PC Community Thread

stepee

Look sometimes I just want to talk about pc shit but it’s not quite worth a new thread or bumping an old one, so Ima do it here.

Anyway, 7000x3d series release dates and prices are here.

April 6th for the 7800x3d ($450 tho!) :(

Feb 28th for the 7900 $600 and 7950 $700 though, I might just say fuck it and get the 7950 if the reviews are a decent uptick from 13900k gaming and if it looks like the ccd thing doesn’t matter much.

Edit; I guess I could post this on the pc community board but I think we should just get rid of that 

• Halal 2

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Don't think it be worth it from a 7950x so I'm gonna wait to see what Zen 5 3d offers.

For me it’ll be going from 10850k and ddr4 and trying to do ray tracing at high fps so I’m chomping at the bit!

I kinda don’t even want to bother having my dad help with the pc build though (i have bad coordination with my hands so things like mounting a cpu fan are a pass for me) and I like my current case and stuff so I wonder if I can just get a motherboard, cpu, cpu fan (i can do ram myself obv) and give it to best buy and have them get it going for a couple hundred.

On the other hand then I have a cpu, ram, and motherboard that could still be very very good for someone else, which is kinda of a waste. If I do a whole new build then I could give my current to my Dad minus the nvme’s but that honestly would probably cost like 1k more so idk how I want to do it yet.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Does the PCCB mean nothing to you? :p

Kinda :P

Its just I jump around boards based on the main subject (politics, entertainment, random chatter, gaming) and I’m too lazy to bother ever clicking on a second gaming section when the one here is just fine.

I think at least half of us are pc gamers so we don’t really need a niche section like retro.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I put an AIO in my current build, and I found it significantly easier to install to the MB than the large CPU fan I put in my last build (6 years ago).

A new AIO is also similar in price to buying a Huge CPU Fan+RGB controller+3 RGB case fans. 

That is one thing I’d like to do for the first time as well. I’ve been very unhappy with the temps while using my usual Noctua (though further looking into what exactly my 10850k is, which is essentially a 10900k with issues, further explains this) so that’s been pushing me towards the change. 

Just out of curiosity which did you get?

Just now, stepee said:

That is one thing I’d like to do for the first time as well. I’ve been very unhappy with the temps while using my usual Noctua (though further looking into what exactly my 10850k is, which is essentially a 10900k with issues, further explains this) so that’s been pushing me towards the change. 

Just out of curiosity which did you get?

The Corsair H150i Elite Cappellix (the 360)-- partially because it was available to buy locally, and partially because they had a factory refurb for less than half the price of a new one.

The rads and pumps are pretty standard, so the difference between brands comes down to aesthetic choices (both looks, and RGB controls).

Having the thermal paste pre-applied, makes the install really easy relative to a huge fan (where you need to apply the paste, and then try and squeeze around the fins to tighten it down).

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Kinda :P

Its just I jump around boards based on the main subject (politics, entertainment, random chatter, gaming) and I’m too lazy to bother ever clicking on a second gaming section when the one here is just fine.

I think at least half of us are pc gamers so we don’t really need a niche section like retro.

This thread is a bit mislabled anyway as this would be a "PC General" thread not a PC Community thread, Community implies off topic stuff (although the PCCB isn't actually off topic PC community stuff so it's all messed up :p ).

• Sicko 1

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

For me it’ll be going from 10850k and ddr4 and trying to do ray tracing at high fps so I’m chomping at the bit!

I kinda don’t even want to bother having my dad help with the pc build though (i have bad coordination with my hands so things like mounting a cpu fan are a pass for me) and I like my current case and stuff so I wonder if I can just get a motherboard, cpu, cpu fan (i can do ram myself obv) and give it to best buy and have them get it going for a couple hundred.

On the other hand then I have a cpu, ram, and motherboard that could still be very very good for someone else, which is kinda of a waste. If I do a whole new build then I could give my current to my Dad minus the nvme’s but that honestly would probably cost like 1k more so idk how I want to do it yet.

Is your current 10850K that much behind in terms of being able to run games you need to upgrade your CPU/RAM/Mobo? Given it's 10 Cores/20Threads, I'd imagine that would be sufficient for most games for at least the next 3-5 years. 

What GPU are you running currently? 

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This thread is a bit mislabled anyway as this would be a "PC General" thread not a PC Community thread, Community implies off topic stuff (although the PCCB isn't actually off topic PC community stuff so it's all messed up :p ).

Leave him alone, damnit!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Is your current 10850K that much behind in terms of being able to run games you need to upgrade your CPU/RAM/Mobo? Given it's 10 Cores/20Threads, I'd imagine that would be sufficient for most games for at least the next 3-5 years. 

@stepee is never satisfied with "sufficient".

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

Yep! It’s because of a few things - 

1) The core count doesn’t help much with a lot of games  (a lot of times I’ll be cpu bound but it’s using about 20% of my cpu) because of programming to single threads - a 10850k is good enough if optimized on the cpu but it can’t brute force past when single thread bound

2) Ray-tracing as it turns out also hits the cpu hard, and that’s when I run into problems. It also really likes fast ddr5 ram. When this is combined with the issue above, that means frames can really suffer and even dip below 60fps on the cpu end

3) We are entering the current gen with earnest now and the cpu target is up, so when combined with issue #1 again, you cannot brute force past as easily as a single core on the current gen consoles are a lot closer to a single core on a desktop cpu.

4) And to answer your question, a 4090, so while the above is currently more the exception than a rule as an actual problem, my target is now 120fps typically and on some less demanding games it’s still more low 100s when I would easily be 120fps locked on something more recent. The 4090 is such an insane gpu it created a cpu bottleneck by ushering in 4k/120 essentially.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Look sometimes I just want to talk about pc shit but it’s not quite worth a new thread or bumping an old one, so Ima do it here.

Anyway, 7000x3d series release dates and prices are here.

April 6th for the 7800x3d ($450 tho!) :(

Feb 28th for the 7900 $600 and 7950 $700 though, I might just say fuck it and get the 7950 if the reviews are a decent uptick from 13900k gaming and if it looks like the ccd thing doesn’t matter much.

Edit; I guess I could post this on the pc community board but I think we should just get rid of that 

Microcenter had a crazy deal on the 7900x (non-3D obviously), it was hard not to bite: 7900x +  Gigabyte Mobo + 32gb 6000mhz DDR5 for $599

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Microcenter had a crazy deal on the 7900x (non-3D obviously), it was hard not to bite: 7900x +  Gigabyte Mobo + 32gb 6000mhz DDR5 for $599

holy shit I’m pretty set on x3d but damn that is good

Also i talked about the computer thing with my Dad and he got excited for my current pc so I’m just going to do a full new build besides i’m taking my nvmes for now tho they are gen 3

One thing I’ve been really happy about is how seamless save syncing has been between deck and my pc. I haven’t had any issues except sometimes I need to make it sync when I have a game paused on resume. 

This has really been the dream for me, the same game on my handheld and tv seamlessly switching between the two on the same save. I know thats the entire focus of the switch, but I wasn’t ever going to play games looking like that on my tv. 

Now I get the best of both worlds and it’s definitely the best thing to happen for me in gaming in a long time. The best is when it’s cross save with Xbox too and I get the trifecta. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

One thing I’ve been really happy about is how seamless save syncing has been between deck and my pc. I haven’t had any issues except sometimes I need to make it sync when I have a game paused on resume. 

This has really been the dream for me, the same game on my handheld and tv seamlessly switching between the two on the same save. I know thats the entire focus of the switch, but I wasn’t ever going to play games looking like that on my tv. 

Now I get the best of both worlds and it’s definitely the best thing to happen for me in gaming in a long time. The best is when it’s cross save with Xbox too and I get the trifecta. 

I've been thoroughly enjoying my Deck as well. The overall feel of it, the responsiveness of the controls, and of course the performance is really good for its size. It's about what I think a Switch 2 will be capable of if and when that launches, but in a similar form factor to OG Switch. 

Been playing Hollow Knight, which is my first go at it, and in a rather masochistic way, have been enjoying it very much. Haven't played a proper Metroidvania game in awhile. 

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

The only problem I had was with GTAV -- because the save is with Rockstar.  It seems to only sync when you boot up the game, not when you exit.

Otherwise, the Steam Deck has been a god send for me when I am on the road.

10 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

I've been thoroughly enjoying my Deck as well. The overall feel of it, the responsiveness of the controls, and of course the performance is really good for its size. It's about what I think a Switch 2 will be capable of if and when that launches, but in a similar form factor to OG Switch. 

Been playing Hollow Knight, which is my first go at it, and in a rather masochistic way, have been enjoying it very much. Haven't played a proper Metroidvania game in awhile. 

I used to think that switch 2 would be more powerful than the deck, until I got it. After playing games like Valhalla and Uncharted 4, and Spider-man on it, it’s hard to picture that Nintendo has something beyond that in store.

Now I kind of think it’ll be about on the same level with dlss being the wild card (do they use it to get to that level? or do they release something with the raw power of steam deck and then add dlss3 to make things kinda wild?)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

I used to think that switch 2 would be more powerful than the deck, until I got it. After playing games like Valhalla and Uncharted 4, and Spider-man on it, it’s hard to picture that Nintendo has something beyond that in store.

Remember, Nintendo sources their gpu from nVidia now, and a Switch 2 will probably have an updated Tegra with DLSS support (probably not DLSS3 :p )

EDIT: the new tegra is supposedly going to deliver 4 Tflops, Steam Deck is 1.6. :o 

975649944_Control2022-12-1104_07_28.thum
COMMUNITY.PCGAMINGWIKI.COM

This patch adds native HDR to Control. It was achieved by rebuilding the game with modified code and shaders. This is built on top of my previous Ultrawide fix patch. Compared to the latest official release...

Native hdr added to Control. Note that this is not auto hdr or special k injection but adding actual hdr to the code. It was done by a remedy employee who wanted to do it in his spare time because for some reason or the other Remedy doesn’t want to release it officially at this point.