PC Community Thread

stepee

If someone with a very outdated PC is in this thread... 

5006416_999999.jpg
WWW.MICROCENTER.COM

Get it now! Find over 30,000 products at your local Micro Center, including the Intel Core i7-12700K, ASUS Z690 Plus TUF Gaming WiFi DDR4, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3200 Kit, Computer Build Combo

<- holy fuck that's a deal and a half.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Maybe I'm LTTP, but I finally upgraded to Windows 11. I just got the prompt today.

I went in early and besides it breaking Quest wireless streaming from Windows which I blame more on Meta for never fixing it’s been a great experience honestly. I also think I take for granted how nice Windows OS looks with hdr nowadays.

And sooooo @Rev I finally caved, I just NEED to see it, I ordered the n-real glasses and they should be here May 1-3rd. I’m so curious about a lot of things with it though some stuff isn’t out yet like windows support. But that direct connect to steam deck means I get to play with it as soon as it gets here. 

I’m hoping it works well with moonlight and it will just be a way to play my regular pc games streamed on a 150” oled tv while laying in bed.

Still a little unsure if it’s going to have a good use case to me in this early form but I got $250 amazon credit for my bday and I’m just too curious!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

And sooooo @Rev I finally caved, I just NEED to see it, I ordered the n-real glasses and they should be here May 1-3rd. I’m so curious about a lot of things with it though some stuff isn’t out yet like windows support. But that direct connect to steam deck means I get to play with it as soon as it gets here. 

I’m hoping it works well with moonlight and it will just be a way to play my regular pc games streamed on a 150” oled tv while laying in bed.

Still a little unsure if it’s going to have a good use case to me in this early form but I got $250 amazon credit for my bday and I’m just too curious!

Hah, my husband is talking about getting these for our Japan trip to use with the Steam Deck on the flight. His friend(who we're going with) just bought a pair and he's waiting for his verdict before buying.

His friend has terrible vision and only wears glasses and he quickly found he can't use these without glasses, so he's gonna have to order some prescription lenses.

29 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Hah, my husband is talking about getting these for our Japan trip to use with the Steam Deck on the flight. His friend(who we're going with) just bought a pair and he's waiting for his verdict before buying.

His friend has terrible vision and only wears glasses and he quickly found he can't use these without glasses, so he's gonna have to order some prescription lenses.

Ahh yeah I’ve seen them suggesting that on their page even that you might need prescription lenses if you normally wear glasses. Luckily I do not! I will be posting my impressions as well for sure. I know Rev has them and last we talked he uses them as like at least one of his main methods of playing and even watching content. 

Actually, I wonder if this does 3D content? It doesn’t right? Like 3D blu rays if you connect it to a ps5? That would be amazing. I’m just wondering out loud.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:22 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

If you can wait until May, I'd hold out for the Rokid Max. It's basically identical except wider FOV and 120hz and the same price. Also the build seems to be stronger. My Nreal Air arms snapped over time from bending too far. 

• Thanks 2

On 4/24/2023 at 7:22 PM, Spork3245 said:
mL3wjc4WY9W6yf2VZ2kHM6-1200-80.png
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

This GPU really is handicapped with its default 8GB configuration.

Even a severely underclocked, 150W version is outpacing the 3070.  This time next year, we're probably going to be having the "If only the 3080 came with 20GB of VRAM" discussion.

6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Even a severely underclocked, 150W version is outpacing the 3070.  This time next year, we're probably going to be having the "If only the 3080 came with 20GB of VRAM" discussion.

I think in a year they’re hoping for Direct Storage to be common and no one will care

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Isn’t that RTX IO? Direct Storage allows faster streaming of data to VRAM like with the PS5/XSX, no?

RTX IO is Nvidia's version of Direct Storage. There is a world in which either could be used sidestep VRAM limitations, but developers would have to optimize for it. And I don't particularly trust them to put the time into doing that with the trend we're seeing in the latest releases. 

Plus I don't see it really solving problems like HUB showed in Hogwarts Legacy and Forspoken, each having extreme texture pop-in. It'll make pop-in less severe, but loading in would still be inevitable compared to just having it there in the VRAM. I wonder if HUB tested Forspoken with DirectStorage enabled anyway.

5 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

but developers would have to optimize for it.

That’s the thing, though: they already are on both consoles. Both main consoles only have 16gb of shared ram (meaning it’s not all used as vram).

Also, I thought RTX IO added more than just direct storage? (Gpu data decompression)

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s the thing, though: they already are on both consoles. Both main consoles only have 16gb of shared ram (meaning it’s not all used as vram).

Also, I thought RTX IO added more than just direct storage? (Gpu data decompression)

DS can utilize GPU decompression. I'm not really sure what extra benefit RTX IO will do. It is open source, so perhaps these things will basically merge into the same thing anyway.

And thanks to the lazy Last of Us PC port, we have figured out exactly how the PS5 dedicates 12GB of VRAM to games, with 4GB to the OS, while the Xbox allocates 13.5GB to games.  So safe to say, 12GB will probably be the minimum for current-gen only games going forward.

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

DS can utilize GPU decompression. I'm not really sure what extra benefit RTX IO will do. It is open source, so perhaps these things will basically merge into the same thing anyway.

And thanks to the lazy Last of Us PC port, we have figured out exactly how the PS5 dedicates 12GB of VRAM to games, with 4GB to the OS, while the Xbox allocates 13.5GB to games.  So safe to say, 12GB will probably be the minimum for current-gen only games going forward.

Games use more than VRAM, though, they take up system ram as well, so that 12gb on PS5 is being used as a mix of system and video ram. 

On 4/26/2023 at 1:33 AM, Spork3245 said:
Sue6m2BUDuEuHBK4RzzMKX-970-80.png-jpg.we
PLAY3R.NET

Over the last few days, many users have taken to Reddit to share issues they have been having with their AMD Ryzen 7000X3D processors. One of the main problems some users have been...

hmph MSI released a bios update for this and also to improve boot times which are currently a little weirdly long but not for my pro series board yet, I wonder if that’s coming still or why not 

On 4/27/2023 at 6:37 PM, stepee said:

hmph MSI released a bios update for this and also to improve boot times which are currently a little weirdly long but not for my pro series board yet, I wonder if that’s coming still or why not 

Looks like Gamers Nexus has been able to reproduce the issue, called the issue “pure incompetence on all levels”, said a video is coming soon.

F. I keep almost talking myself into a cpu upgrade despite my 5900x not even being old: it’s the number one gaming cpu from the launch of just one cpu release back, and the number 2 of that generation (only behind the late-release 5800x3D). I don’t want AMD right now because of the issues with the current memory controller (only 2x DDR5 sticks or I hope you like 5200mhz and questionable stability with 4x) and whatever the f is going on with exploding 7000x3Ds, 13th gen Intel looks like 4x DDR5 is mostly fine at 6000mhz and even over 7000mhz with a little luck from your cpu bin, but, it’s the last cpu line on lga1700 so F that. I keep debating on grabbing a 13700k-13900k on a DDR4 board with the justification of “i CaN rEuSe My RaM sO iT’s NoT aS bAD!!1!” despite the mobo I’d want and 13700k being $650-700 still

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

zxuTcF3.jpg
Naughty Dog dev getting tons of likes for this comment about SW:JS. It completely misses the mark. People are complaining about it’s overall performance, not that certain PC’s have weird things going on. 

“It’s so difficult that making Jedi Survivor run well on two consoles was too much!”