PC Community Thread

stepee

24 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

13700k water cooled 16gb DDR3

I'd definitely up system ram to 32gb. Pending the resolution you play at I'd look into a 4070 Ti or a, ideally, a 4080 (you'd need to go a bit over your budget). There's also the 7800XTX. but given the RT performance, especially with Path Tracing in Cyberpunk, I have an extremely hard time recommending high-end AMD GPUs as you'd be spending $1k and need to turn down settings in many games still, which... just hurts my brain. 

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'd definitely up system ram to 32gb. Pending the resolution you play at I'd look into a 4070 Ti or a, ideally, a 4080 (you'd need to go a bit over your budget). There's also the 7800XTX. but given the RT performance, especially with Path Tracing in Cyberpunk, I have an extremely hard time recommending high-end AMD GPUs as you'd be spending $1k and need to turn down settings in many games still, which... just hurts my brain. 

Upping the memory is on the list with the new GPU. I was looking at the 7900 but its RT seemed less than impressive.

7 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Upping the memory is on the list with the new GPU. I was looking at the 7900 but its RT seemed less than impressive.

The 7900XTX goes below a 3090 Ti in performance when RT is enabled. Path Tracing in CP2077 is basically unplayable on it.

Here's a benchmark someone posted on r/AMD, this is 1440p. It takes Ultra Performance FSR (which looks terrible) to get even close to 60fps: 

• Halal 1

@SimpleG I think there may still be deals at BestBuy if you don't have a BB CC - if you sign-up for one you get a discount on your first purchase, plus I believe there's a coupon code floating around for an additional 10% off (if you use a BB CC, doesn't have to be your first time), which would put a 4080 very close to $1k 

EDIT: Here's the 10% off code if you purchase with a Best Buy Credit Card- APR24EMOB25 , should immediately drop a non-pre-OC'd 4080 to $1080.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

The 7900XTX goes below a 3090 Ti in performance when RT is enabled. Path Tracing in CP2077 is basically unplayable on it.

Here's a benchmark someone posted on r/AMD, this is 1440p. It takes Ultra Performance FSR (which looks terrible) to get even close to 60fps: 

Beyond RT dlss3 adoption is just too good as well to be able to write off the double performance to both gpu and cpu in so many games. Not to mention the extra longevity that will bring. I agree 4080 on sale/stretching budget if possible otherwise 4070ti.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

If you are considering RT, Nvidia is the only way to go.

As @stepee mentioned, DLSS is a game changer.  And DLSS3 adoption is getting extremely high on newer releases (and is being patched into some older games).

However, if you are mostly playing older games that rely only on rasterization, then an AMD GPU probably offers better performance/$. 

• True 1

Also @SimpleG when you go 32gb for ram check your ram speed (also i’m assuming you do not really have ddr3 ram?) and get whatever is best for your motherboard. Ram is dirt cheap again and ram speed matters. You’ll have to get  a full 32gb and ditch the old 16gb, but, it’s worth the price if you are on slower ram.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also @SimpleG when you go 32gb for ram check your ram speed (also i’m assuming you do not really have ddr3 ram?) and get whatever is best for your motherboard. Ram is dirt cheap again and ram speed matters. You’ll have to get  a full 32gb and ditch the old 16gb, but, it’s worth the price if you are on slower ram.

Ddr4 not 3 sorry , 16 seemed acceptable for so long but 32 seems the minimum now.

41 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Ddr4 not 3 sorry , 16 seemed acceptable for so long but 32 seems the minimum now.

Your cpu supports ddr5 5400mhz but can maybe be higher depending on your motherboard - what motherboard do you have? I would definitely get ddr5 ram and ditch the ddr4

I’m visiting my parents(mom just had her mastectomy) but husband just sent me a photo showing he picked up the new CPUs a day early. He’s not too busy at work, so the game room PC should be up and going when I get home tonight. Definitely gonna be trying out TLOU. 

Assuming all is well with these parts, I should be ordering the same combo for my PC this weekend. 

• Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’m visiting my parents(mom just had her mastectomy) but husband just sent me a photo showing he picked up the new CPUs a day early. He’s not too busy at work, so the game room PC should be up and going when I get home tonight. Definitely gonna be trying out TLOU. 

Assuming all is well with these parts, I should be ordering the same combo for my PC this weekend. 

By same combo do you mean besides gpu?

55 minutes ago, stepee said:

Your cpu supports ddr5 5400mhz but can maybe be higher depending on your motherboard - what motherboard do you have? I would definitely get ddr5 ram and ditch the ddr4

I don’t think there are any MB’s that support both. Switching to DDR5 means new motherboard. 

• Sad 1

Tested out the new setup last night. Played about an hour and half of TLOU and it runs pretty good. Ultra, native 4K, averaging 70FPS, though there were some drops to the 50s. Debating on if I want to scale the resolution and get better performance, but I dunno.

Still some weird missing textures in a couple spots I've noticed so far. But it's entirely playable as it is.

Time to order the parts for my PC and get this all set up!

• Like 1

sigh 8gb :|

Also random note but Crysis Remastered maxed out completely on can it play crysis settings at 4k/dlss balanced no longer dips below 60 for me! And I’m talking when you get to that hill and it turns day time at the beach with that view, where the fps caters, it’s still in the 70s. During big destruction filled shoot outs on camps past that point still solid. I found only one point with a distant view that I was able to tweek the camera to quickly show 58fps but besides that even this is finally fully 4k/60 now on the 7800x3D.

I say 7800x3D because I could NOT hold 60fps at all still with it set as a regular 7950x3D, I have to disable ccd1 otherwise it still is in the 50s as soon as you hit that beach camp in the sunlight. This is the biggest difference I’ve seen between the two modes, probably the biggest I will see due to the nature of the archaic code here.

It’s weird whatever it’s doing on the cpu still with those view distances that melt that one cpu thread. I know maxed out it’s basically rendering full tilt to infinity but I don’t get what all the cpu itself is really doing during those vista views. Most of the time it actually is 120fps it’s just those choke points mean you still would probably want to lock to at least like 90 so the shift isn’t so bad when you hit those. They need to just add frame gen to this and end the Crysis war on cpus already.

Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 both ran beautifully maxed out at locked 120fps with dlss performance. Both can honestly still hold their own against most any current gen game graphically with the remastered ray tracing. Crysis 2 is practically a proper current gen port with upgraded textures and full rtgi.

Crysis 3 isn’t touched up as much but that actually makes it more impressive how damn good it looks still with just I believe RT reflections added mostly. The baked lighting is still best in class and the foliage is still dynamic and dense. This game is 10 years old. I think even more than the original Crysis itself (to be fair partially due being less open and just having better art design)  it’s held up longer tech wise than any game I can think of.

Wait. Pause. Intel is "refreshing" Raptor Lake (13xxx CPUs) with bigger L4 cache and calling them 14xxx? This would be the first time in awhile that they released more than two generations on a single socket, right?

EDIT: NVM, the refreshed Raptor Lake will use a new LGA socket type lol.

I see a lot of weird dlss3 takes but I read one this morning form Toms Hardware complaining about how dlss3 only makes games feel 10-20% faster input latency wise and beyond that the benefit is only if someone is looking over your shoulder and watching you play..do they not..watch the screen as they play?

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I see a lot of weird dlss3 takes but I read one this morning form Toms Hardware complaining about how dlss3 only makes games feel 10-20% faster input latency wise and beyond that the benefit is only if someone is looking over your shoulder and watching you play..do they not..watch the screen as they play?

I think they're trying to say that the fps boost is partially negated by the increase in input latency, but... they're still not correct lol :p 

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think they're trying to say that the fps boost is partially negated by the increase in input latency, but... they're still not correct lol :p 

lol yeah it’s just trying so hard to downplay it - I mean maybe I’m different but especially past 60fps the way motion looks is by far the bigger thing to me above input latency. 

Husband was putting all my new stuff together when I left for work. Took my current stuff outside to blow all the dust out with the air compressor. It was baaaaad. Keeping my 3080, power supply and NVME. Just leaving out my two old 512gb SSDs and if I run out of space on my 2TB nvme, I’ll just buy another. My new mobo has 3 ports. 

Sending my case and old parts, along with a 1080 to his friend in Oregon. She and her wife don’t have a lot of spare cash, she’s been transitioning, going through a lot, and her current PC is super old. I don’t think she plays a ton of new stuff, so this should be okay for her at 1080p. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband was putting all my new stuff together when I left for work. Took my current stuff outside to blow all the dust out with the air compressor. It was baaaaad. Keeping my 3080, power supply and NVME. Just leaving out my two old 512gb SSDs and if I run out of space on my 2TB nvme, I’ll just buy another. My new mobo has 3 ports. 

Sending my case and old parts, along with a 1080 to his friend in Oregon. She and her wife don’t have a lot of spare cash, she’s been transitioning, going through a lot, and her current PC is super old. I don’t think she plays a ton of new stuff, so this should be okay for her at 1080p. 

I gave my old PC to my brother (built a new machine last month) and he's blown away by how fast it is. 

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah I didn’t bother carrying sata ssd’s over either. More slots and cheaper prices on nvme now so it’s easy to just go full in and have less stuff to cable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I know, are they any good? They look amazing. 

Not that great in terms of performance (they’re lower-mid range), and drivers have been a concern (but are getting better). The two that are out are basically 3060 and 3060 Ti competitors with the Arc 750 being slightly faster than the 3060 and 770 being a bit slower. Pricing is decent, though (A770 8gb is around $290ish, 16gb is around $400), and their drop in performance when RT is enabled is comparable with nVidia’s.