PC Community Thread

stepee

11 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

BS how come every game doesn't have that issue. 

Well that statement is by someone from ND who just released a similarly troubled (though not quite as bad) pc port that took a few weeks to clean up soooooooo

Gigabyte board just setting the SoC voltage to whatever the hell it wants if you try to do any memory tweaking.  At least it actually loads the proper default settings when you reset CMOS, unlike the broken Asus boards. But overall it seems AM5 is just buggy.  Anyone with AM5 should double check their voltages with the free app HWINFO.

5 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Gigabyte board just setting the SoC voltage to whatever the hell it wants if you try to do any memory tweaking.  At least it actually loads the proper default settings when you reset CMOS, unlike the broken Asus boards. But overall it seems AM5 is just buggy.  Anyone with AM5 should double check their voltages with the free app HWINFO.

Supposedly the newest ASUS bios fixed it, but I have no way of confirming and will 100000% be skipping the 7000 CPU series despite being tempted to yolo a cpu/mobo/ddr5 purchase at least once/week. If I go AMD for my next cpu, it’s going to be the 9000 series (assuming that 8000 will be laptop like the 6000)

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
NVIDIA-Neural-Compression-Technique-scal
WCCFTECH.COM

NVIDIA will present several research papers at SIGGRAPH 2023, such as this neural compression technique that unlocks 16x texture detail.

Very cool! This should help with not just image quality but storage size and even streaming ability as well!

• True 1

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
NVIDIA-Neural-Compression-Technique-scal
WCCFTECH.COM

NVIDIA will present several research papers at SIGGRAPH 2023, such as this neural compression technique that unlocks 16x texture detail.

The ms take over double the time to render meaning if you can have 1000 textures now you can only have ~450. 

It would probably be a trade off using it for close up materials and dropping the render method for vistas and mid ground elements. That what you'd end up with about 750-800 of the 1000. 

For comparison, for current gen consoles an env budget is roughly 13ms, if one texture takes 1.12ms to render that's pretty damn expensive. But perhaps the info on the screenshot isn't sufficient. 

Edit: skimmed the article, everything I say above confirmed - people will just use this for a few select surfaces

Where I would love to see improvements is texture layering with a color mask at runtime. All this other stuff is sorta bs. 

Prices for DDR5 have come down AGAIN!  Purchased another 32GB to bring my total to 64GB.  Purchased a 2TB WD SN770X to act as my storage drive.

I need to stop buying computer components.

What’s annoying me is ram is dirt cheap to buy again but they are still massively overpricing laptops with 32gb of ram. I want new employees to get laptops with 32gb of ram so they last longer and because people are horrible at tab management and run through 16gb easily but it always prices it up so much and there just aren’t a lot of them still.

PC component sales (and computers) are down about 30% this year, so the premium prices from the pandemic will begin to go away.

My work laptop usage is pretty minor compared to the engineers at my company, who are running CAD.  I am fine with 16GB for now.

It’s sort of like how we buy high end gaming pcs to compensate for poorly optimized games, I like 32gb laptops in 2023 to compensate for poorly optimized people!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s just I bet Nintendo is going to force me to buy a handheld without oled next year already and I really don’t want to buy more handhelds without oled :(

Most of my handheld use is through moonlight streaming now which the 1080p/120hz would be nice for, but someone has to be coming out with a device that has a 7” oled 1080 120hz screen soon right?????!

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, it's called an iPhone, bro.

It’s not 7” and the aspect ratio isn’t great also moonlight doesn’t seem to work nearly as well at least on my iphone 12. I tried it after I realized most of my use is moonlight now but it wasn't great comparatively. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It’s not 7” and the aspect ratio isn’t great also moonlight doesn’t seem to work nearly as well at least on my iphone 12. I tried it after I realized most of my use is moonlight now but it wasn't great comparatively. 

You're arguing 6.7" isn't 7"?  Technically you're right.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're arguing 6.7" isn't 7"?  Technically you're right.

Well yeah on small sizes a little makes a big difference and I’m just used to 7” now from both switch oled and steam deck. Also I think it’s just the aspect ratio too, the screen just seems a lot smaller than the deck, I think because there’s a lot of lost vertical space.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Man seeing how well TOTK runs on yuzu now I almost want to ebay a switch I can hack and  download my entire switch library and saved files, that would be amazing.

I have a launch Switch, it’s running the latest OS so I don’t know if it can be hacked, but I’m willing to trade or something because I’m too lazy to hack it :p 

The burning/bubbling/exploding AM5 issue is fixed across all platforms to my knowledge via newest BIOS. ASUS decided to be scummy AF and release it as a "beta BIOS" first and if you installed this "beta" they claim you voided your warranty. Get fucked ASUS. MSI has a corsair RGB pin on most of their mobos now - it's not as simple as ASUS as it takes up one of the spots on a lighting node, but F, I don't know if I'll go with ASUS again tbh.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The burning/bubbling/exploding AM5 issue is fixed across all platforms to my knowledge via newest BIOS. ASUS decided to be scummy AF and release it as a "beta BIOS" first and if you installed this "beta" they claim you voided your warranty. Get fucked ASUS. MSI has a corsair RGB pin on most of their mobos now - it's not as simple as ASUS as it takes up one of the spots on a lighting node, but F, I don't know if I'll go with ASUS again tbh.

BTW, I think the worst part is them not taking any responsibility and trying to blame customers for using expo... like... what?

Asus most definitely spends their money sending free products to tech reviewers and influencers instead of hiring some competent software engineers. Almost every YouTube build video I come across uses an Asus board because it was given to them.

Their mobo\RGB software Armory Crate is the worst thing I've ever installed and it never got better with any updates; and it is definitely the reason I will not buy an Asus board in the future.