way too. I like having the flexibility actually. 

This cpu just keeps getting better, beaaaaassst.

• Halal 1

Ok yeah tried RE4R cabin scene as thats the the most grueling cpu scene I’ve seen in a game beyond Callisto Protocol and that one does work better with only 8 cores still, so it’s really going to depend on the game.

I think I might be able to tell when a game would be better on 8core by how hard the cpu is working. It’s working hard in CP and works best with 16 cores, it’s hardly working at all in RE4R cabin scene. So probably when a game is struggling on cpu but hardly using any of it, that is a sign I might get a benefit by switching. But it’s also the only scene in a video game I can think of that could use it right now anyway.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

God damn it, Seagate 

WWW.SEAGATE.COM

Prepare for battle with the Lightsaber Collection Special Edition FireCuda PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD, featuring three iconic Star Wars faceplates.

@stepee

I actually legit like these if it just didn’t have the name on them, it ruins it for me a bit :(

19 hours ago, Nokra said:

I like how this is the "community" thread and it's nothing but PC people talking shop for 16 pages. :lol:

:hug:

It’s a general pc talk for the pc community thread, not a community thread for the pc community - we have an entire off topic section for that! 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s a general pc talk for the pc community thread, not a community thread for the pc community - we have an entire off topic section for that! 

I was using an old PC today and broke the cupholder. Weird they would make them so flimsy, but I guess that's why modern PCs don't have one that comes out.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

You MFers have me really close to pulling the trigger on a 7800x3D + ASUS X670e-E Gaming. You know what's stopping me? What's honestly the reason I'm not pulling the trigger? I DON'T WANT TO ONLY BE ABLE TO RUN TWO RAM STICKS. It messes up the RGB, badly. :nottalking:

You already solved that problem last week with those blanks from Corsair!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Oh :( I was looking forward to them, thought they were coming soon for some reason.

You'd think Corsair would put a hurry on them since you can't run 4xdimms unless you want it at like 4800mhz. I think Intel has issues too, correct? Corsair would make a quick killing with these on DDR5.

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You'd think Corsair would put a hurry on them since you can't run 4xdimms unless you want it at like 4800mhz. I think Intel has issues too, correct? Corsair would make a quick killing with these on DDR5.

Can’t cost them more than like $3 to make these too. They really should get it going. 

3 hours ago, stepee said:

That's fine. I'm just pointing out that the thread title doesn't imply this. :p 

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

THEY DON'T EXIST FOR DDR5
SO, I GUESS WHAT I'M SAYING IS "THANK YOU, CORSAIR - YOU HAVE STOPPED ME FROM A POINTLESS UPGRADE"

.. :santasun:

That sucked so bad when I upgraded. I legit want another ddr5 6000 kit for the RGB.

Ok boys. I need ideas I am tired of working in a call center. I started up twitch and asked permission from youtube for streaming. Might as well make those other cores do stuff. 

How do I shill DayOnePatch? Should I just take the name and mention that it's a small close knit community of former IGN boards users? My account's name is kasrkinsquad but I could change it to advertise us. 

Not looking to be a millionaire or anything but if I can make youtube vids and it pays the bills id rather do that then my current job. Even if like I need to like take Ls on PC and set up upgrades and even if it means some months I need to rely on my mom to not starve. 

Most important question. Doggo cams? Like a camera on Diany (yes my dog is named after my ex-wife) and Myloh. They are cute after all.

36 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ok boys. I need ideas I am tired of working in a call center. I started up twitch and asked permission from youtube for streaming. Might as well make those other cores do stuff. 

How do I shill DayOnePatch? Should I just take the name and mention that it's a small close knit community of former IGN boards users? My account's name is kasrkinsquad but I could change it to advertise us. 

Not looking to be a millionaire or anything but if I can make youtube vids and it pays the bills id rather do that then my current job. Even if like I need to like take Ls on PC and set up upgrades and even if it means some months I need to rely on my mom to not starve. 

Most important question. Doggo cams? Like a camera on Diany (yes my dog is named after my ex-wife) and Myloh. They are cute after all.

Also, in the same spirit as @XxEvil AshxX I started doing youtube stuff (but he probably has a better idea of what he's doing). I considered linking here but I doubt anyone wanted to see my dumb ass or the ancient game I was playing. :lol: At the very least it was good editing, graphic design, etc. practice.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also, in the same spirit as @XxEvil AshxX I started doing youtube stuff (but he probably has a better idea of what he's doing). I considered linking here but I doubt anyone wanted to see my dumb ass or the ancient game I was playing. :lol: At the very least it was good editing, graphic design, etc. practice.

I guess I have to learn that if I want to do this. I'm an intellectual so like writing books I guess is my ideal job but making even if it's just parasocial relationships sounds nice and ya kno I'd rather earn income from like donations from my work then a salary or book sales. 

My job isn't terrible it's technically great but it's a job in capitalism so it's alienating. I'd want to be like a teacher or a therapist but you need a masters for those. Which I find crazy because atleast with therapists there is a a test I'd have to pass. You could hypothetically just let people take a test on being a therapist and I dunno just let them fail it if they don't know enough. That wouldn't keep people in student debt though. 

Yes I am complaining about that making society a "meritocratic" is a great way of putting people in student debt and locking them into whatever decent or better job they want. Employer provided health care is a feature not a bug. I can't just up and quit a job I don't particularly find fulling because I need diabetic meds and SNRI meds and those cost alot for one that I'd  basically die without. It's all about getting these dead presidents though.