PC Community Thread

stepee

58 minutes ago, stepee said:

Some recent games are starting to push back against the idea that 10gb is enough (dead space is a recent one and forspoken) but RE8 incorrectly showed vram usage in game higher than was actually being used and wouldn’t be surprised if RE4 is doing the same. 

You could also just drop the textures down one setting. I think the bigger issue is them not properly compressing textures though.

58 minutes ago, stepee said:

4070ti with 10gb isn’t great but I don’t think that card is aiming to be a 4k native card either so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. They should increase vram next gen tho.

4070 Ti has 12gb.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Where are people seeing the VRAM requirements for RE4 remake/RE8?

It tells you projected vram usage in the graphical options menu as you change settings.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

You could also just drop the textures down one setting. I think the bigger issue is them not properly compressing textures though.

4070 Ti has 12gb.

It tells you projected vram usage in the graphical options menu as you change settings.

Oh 12gb is actually fine for this series I think then, the complaint made it sounds like 10gb

And yeah or turn down textures, but nobody wants to turn down a pc graphics setting!

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The “complaint” (I call it madness :p ) isn’t about the 4070 Ti, it’s “any card less than 12–16gb is now trash!”. The 4070 Ti is suddenly now “the value performance card!” 

This sounds more like people with 12gb+ trying to brag :P

I noticed on cyberpowerpc if I look at builds with the 7950x3d it says expected ship date 3/22 - I think I heard someone else say they heard of shipments coming that same date, I’m hoping that’s when they get their refill and my build can be here by April!

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Retail price in the US is $699 -- isn't that what Microcenter sells it for?

No Microcenter in the SFBA unfortunately and no shipping on that :( There was a killer deal with a motherboard and ram I could have gotten if one was nearby.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

No Microcenter in the SFBA unfortunately and no shipping on that :( There was a killer deal with a motherboard and ram I could have gotten if one was nearby.

I bought a bunch of stuff from them when I was in Michigan.  [Back in Canada, we have two big chains that sell computer parts -- Memory Express and Canada Computers that are very similar.]  CC normally doesn't offer to take backorders, but they are on this part for some reason.  No big retail computer parts stores in Cali?

46 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I bought a bunch of stuff from them when I was in Michigan.  [Back in Canada, we have two big chains that sell computer parts -- Memory Express and Canada Computers that are very similar.]  CC normally doesn't offer to take backorders, but they are on this part for some reason.  No big retail computer parts stores in Cali?

Not really! Weird huh? We had Fry’s here which I lived a 10min walk from and it was great, really huge pc parts warehouse size store, but they all closed down like 3 years ago. :/

There’s probably some specialty shops here and there but not any local ones I’m familiar with and for major retailers it’s pretty much just Best Buy now.

15 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

gzgaqcy.png

I know that is Canadian pricing, but even at US prices of 700 dollars according to Newegg, that's a shit load of money for a consumer-based CPU. Yes, it's the king of Gaming CPUs, but still believe that's too much. Personally, the 7800X3D looks to be a better value based on early reviews, though I still think spending even 500 or so dollars on a CPU is expensive. 

I'm a cheap skate though. 250 is about my limit for what I'd pay for a CPU. 

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

I know that is Canadian pricing, but even at US prices of 700 dollars according to Newegg, that's a shit load of money for a consumer-based CPU. Yes, it's the king of Gaming CPUs, but still believe that's too much. Personally, the 7800X3D looks to be a better value based on early reviews, though I still think spending even 500 or so dollars on a CPU is expensive. 

I'm a cheap skate though. 250 is about my limit for what I'd pay for a CPU. 

I didn't get one of those, I bought a i7-13700kf for C$520 or ~US$385.  I don't feel I need a faster/more powerful CPU than that, but understand why others might.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I didn't get one of those, I bought a i7-13700kf for C$520 or ~US$385.  I don't feel I need a faster/more powerful CPU than that, but understand why others might.

Yeah. I want to say you only really need that kind of power if you're going for really high frame rates, like beyond 240hz, while still going at 1440p, and have a 4090 to match it for maximum fidelity. To each their own though. 

I realized I have a sort of calculus for determining how much to spend for a CPU and GPU. If say I spend 500 dollars for a GPU (which I did for my 3060 for better or worse), then I'll only spend a max of half that for a CPU. But I only spent 170 for my 11400F at the time, so got a pretty good deal I thought. Could've gone for a 11600K perhaps, but didn't feel a need, plus I liked it was only a 65W CPU, and I couldn't care less about overclocking. 

I'm on a dead-end system in I can only go up to 11th gen, but if say I find a 11700KF for cheap, I might upgrade from that down the road. 

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

Yeah. I want to say you only really need that kind of power if you're going for really high frame rates, like beyond 240hz, while still going at 1440p, and have a 4090 to match it for maximum fidelity. To each their own though. 

I realized I have a sort of calculus for determining how much to spend for a CPU and GPU. If say I spend 500 dollars for a GPU (which I did for my 3060 for better or worse), then I'll only spend a max of half that for a CPU. But I only spent 170 for my 11400F at the time, so got a pretty good deal I thought. Could've gone for a 11600K perhaps, but didn't feel a need, plus I liked it was only a 65W CPU, and I couldn't care less about overclocking. 

I'm on a dead-end system in I can only go up to 11th gen, but if say I find a 11700KF for cheap, I might upgrade from that down the road. 

I understand the value of high frame-rate gaming in certain situations -- I could see the difference in my lap-times in Forza when playing at 60 fps on console vs. 90-100 on the computer.  But, personally, for most games, I don't consciously perceive a huge difference above 60 fps.  So, I won't pay a huge premium for a super-fast CPU.

I actually went more extreme than what you are suggesting, I spent about triple on my GPU (4080) vs. my CPU (i7-13700KF).

While I would like to think I will upgrade my current rig, more realistically I will pass it down as the next "kid's computer" in my house in a couple of years and build something new.  (Not that it isn't used extensively by the kids, but my son now calls my old rig "his computer".)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I understand the value of high frame-rate gaming in certain situations -- I could see the difference in my lap-times in Forza when playing at 60 fps on console vs. 90-100 on the computer.  But, personally, for most games, I don't consciously perceive a huge difference above 60 fps.  So, I won't pay a huge premium for a super-fast CPU.

I actually went more extreme than what you are suggesting, I spent about triple on my GPU (4080) vs. my CPU (i7-13700KF).

While I would like to think I will upgrade my current rig, more realistically I will pass it down as the next "kid's computer" in my house in a couple of years and build something new.  (Not that it isn't used extensively by the kids, but my son now calls my old rig "his computer".)

Personally, I think that rig you got should last you at least 3 years before you should consider upgrading, but I'm also about maximizing my dollar for what I have. My previous rig built in 2014 had an FX 8320 + a GTX 770, and took me 8 years before I did more or less a full upgrade (minus case, PSU, and storage). 

That said, handing that down to your son would be one hell of a rig for him. Make him earn it. ;)

7 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Personally, I think that rig you got should last you at least 3 years before you should consider upgrading, but I'm also about maximizing my dollar for what I have. My previous rig built in 2014 had an FX 8320 + a GTX 770, and took me 8 years before I did more or less a full upgrade (minus case, PSU, and storage). 

That said, handing that down to your son would be one hell of a rig for him. Make him earn it. ;)

The issue is less with how long this rig will last, versus how long the other one will.  (I went longer than I normally do before building this one because of pandemic pricing.)  When you have 4 gamers in the house, you need multiple place for people to play.

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The issue is less with how long this rig will last, versus how long the other one will.  (I went longer than I normally do before building this one because of pandemic pricing.)  When you have 4 gamers in the house, you need multiple place for people to play.

#Firstworldproblems

:p

17 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

How often do you guys upgrade your PCs? Not like more RAM but the MB/CPU?? 

Cause I'm like on a 8 year cycle. I buy fairly high end and keep it for a long time.

Not often, I feel like it's around 4-6 years for me with CPUs

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

How often do you guys upgrade your PCs? Not like more RAM but the MB/CPU?? 

Cause I'm like on a 8 year cycle. I buy fairly high end and keep it for a long time.

My last rig was 8 years old when I upgraded last year, but that was a more unusual situation given the pandemic and all. Given what I know now, I probably would've just stuck with my Steam Deck, and not upgraded until later. I convinced myself that I needed to though because I could not really video edit anymore. My previous editing program was Power Director, and I no longer had the product key to even use it, so ended up downloading the free version of DaVinci Resolve. Issue with that was my GTX 770 was terrible at running it, and could not edit well at all, plus it was out of date with not receiving any new driver updates. Serious Sam 4 was the game to make me go, "Alright, time for an upgrade." 

EDIT: I did manage to run the game at low settings at a nearly locked 30fps, so felt good about that at least. 

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

I typically like 4 years for the cpu/mb/etc though I’m doing a 3 year because I moved from 60 to 120fps.

I think at this point, that would be the reason for me to upgrade sooner, especially if I get an Ultrawide Monitor. But I'd have to see how my 3060 would handle ultrawide gaming at all first. 

Feeling Old Season 8 GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

FWIW, with CPUs, I need to see at least a 25-30% performance jump in gaming, and the jump needs to be below my refresh rate (since I use vsync :p ) before I’ll typically even consider it. Mostly because changing motherboards is such a pain.

Not only that, but all things considered, CPUs haven't gotten THAT much faster since say 2012. Yes, with more cores and threads, the CPUs having gotten much faster, plus other things such as more Cache, but things such as IPC haven't really made such leaps and bounds improvements. You can argue that single core performance has gotten decently better, and again, more cores does allow for better multi-threaded tasks to be executed. 

But the fact that I can still use a CPU from over ten years ago, and could have a reasonable gaming experience on it, or have a reasonably new OS run on it is impressive enough. Those 3rd and 4th Gen Intel chips from a decade ago still can be useful, and say you decide to add more ram to your mobo, plus use an nvme drive via an M.2 AIC in one of your unused PCIe slots, you could be easily mistaken your CPU was much faster and newer. And if you decide to go full bore with an ultrawide 1440p monitor, or even a 4k, your GPU will be doing the hard carry anyway. 

That said, there are other reason to upgrade a mobo besides just the CPU. Things such as USB 3/4, Type C ports, Thunderbolt, 2.5Gig Lan or above, HDMI/Display Port built-in, plus newer gen PCIe lanes are also things to consider. 

Given I'm on PCIe Gen 4 right now, have three M.2 slots (one 4.0, 2 are 3.0), and I could easily get a ~40-50% boost in CPU performance by going from my current 11400F to a 11700K, I could stay with this mobo setup for a long time. 

My hope is 3D stacking will become more common, especially with AMD pushing this tech in their flagship CPUs, plus more chiplet designs to help to ink out more performance as we approach the limits of die shrinking.