PC Community Thread

stepee

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

For $700? 3090 isn't worth it unless you absolutely need the 24GB of memory for production. 4070 Ti just uses so much less power, produces less heat, and will have better driver support.

+DLSS3

So I got a new modem to increase wifi speed in my home. Well it has turned out the speed is even worse than it was previously.

What's everyone's thoughts on WiFi Extender Signal Boosters? I can buy one on Amazon for $60 and have it shipped here tomorrow. What exactly do these entail for hookup?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

So I got a new modem to increase wifi speed in my home. Well it has turned out the speed is even worse than it was previously.

What's everyone's thoughts on WiFi Extender Signal Boosters? I can buy one on Amazon for $60 and have it shipped here tomorrow. What exactly do these entail for hookup?

Can’t you just pay to upgrade their internet?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

What router are you using for your WIFI?

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I don't have a router just a modem. That's why I want to get this booster by tomorrow if it's a good idea. 

You do have a router or you don’t have wifi. You likely have a modem/router combo. Is it through Xfinity still? They sell xfi repeaters which would probably be easiest to set up for that.

Just don’t expect decent game streaming still unless the system providing content can be itself connected to ethernet. But something like xcloud could be feasible if you can get a good wifi going.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

You do have a router or you don’t have wifi. You likely have a modem/router combo. Is it through Xfinity still? They sell xfi repeaters which would probably be easiest to set up for that.

Just don’t expect decent game streaming still unless the system providing content can be itself connected to ethernet. But something like xcloud could be feasible if you can get a good wifi going.

Yes it's a mix of a router/modem. My bad. Yes, this is still Comcast. Interesting thing is I called them to troubleshoot this issue about an hour ago and now my connection is terrific? Maybe it just needed restarted? 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes it's a mix of a router/modem. My bad. Yes, this is still Comcast. Interesting thing is I called them to troubleshoot this issue about an hour ago and now my connection is terrific? Maybe it just needed restarted? 

Could be or something was wrong on their end and they fixed it but didn’t say what it was.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Could be or something was wrong on their end and they fixed it but didn’t say what it was.

Yea because it's super fast now. Before calling them nothing would even load. No everything is instantaneous. 

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Nvidia Deep Learning Super Sampling 3.7.0 is now available and appears to improve upscaled image quality in games, particularly in motion.

Features like Frame Generation and Ray Reconstruction have tended to define major Nvidia DLSS updates, complete with large amounts of fanfare, but other updates arrive regularly too only with far less pomp. DLSS 3.7 is one such stealthy update, with early reports suggesting it could greatly improve upscaling quality thanks to a new preset.

Despite Nvidia DLSS only being on the scene for the past five years, it’s hard to imagine what the best graphics cards in the GeForce lineup would look like without it. After all, even the mighty RTX 4090 needs a hand with ray tracing at 4K in more demanding games.

As part of the latest version of its Streamline SDK, used by developers to more easily add upscalers like DLSS and FSR to their games, Nvidia has included updated versions of its Super Resolution and Frame Generation features. The most notable change, however, comes to the upscaler, which now rocks a new preset.

This preset refers to the render preset, or model, that developers can choose to use in their games, rather than the quality options we’re used to seeing in graphics menus. Dubbed ‘Eager Donkey’, this is now the default selection for titles using DLSS 3.7.0, and early testing indicates it could be a large improvement.

Reddit user Yakumo_unr claims that injecting the DLSS 3.7.0 dll files into Horizon: Forbidden West nets average frame rates that are “quite a bit higher”, running the game on a GeForce RTX 4090, with its highest settings, at 1440p.

Better still, other users highlight that DLSS 3.7.0 has “the best motion clarity so far” with less noticeable smearing and artefacts. This isn’t limited to Forbidden West either, with reports of improvements to Watch Dogs: Legion too.

However, results will naturally vary given the lack of official developer input, with Cyberpunk 2077 reportedly running worse and Portal RTX freezing altogether using DLSS 3.7.0 in place of their existing dll files.

It’s unclear how quickly we can expect to see DLSS 3.7.0 pop up in games, but you can download the latest versions of DLSS and Frame Generation over on Github, if you fancy slapping the new dlls into games for yourself for now.

If you’re in the market for a GPU upgrade, check out our GeForce RTX 4070 Super review to learn more about our preferred pixel pusher for mid-range systems.

Just an update on my connection. Every once in a while I have to turn off Wi-Fi on my phone then turn it back on after a minute or so. Then magically everything works great. But for instance, if I charge my phone and then use it later nothing will load until I do what I said above. My download speeds have been better too. 

3 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Any suggestions for a microphone with noise-canceling for laptop? I don't have much to spend on it, so hopefully something cheap will last awhile if possible. I like the headphones I have, but the mic is on the cord, and it hasn't been working.

I don't have a lot of experience with products in this category so unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions myself, but it might help to state your budget so that others might be about to better help you. :)

• True 1

10 hours ago, Nokra said:

I don't have a lot of experience with products in this category so unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions myself, but it might help to state your budget so that others might be about to better help you. :)

Probably under $20 if possible 

12 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Probably under $20 if possible 

A.CO

Amazon.com: Bietrun USB Microphone, Computer Condenser Gaming Mic for Desktop/Laptop/PS4/5, Headphone Jack, Volume Control, Plug & Play, for Podcast, Streaming, Studio Recording : Everything...

BTW, if you have a headset you use for your PS5 with a noise canceling mic, you could likely just use that on your laptop (unless you wanted to only have a mic and no attached headset)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

A.CO

Amazon.com: Bietrun USB Microphone, Computer Condenser Gaming Mic for Desktop/Laptop/PS4/5, Headphone Jack, Volume Control, Plug & Play, for Podcast, Streaming, Studio Recording : Everything...

BTW, if you have a headset you use for your PS5 with a noise canceling mic, you could likely just use that on your laptop (unless you wanted to only have a mic and no attached headset)

With the headset I use on my PS5 with mic, I can't get the mic to work. It has a mic in one of the cords, and when I tested it, nobody heard me. I mostly just used the headset to watch shows and play single-player games late at night without disturbing anybody in my apartment building.

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

With the headset I use on my PS5 with mic, I can't get the mic to work. It has a mic in one of the cords, and when I tested it, nobody heard me. I mostly just used the headset to watch shows and play single-player games late at night without disturbing anybody in my apartment building.

Given your Budget, I would just pick something on Amazon with a lot of high reviews. The difference between any choice is unlikely to mean much. 
You could just splurge and buy a Neumann M 149 tube. 

• Hugs 1

10 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I’d recommend trying it again and troubleshoot your mic settings in the windows sound manager (or whatever it’s called) before buying a new mic

• 2 weeks later...