PC Community Thread

stepee

Ok I’m an idiot. I checked them and the front fans ARE sucking in with the top fans and back fan blowing out, so I just need to flip the bottom fan and it should be right.

Edit: Pretty sure I need to update bios/drivers etc too - but even as is I’m seeing a cpu boost I’m not used to seeing form two systems so close together. Though a lot of that is probably just the 4090 allowing me to see it better. But yeah about 20-30fps boosts in Last of Us and RE4 as well. From 10th gen to 13thgen (and equivalent) feels about the same as 4th gen all the way to 10th gen.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Ok I’m an idiot. I checked them and the front fans ARE sucking in with the top fans and back fan blowing out, so I just need to flip the bottom fan and it should be right.

Edit: Pretty sure I need to update bios/drivers etc too - but even as is I’m seeing a cpu boost I’m not used to seeing form two systems so close together. Though a lot of that is probably just the 4090 allowing me to see it better. But yeah about 20-30fps boosts in Last of Us and RE4 as well. From 10th gen to 13thgen (and equivalent) feels about the same as 4th gen all the way to 10th gen.

You need to check if you have the latest AMD chipset drivers as well as the latest version of the Xbox game bar installed for max performance. And most likely anytime a new game comes out you'll have to update the game bar.

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

You need to check if you have the latest AMD chipset drivers as well as the latest version of the Xbox game bar installed for max performance. And most likely anytime a new game comes out you'll have to update the game bar.

Oh is that how they are managing it so do I need Xbox gamebar always on too? I had that turned off always before. So for AMD chipset drivers is that just updating the adrenaline app? Or is there something else I do? Anything I need to do on that app? This is my first amd product since 2006.

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh is that how they are managing it so do I need Xbox gamebar always on too? I had that turned off always before. So for AMD chipset drivers is that just updating the adrenaline app? Or is there something else I do? Anything I need to do on that app? This is my first amd product since 2006.

The chipset driver is a separate install from the Andrenaline GPU drivers. And yes, as far as I understand you need to keep Xbox game bar on. AMDs software isn't detecting game .exe's, they are using Xbox for that.

Oh man I’m freaking out I’m so happy cuz after being so happy with it already I realized I never saw it go past 4.8ghz and that the bios on the motherboard was before support for this cpu was added.

Then I had trouble getting the bios to update and got concerned but it finally worked by formatting to ntfs instead of fat32 despite saying both should work.

So then all of the sudden I was seeing the up to 5.7ghz bursts. So it’s actually even a decent bit faster than I thought. Now I got 86fps average maxed out in Calisto Protocol (fsr2 performance to remove gpu bottleneck) - up from 59fps average max on my old build. That is one hell of a gain for a non gpu upgrade!

• Sicko 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Whatever it is I don’t want to bother with sata anymore so just remove all that and give me 8 nvme slots! I’m so happy I have four now though, should realistically last awhile since 4tb drives are getting affordable.

My current build is SATA free!  (I did have to run one SATA power cable to power my RGB controller [yes I know this isn't a "SATA" cable per se.])

I technically have 5 m.2 slots (2 CPU direct, 3 through the chipset).  Although one of them (that supports x4 5.0) will drop the GPU down from x16 to x8.  [Probably doesn't have any real-world performance, but seeing it in print makes me think it might.]

IMHO, 4TB drives still aren't at the level they should be.  The WD ones near me seem to have a ~20% premium over buying 2x2TB drives.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeethe ASUS Ally looks to possibly shit all over the steam deck. It’s price could be the decider.

Would be tempting if it was oled, but I don’t think it is or they would have mentioned it. It’s the most important thing to me for my next handheld right now because most of my handheld gaming has switched to streaming.

Downloaded a bunch more of my library and tested some more stuff out on the new cpu, definitely has made a huge difference across the board. Even Elden Ring with RT while it somehow seems to almost max out my 4090 at 4k with RT now it’s sooooo much smoother than on my old cpu even with a fresh shader cache. Made me more pumped for that dlc. I’ll have to turn off the 60fps lock later and see how high it can go without RT now.

Everything else is always about mostly 120 with drops sometimes either cpu or gpu related depending on the situation. With the most demanding games still in the 90-120 range. Calisto Protocol running some sections in the 70s is the lowest I’ve seen it go.

Just in general everything and that includes just installing and updating games is smoother now. Even the ridiculous GTA Remasters are mostly in the 100s now. Novigrad in the Witcher 3 with ray tracing is 120 now. Temps when working hard at 120 seem to stay in the low 70s still. Still room for improvement on the cpu end, but hopefully dlss3 widespread adoption should mostly cover that. Hopefully AMD gets their solution for FG out sooner than later so they won’t have to pay devs not to use it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Anyone want a code for Death Stranding Directors cut? It's one of the games on humble bundle this month I just subbed @Brick I see you have it on your steam wishlist, if you want it it's yours if not then it's up for grabs.

Oh wow thank you. Yeah I'm interested in seeing whether I'll like or hate the game since it's such a weird concept.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Oh wow thank you. Yeah I'm interested in seeing whether I'll like or hate the game since it's such a weird concept.

Dmed you, let me know if you have any issues redeeming it.  

if you like story focused games I think you'll love it, the DC adds a lot of QoL changes too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

OH MAN, STEPEE, YOU GOT TOATS SCREWED WITH THAT 7950X3D! THE 7800X3D IS A WHOLE 0.8% FASTER FOR 4K

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/21.html

Well tbf, I’m more concerned about the 1080p ones because that’s what shows what happens when you actually need the cpu since there isn’t a gpu bottlebeck - which is 6%. But I also already knew that would happen due to the tests of 7950x3D running off one ccd. 

But what it ignores is that while it may not be just a button, I can still rather easily just switch to pretty much exactly a 7800x3d anytime I want to if the need ever arises. In return I get a much better desktop processor, better multitasking while gaming ability, and future proofing for if developers start really using more than 8 cores.

Also it looks like even then numbers might be more heavily weighted because of the Spiderman numbers which seem to be an anomaly with how “poor” the 7950x3d relatively performs. Like it’s not using the right profile or something. If I needed to run that one at 300fps ever tho then yeah Ill just make that switch.

I’m going to mostly just leave it on default though just to keep it as best of both worlds since for the most part it will be yeah just that 0.8%. 

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

But what it ignores is that while it may not be just a button, I can still rather easily just switch to pretty much exactly a 7800x3d anytime I want to if the need ever arises.

When in god's name will you ever need/want a 6% boost that requires buying a new CPU. :p 

I disagree with your assessment of 1080p mattering; you're not playing games at 1080p, so who cares. I get that 720p and 1080p are showing the "real difference" as it lifts the restriction off the GPU and onto the CPU, but, they're meaningless if they aren't resolutions you're playing at or scaling from.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

When in god's name will you ever need/want a 6% boost that requires buying a new CPU. :p 

I disagree with your assessment of 1080p mattering; you're not playing games at 1080p, so who cares. I get that 720p and 1080p are showing the "real difference" as it lifts the restriction off the GPU and onto the CPU, but, they're meaningless if they aren't resolutions you're playing at or scaling from.

It’s because the suite of games they use for testing are a bad selection as they aren’t representative of the situations where you end up cpu capped which happens often enough to put together a better proper suite. But since they don’t, 1080p is closer to the story if you want to know which one and by how much will offer improvement in cpu bound scenarios on the high end.

I ran through a much better list of scenarios for benching at the high end when checking out my cpu improvements, they should have a section for something like that. Basic a bench of 10 cpu bound on a 4090 at 4k/120 games - Gotham, Calisto, Witcher 3 RT, GTA Definitive Trilogy, Hitman 3 with RT, Last of Us, RE4R, Forspoken, Hogwarts Legacy - a suite like that(with dlss set as needed to get 120 on gpu)  gets you a good idea if you have a 4090 and want to get a new cpu to be less bottlenecked in the instances where it does happen, which will accomplish that best.

Otherwise then like anything newish is fine since it’s all 120fps anyway. I think 1080p benches show you that better than the 4k ones with the games they choose.

And I didn’t mean I’d change to a 7800x3d lol then something would come along and use 12 cores or something and I’d have to switch back! I just mean I can adjust in bios so it’s using the one ccd like in the simulated tests and get that same improvement.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s because the suite of games they use for testing are a bad selection as they aren’t representative of the situations where you end up cpu capped which happens often enough to put together a better proper suite. But since they don’t, 1080p is closer to the story if you want to know which one and by how much will offer improvement in cpu bound scenarios on the high end.

I ran through a much better list of scenarios for benching at the high end when checking out my cpu improvements, they should have a section for something like that. Basic a bench of 10 cpu bound on a 4090 at 4k/120 games - Gotham, Calisto, Witcher 3 RT, GTA Definitive Trilogy, Hitman 3 with RT, Last of Us, RE4R, Forspoken, Hogwarts Legacy - a suite like that(with dlss set as needed to get 120 on gpu)  gets you a good idea if you have a 4090 and want to get a new cpu to be less bottlenecked in the instances where it does happen, which will accomplish that best.

With DLSS at quality, 1440p would theoretically be closer to the story, not 1080p. Did you actually run and log benches for these games at 4k before and after your CPU upgrade to prove this theory?

1080p is showing the max/true difference that the CPUs are capable of between each other, sure. However, at 4k, that's not relevant to me; if you're gaming at 4k, you want to see the difference made at 4k. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Otherwise then like anything newish is fine since it’s all 120fps anyway. I think 1080p benches show you that better than the 4k ones with the games they choose.

And I didn’t mean I’d change to a 7800x3d lol then something would come along and use 12 cores or something and I’d have to switch back! I just mean I can adjust in bios so it’s using the one ccd like in the simulated tests and get that same improvement.

One caveat about benching games with DLSS or any other upscaler is that you might as well just test the game at a lower resolution, since for example if you're at 1440p and test with DLSS balanced you will be getting basically the same framerate as if you were testing at 1080p native, since DLSS balanced is using 1080p render scale and then upscaling from that.

I probably should have logged all my actual testing but that’s a lot of work :P

But yeah I realize it’s the same with dlss what I’m trying to get at here is basically ok here are the games where at maxed settings on a a 4090 and at this dlss setting where it hits 120 or close on the gpu end, so I’m maxing out the game the best I can as long as there is no cpu bottleneck. So now with my game set like this, what cpu is going to allow me to hit that 120 or get the closest to it in the games where my current cpu cannot hit 120fps. 

Most games I simply won’t notice it because most games are going to just run at 120fps if you take an average. What i’m looking for are the specific examples that do not and may be indicative of what will be needed as these are all recent releases I would use as my examples here.

And these benches don’t do that for me, but 1080p by showing the maximum power difference, I can theoretical assume that in those choking points one cpu may give me this % more of an improvement than the other.

Edit: And dlss performance being the same as 1080p is kind of my point as that is my actual resolution usage minimum, not native 4k.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I probably should have logged all my actual testing but that’s a lot of work :P

But yeah I realize it’s the same with dlss what I’m trying to get at here is basically ok here are the games where at maxed settings on a a 4090 and at this dlss setting where it hits 120 or close on the gpu end, so I’m maxing out the game the best I can as long as there is no cpu bottleneck. So now with my game set like this, what cpu is going to allow me to hit that 120 or get the closest to it in the games where my current cpu cannot hit 120fps. 

Most games I simply won’t notice it because most games are going to just run at 120fps if you take an average. What i’m looking for are the specific examples that do not and may be indicative of what will be needed as these are all recent releases I would use as my examples here.

And these benches don’t do that for me, but 1080p by showing the maximum power difference, I can theoretical assume that in those choking points one cpu may give me this % more of an improvement than the other.

Edit: And dlss performance being the same as 1080p is kind of my point as that is my actual resolution usage minimum, not native 4k.

My initial 7800x3D post was sarcastic and making fun of the people who for the past month were screaming "THE 7950X3D IS STUPID AND THE 7800X3D WILL TROUNCE IT". :p 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My initial 7800x3D post was sarcastic and making fun of the people who for the past month were screaming "THE 7950X3D IS STUPID AND THE 7800X3D WILL TROUNCE IT". :p 

Oh yeah for sure! And my answer to that was always I can make mine a 7800x3d if I want but you can’t make a 7800x3d a 7950x3d! When I’m installing and updating and downloading and and looking stuff up and I see the cores hitting 5.7 for a bit it’s just cool to see. :p

The reality is any of the 7000x3d or a 13900k and you are golden right now, nothing is going to dip below 60fps ever…until the 11th :D

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

Do you need it to be corsair rgb ram if you want to sync it with icue?

AFAIK, yes. Other items like lian li rgb cables, non-corsair fans, rgb GPU supports, etc, can sync with iCue if you use an (unofficial) adapter cable to connect them to a Corsair rgb hub. With RAM, though, there’s no cable.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

AFAIK, yes. Other items like lian li rgb cables, non-corsair fans, rgb GPU supports, etc, can sync with iCue if you use an (unofficial) adapter cable to connect them to a Corsair rgb hub. With RAM, though, there’s no hub.

I currently have 32gb 6000mhz team group - if I get another 32gb 6000mhz corsair can I still sync up the new additional ram?

Just now, Spork3245 said:

You’re going to switch out the tforce ram for Corsair? Yea, if you switch to corsair ram it’ll be recognized by iCue.

Oh no I mean if I went 64gb can’t I just use corsair ram for the next 32gb and sync that ram with icue?