PC Community Thread

stepee

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

So there is a clear difference between 90 and 120?

It’s definitely noticeable but it’s not like going from 30 to 60 which is the big one. After that it’s diminishing returns but I’m guessing fps improvements are probably noticeable until like 240fps or so. The higher the fps the more so that I notice it the most in the temporal resolution improvement during camera pans than the smoothness itself.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s definitely noticeable but it’s not like going from 30 to 60 which is the big one. After that it’s diminishing returns but I’m guessing fps improvements are probably noticeable until like 240fps or so. The higher the fps the more so that I notice it the most in the temporal resolution improvement during camera pans than the smoothness itself.

Here you guys go about high frame rates in the 100s or higher, and here I am being blown away how smooth 40fps is compared to 30fps when 60fps isn't always achievable.

56 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Here you guys go about high frame rates in the 100s or higher, and here I am being blown away how smooth 40fps is compared to 30fps when 60fps isn't always achievable.

Tbf 30 to 40 is huge and being able to lock to that on 120hz is one of the cooler new developments. Heck, I’ll probably be doing just that for that path traced Cyberpunk!

That 30 to 40 jump feels probably about as big of a difference as 60 all the way to 120.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Tbf 30 to 40 is huge and being able to lock to that on 120hz is one of the cooler new developments. Heck, I’ll probably be doing just that for that path traced Cyberpunk!

That 30 to 40 jump feels probably about as big of a difference as 60 all the way to 120.

Going from 30 to 40 reduces the gap between frames by 8ms, going from 60 to 120 is about the same.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Going from 30 to 40 reduces the gap between frames by 8ms, going from 60 to 120 is about the same.

Makes sense!

In other news guess who just got his 7950x3d ddr5 6000 build shipped yeahhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

One thing I’m surprised that doesn’t exist yet to my knowledge that I would love is actually just an oled display with a wi-fi/blu tooth gamepad attached. Essentially a handheld with no cpu or anything, just a dumb screen for you to plug a device into with usb c or mini display port. I’m not sure if it would work with being powered from the device or not so maybe make it battery powered too, but I’m not sure if that’s needed off the top of my head. But the general concept is totally doable.

That would be great to like say have a laptop on an airplane tucked away while you play the game on the handheld to take up less space or just playing in bed in general or for playing really any device easily while you or someone else watches tv. 

I would like to just have a straight connection from my living room pc to a dock in my room that would then connect to this device and just play all the same games as in my living room on a handheld in my bedroom without any compromise. 

Like cmon someone do that and even charge me like $500 for an 8” 120hz 1080p hdr oled attached to a wifi gamepad so it can connect anywhere on the network back to the device.

21 hours ago, Brian said:

Saw that earlier today. I'm honestly still quite excited for the Framework 16, and given I've been using a Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro since about 2016, I think I'm getting ready for an upgrade. Yes, that would mean doing away with MacOS, but I'd be fine with that overall. I've also considered going the Linux route, or at least giving it a go, so we'll see. I overall like MacOS, and it's ease of convenience, plus everything syncing between devices, but I've about had it with Apple in recent years because of their anti-consumer, and anti-right-to-repair mentality because apparently Apple knows their customers better than the customers know themselves.

My guess is by next month, or so when Pre-Orders come up, we'll know all the nitty gritty details of specs, and such. Given the 13.5" display has a 2256x1504 resolution, for a 16" screen, we're looking at something like an 1800p display at the same PPI, which would be pretty good. 4K would be overkill IMO.

Also curious on the kind of dGPU they'll use, but probably nVidia since they have mobile chips ready to go, and they might be able to source some 30-series cards on a value deal (say a 3070, and 3080 mobile GPUs).

I'll be keeping my eyes on the Framework 16 as we get closer to launch.

One of my gen3 3500mb/s is going with my old pc to my Dad and just ordered this to replace it: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/crucial-p3-plus-4tb-internal-ssd-pcie-gen-4-x4-nvme/6509710.p?skuId=6509710

Not full gen4 speed at 4800mb/s but still better than my old ones and that price for 4tb is just way too good.

For my bday in a couple weeks I might then get just a 2tb 7500/mb/s pcie4 and that should be good for now.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

One of my gen3 3500mb/s is going with my old pc to my Dad and just ordered this to replace it: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/crucial-p3-plus-4tb-internal-ssd-pcie-gen-4-x4-nvme/6509710.p?skuId=6509710

Not full gen4 speed at 4800mb/s but still better than my old ones and that price for 4tb is just way too good.

For my bday in a couple weeks I might then get just a 2tb 7500/mb/s pcie4 and that should be good for now.

Heck of a deal -- they must be blowing those out (they're even cheaper on Amazon in Canada).

The WD SN850X seems to be a pretty good value for a PCIe4 drive ATM.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Heck of a deal -- they must be blowing those out (they're even cheaper on Amazon in Canada).

The WD SN850X seems to be a pretty good value for a PCIe4 drive ATM.

Yea, gen5 drives trickling in seems to be massively pushing down the prices of previous gen m.2s.

• Like 1

Yeah I fucked up bad and doubt I get this running today. There is no room for my 4090 here. I foolishly thought they would warn me since I told them I would be putting a 4090 in.   Not sure what to do yet honestly. It doesn’t fit length wise with all the extra fans which maybe we could take out but it looks like whatever is powering the liquid cooling is also on that right side so idk what to do sighhhh.

• Sad 2

Ok so it turns out the issue is the 360mm icue doesn’t fit on the top of the 4000D Airflow case, only the 240mm does. But with this on the front where it does fit, the 4090 doesn’t have enough clearance. 

I feel like they should have noticed the dimensions and said something since I told them I would be using a 4090 and I would think they would be able to see that wouldn’t work But, I could have simply done better research and caught that so my bad too.

That said, we just hacked that shit together and top mounted it anyway and it’s all working lol. We had to remove one of the front fans, and now we have that on the bottom under the gpu blowing out because it was easiest that way. And the icue is a little tilted down but it all fits closed in and it’s all working!

Only tried Hogwarts so far but it was a substantial boost. In Hogsmeade I was getting straight 120fps besides some traversal stutter drops that were only 1-2fps dips.

This area was in the 70s for me before (this is all with frame generation on) and the temps here were in the 40s which seems insane to me after my last build being in the 90s in the same area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I assume that when it was on the front, the AIO fans were used as an intake, and you flipped them to exhaust when you top mounted it?

They were already flipped as exhaust I believe but are exhaust now - and so are the two front two (it was set on the front with three fans in front of the aio and two fans behind it) - you mean pushing air out right? I think only one fan blows in atm on the back.

I tested Calisto Protocol on the new build maxed with RT and it no longer dips below 60! The average on the bench went from 59 to 79fps but that doesn’t tell the whole story even as the issue is that bench is super short and the scenes that are in the 40’s with dips to the 30’s on my old pc are entire levels, or about how half the game runs. Those sections now are mostly in the 70s and never dip below 60fps meaning even that game runs perfectly fine now!

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

That is correct right, on the top it should be blowing out?

Yup.  You don't want to fight convection.

9I3hj5D.jpg

So, on my rig I have the 2 140s on the back as intake fans (with another 120 on the bottom of the case), and the rear fan and the 3 top fans on the AIO as exhaust fans.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

They were already flipped as exhaust I believe but are exhaust now - and so are the two front two (it was set on the front with three fans in front of the aio and two fans behind it) - you mean pushing air out right? I think only one fan blows in atm on the back.

Wait… you have your front fans blowing air out? They should be pulling air in. Your top fans should be exhaust, and your rear fan should also be exhaust (to help pull the fresh air from the front through the case). Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post.

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Wait… you have your front fans blowing air out? They should be pulling air in. Your top fans should be exhaust, and your rear fan should also be exhaust (to help pull the fresh air from the front through the case). Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post.

No that’s what I said! I’ll have to double check but I believe they are all blowing out actually. I can have the front ones flipped!