PC Community Thread

stepee

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Oh no I mean if I went 64gb can’t I just use corsair ram for the next 32gb and sync that ram with icue?

The Corsair ram will be recognized by iCue, but the t force ram still won’t be. There’s a lot of debates about mixing and matching ram btw.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The Corsair ram will be recognized by iCue, but the t force ram still won’t be. There’s a lot of debates about mixing and matching ram btw.

Yeah I just wanted to see if it would still recognize the new ram and yeah if there is still some consensus that I shouldn’t do that or not. I’m planning on adding it to my bday wishlist so was thinking either doing corsair for icue or the same type for stability.

@stepee 4 sticks of RAM is not a good idea with Ryzen 7000, especially if they're not matched. They could have different latency and sub-timings and motherboards won't know what to do if you try to force  EXPO.  But more importantly the DDR5 memory controller will be under even more strain with 5 sticks, and you'll most likely have to run a significantly lower frequencies, maybe all the way down the 4800 MHz (or lower).

I definitely advise not pushing the AMD memory controller to its limits. I have a Ryzen 5900x and manually overclocked and tuned the timings for 3866 MHz. Everything passed stress tests and extensive MemTests 1.5 years ago, but the last few months I started having weird issues mostly with horrible stutters when gaming. After troubleshooting the video card, I ran another Memtest and was getting all kinds of errors. I backed the RAM speed down and Memtest was stable again, but I've probably borked portions of my Windows install and will have to reformat to truly fix it.  I haven't narrowed down the degradation being due to my CPU or isolated to just the RAM, but there are lots of reports of Ryzen chips not sustaining any kind of overclock.  So I would play it safe and not push your memory controller too much. AMD recommends 6000 Hz tops and that's with just two sticks of memory.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@stepee 4 sticks of RAM is not a good idea with Ryzen 7000, especially if they're not matched. They could have different latency and sub-timings and motherboards won't know what to do if you try to force  EXPO.  But more importantly the DDR5 memory controller will be under even more strain with 5 sticks, and you'll most likely have to run a significantly lower frequencies, maybe all the way down the 4800 MHz (or lower).

I definitely advise not pushing the AMD memory controller to its limits. I have a Ryzen 5900x and manually overclocked and tuned the timings for 3866 MHz. Everything passed stress tests and extensive MemTests 1.5 years ago, but the last few months I started having weird issues mostly with horrible stutters when gaming. After troubleshooting the video card, I ran another Memtest and was getting all kinds of errors. I backed the RAM speed down and Memtest was stable again, but I've probably borked portions of my Windows install and will have to reformat to truly fix it.  I haven't narrowed down the degradation being due to my CPU or isolated to just the RAM, but there are lots of reports of Ryzen chips not sustaining any kind of overclock.  So I would play it safe and not push your memory controller too much. AMD recommends 6000 Hz tops and that's with just two sticks of memory.

I think I’ll just stick with the 32gb then unless a need pops up for more (and at that time do 32gbx2…but i doubt I reach that point on this build), ty!

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think I’ll just stick with the 32gb then unless a need pops up for more (and at that time do 32gbx2…but i doubt I reach that point on this build), ty!

Buy 2x 64gb and get the DDR5 version of these when they release: https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-Enhancement-memory-included/dp/B07L2QSY96/ref=asc_df_B07L2QSY96/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=320048880417&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3353652444958469753&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007261&hvtargid=pla-611715907817&ref=&adgrpid=61389685902&th=1

:sickos:

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It's not heatsinks, it's blank modules.

Wait that’s even better, so I can just add them and fill those empty slots out with icue controlled lighting? I can’t justify replacing ddr5 6000 ram so this would be cool :P

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Wait that’s even better, so I can just add them and fill those empty slots out with icue controlled lighting? I can’t justify replacing ddr5 6000 ram so this would be cool :P

Correct, it fills empty RAM slots so you can have all of them filled. You'll still have the problem of having 2x controlled via iCue and 2x not. BTW, those are DDR4 DIMMs, Corsair hasn't released DDR5 ones yet.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Correct, it fills empty RAM slots so you can have all of them filled. You'll still have the problem of having 2x controlled via iCue and 2x not. BTW, those are DDR4 DIMMs, Corsair hasn't released DDR5 ones yet.

That would be neat just to have a little extra icue controlled lighting for $40 though, I’ll prob actually grab the ddr5 ones when they come out lol

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, you're not really all in until you buy this: https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfx-athn-10nnn-r1-tubing/p/37B-001M-00031

lol I saw those. I’m learning a lot about some of the other pc build stuff especially in regards to a liquid cooled build this time so my next pc is def gonna be legit! Gonna go all icue everything, get a tower, and fan guide it all over. 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol I saw those. I’m learning a lot about some of the other pc build stuff especially in regards to an air cooled build this time so my next pc is def gonna be legit! Gonna go all icue everything, get a tower, and fan guide it all over. 

Uhhhh so the 7800x3d release made me actually try putting the 7950x3d in “7800x3d mode” by disabling the other ccd and I’ve only tried two things so far so maybe they just need to update gamebar to optimize better but I got quite the boost. Calisto Protocol went from 86 to 97fps, which now coming from 59fps on my old cpu is an insane cpu jump from only three gen. 

Then I tried Last or Us which doesn’t have a bench but it was about a 10fps jump as well so closer to holding that 120fps now - @CastlevaniaNut18 it’ll probably run better on your new cpu than I even thought.

I did repeat turning ccd1 on and off to confirm it’s consistent and it is just a lot faster like this at least for these two games. I’m going to test some more but looks like it might be hard to justify leaving the other cores on. 

I wonder if they just need to tune the profiles better or if I have something off, my chipset, bios, and gamebar are all updated to latest as of last Friday. But also I noticed like this the ccd0 cores are mostly holding 5+ghz but the cores parked there mostly peak at 4.8ghz when I have both ccd active. So idk if that’s how it behaves regardless of profile it’s just always going to be faster this way by a decent bit unless a game actually really utilizes 10+ cores.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I went with this one over the 12 core because it seemed more optimal for gaming, least according to my husband. I don’t plan on doing much else with my PC aside from gaming. 

Yep he’s 100% right, it’s a gaming beast and by all accounts is as good as hoped!

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yep he’s 100% right, it’s a gaming beast and by all accounts is as good as hoped!

I can’t wait! Gotta order the rest of the build. Probably just gonna order what he did for the game room PC. 

I want a new case, too. I know what model I want, but trying to decide on whether to go all RGB bling. 

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I can’t wait! Gotta order the rest of the build. Probably just gonna order what he did for the game room PC. 

I want a new case, too. I know what model I want, but trying to decide on whether to go all RGB bling. 

I used to think I was too cool for rgb but decided to do it this once and honestly it’s   fun and I’m not trying to impress anyone. You can always just turn them off anyway but it’s nice to accentuate all these cool parts we invest into.

Edit: Also make extra sure to confirm the radiator you pick fits along with the gpu and case you plan to use as I failed to do that and ended up having to do things a little hacky!

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

I used to think I was too cool for rgb but decided to do it this once and honestly it’s   fun and I’m not trying to impress anyone. You can always just turn them off anyway but it’s nice to accentuate all these cool parts we invest into.

Yeah, I really like my keyboard and mouse being RBG. 

im looking at this Fractal Torrent for my new case. He bought the non-RGB model for the game room and I really like it. 

• Like 1

Man. All this PC talk wants me to buy one assap. I like the effects it brings and when efforts come to my mind and sports casters. There are flaws. But the game is extremely great overall. The difficulty is perfect with stunning environments.

Now I need to work on being sober when dealing with some scenarios hsppen. Terrific videogame. 

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Uhhhh so the 7800x3d release made me actually try putting the 7950x3d in “7800x3d mode” by disabling the other ccd and I’ve only tried two things so far so maybe they just need to update gamebar to optimize better but I got quite the boost. Calisto Protocol went from 86 to 97fps, which now coming from 59fps on my old cpu is an insane cpu jump from only three gen. 

Then I tried Last or Us which doesn’t have a bench but it was about a 10fps jump as well so closer to holding that 120fps now - @CastlevaniaNut18 it’ll probably run better on your new cpu than I even thought.

I did repeat turning ccd1 on and off to confirm it’s consistent and it is just a lot faster like this at least for these two games. I’m going to test some more but looks like it might be hard to justify leaving the other cores on. 

I wonder if they just need to tune the profiles better or if I have something off, my chipset, bios, and gamebar are all updated to latest as of last Friday. But also I noticed like this the ccd0 cores are mostly holding 5+ghz but the cores parked there mostly peak at 4.8ghz when I have both ccd active. So idk if that’s how it behaves regardless of profile it’s just always going to be faster this way by a decent bit unless a game actually really utilizes 10+ cores.

Go over this checklist to make sure all the software was installed properly:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/5.html

In the BIOS have you tried changing the preferred CCD to "cache" instead of outright disabling the non-cache one?  AMD recommends "auto", but setting it to "cache" should make it like a 7800x3D 90% of the time.

slide-8.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

What CPU is in your current system?