PC Community Thread

stepee

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also, in the same spirit as @XxEvil AshxX I started doing youtube stuff (but he probably has a better idea of what he's doing). I considered linking here but I doubt anyone wanted to see my dumb ass or the ancient game I was playing. :lol: At the very least it was good editing, graphic design, etc. practice.

I'm still subbed to your onlyfans. I appreciate the daily feet pics.

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also, in the same spirit as @XxEvil AshxX I started doing youtube stuff (but he probably has a better idea of what he's doing). I considered linking here but I doubt anyone wanted to see my dumb ass or the ancient game I was playing. :lol: At the very least it was good editing, graphic design, etc. practice.

I've actually found the videos of old games do quite well. While the "game of the week" video (i.e. Resident Evil 4) have a limited lifespan before they get buried, the "retro" game videos have much longer legs (at least for me). The most popular video on my tiny little channel is a video covering an old PSP game. It has vastly out-performed any other video on my channel.

I can't really give much in the way of advice to anyone, though. My channel barely has any subs, but I also work full time so this is just a fun thing for me to do. If it makes enough to buy me a cup of coffee once a month, hey that would be great lol. But I'm not holding my breath.

I will say, editing videos is work. If you dont at least kind of enjoy it, it might not last long. And that's coming from someone who isn't going to win any awards.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Seems like the long story short is it’s probably the best card to get if that price range is where you’re at and you need to get a card right now but a good value card is not happening this gpu gen. This is probably where a 4060ti or something should be if everything wasn’t so out of whack. Just suck it up and hope for a lot of dlss3 support to make it worth it or wait for 5000 series seems to be the options. 

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

Seems like the long story short is it’s probably the best card to get if that price range is where you’re at and you need to get a card right now but a good value card is not happening this gpu gen. This is probably where a 4060ti or something should be if everything wasn’t so out of whack. Just suck it up and hope for a lot of dlss3 support to make it worth it or wait for 5000 series seems to be the options. 

I don't think there is much pressure for Nvidia to reduce pricing, given that AMD doesn't have anything on the horizon to complete with DLSS 3.

FSR seems to be notably worse than DLSS 2 (particularly at lower resolutions), let alone having anything to compete with the rest of DLSS 3.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't think there is much pressure for Nvidia to reduce pricing, given that AMD doesn't have anything on the horizon to complete with DLSS 3.

FSR seems to be notably worse than DLSS 2 (particularly at lower resolutions), let alone having anything to compete with the rest of DLSS 3.

Yeah, nvidia will only reduce prices basically in competition with itself if the high prices become such that they slow their own growth by pricing out of range for too many people. AMD somehow continues to charge a premium that is in line with nvidia despite being seriously disadvantaged and that seems to be doing a really big favor to nvidia.

Of course nvidia earns its blame for pretty much setting the current gpu pricing but it would help if since AMD can’t compete on a tech level for them to at least price towards their value. We are too far into the RT era now to just be like “it’s a fine value as long as you play games on lower settings” - that makes no sense to me for high end $500+ cards. 

They should stop benchmarking RT and raster separately honestly, it’s like a weird favor to AMD at this point. RT is just the high/ultra setting now for most AAA for shadows and lighting. You normally don’t have benchmarks showing medium settings just so that one gpu doesn’t look as bad. 

It’s this weird narrative favor to be like oh you can just remove the high quality settings but it’s actually magically about the same because it’s only ray tracing! 

• True 1

In rasterization 4070 looks to be about equal to a 6800XT which is roughly the same price, with RT on it's on the same field as the 7900XT (going by 1440p, I didn't even look at 4k). For that $600 range, this is really the choice. However, it should probably be $500-550 (and I say that knowing that it's already $100 cheaper than the card it's replacing: the 12gb 3080). 

All of the benchmarking videos/articles and video card comparisons, seem to primarily focus on rasterization performance.

I understand that for most legacy software, this is the right way to look at things.  However, I am playing most of my games using DLSS ATM -- even the legacy game I play the most (Forza Horizon 5) now has DLSS 3.

My gaming experience ATM, is almost always a DLSS experience.  I do think that many of the reviews/benchmarking videos this are missing the mark in this area.

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

All of the benchmarking videos/articles and video card comparisons, seem to primarily focus on rasterization performance.

I understand that for most legacy software, this is the right way to look at things.  However, I am playing most of my games using DLSS ATM -- even the legacy game I play the most (Forza Horizon 5) now has DLSS 3.

My gaming experience ATM, is almost always a DLSS experience.  I do think that many of the reviews/benchmarking videos this are missing the mark in this area.

It’s hard to keep things equal with how things are now but they should at least keep all graphical features on for most benchmarks. It’s definitely done in a way now to try to make things look better for AMD than they are to try to be “fair”. But i think it ends up doing potential customers a disservice by misleading them with skewed results.

For any game that has fsr and dlss they should just always bench that using those in quality mode for 4k. FSR also has a performance penalty over dlss despite looking a lot worse and that doesn’t get noticed as much as well with how benches are.

• True 1

Also I swear I’m taking crazy pills or something but even 4k ultra fsr2 is just not that great? I really struggle to find benefit over just switching to 1800p besides being easier in Calisto Protocol for instance. Whenever I experience it I find it blurry in motion in a way I’m not used to with native or dlss. People act like it’s just a little worse than dlss but I always find it quite a bit worse in everything I’ve tried it on. It’s freakin horrible in RE4. AMD needs to invest in AI.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also I swear I’m taking crazy pills or something but even 4k ultra fsr2 is just not that great? I really struggle to find benefit over just switching to 1800p besides being easier in Calisto Protocol for instance. Whenever I experience it I find it blurry in motion in a way I’m not used to with native or dlss. People act like it’s just a little worse than dlss but I always find it quite a bit worse in everything I’ve tried it on. It’s freakin horrible in RE4. AMD needs to invest in AI.

With FSR I’ve definitely noticed that quality varies greatly between games. 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

With FSR I’ve definitely noticed that quality varies greatly between games. 

Maybe it works best on simple scenes with lower detail to keep track of during motion? So essentially, works best with things that don’t need it as much lol

Just now, stepee said:

Maybe it works best on simple scenes with lower detail to keep track of during motion? So essentially, works best with things that don’t need it as much lol

I think it just depends on how much love the developers put into it tbh :p 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it just depends on how much love the developers put into it tbh :p 

Guess that makes sense without AI to do it for you! I just wish people wouldn’t act like they are the same thing because otherwise AMD will never come out with an actual competitor they will always only have an inferior approximation. FSR3 honestly sounds even more dire compared to dlss3 frame gen. That sounds like it really is just doing the same thing tvs do.   

Just now, stepee said:

Guess that makes sense without AI to do it for you! I just wish people wouldn’t act like they are the same thing because otherwise AMD will never come out with an actual competitor they will always only have an inferior approximation. FSR3 honestly sounds even more dire compared to dlss3 frame gen. That sounds like it really is just doing the same thing tvs do.   

I’m very curious how FSR3 actually turns out.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

66-A16-DD0-58-C9-49-EA-B2-F7-372-F72-AFF

No disrespect to the AMD faithful on here, but I cannot imagine spending $1k on a video card that has trouble maxing out Cyberpunk PT at 1440p. FFS, barely 30fps with FSR at 1440p performance-mode? JFC, AMD, fix your RT performance 

Trouble maxing it out is putting it very kindly :P

People will be like oh well this is a cherry picked nvidia example, but why is it a primarily nvidia thing? Because they have the power to run it, bottom line. You don’t pay 1k to not get to experience the cutting edge, makes no sense to me.

And yeah I don’t mean to make a whole page of amd bashing (just got my first amd cpu!) but man I really want them to compete or prices are going to continue to be out of freakin control.

• True 1

We shit on all big corporations in here!

RTX 4070 release, only 30% faster than the 3070 while being 25% more expensive on launch MSRP.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-founders-edition/32.html

Yet again we see no value gain from a node shrink. The last time they raised the price of a xx70 card, with the 2070 launch, you could at least argue the extra die space that RT and Tensor cores take up justifies the price increase. This time they don't have that excuse. I am displeased that several reviewers are calling this card a good value. It's "meh" at best, just like the 4070 Ti and 4080 before it.

4 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

We shit on all big corporations in here!

RTX 4070 release, only 30% faster than the 3070 while being 25% more expensive on launch MSRP.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-founders-edition/32.html

Yet again we see no value gain from a node shrink. The last time they raised the price of a xx70 card, with the 2070 launch, you could at least argue the extra die space that RT and Tensor cores take up justifies the price increase. This time they don't have that excuse. I am displeased that several reviewers are calling this card a good value. It's "meh" at best, just like the 4070 Ti and 4080 before it.

What are the alternatives that offer better value?

Arguably, AMD if you only pay attention to rasterization, and ignore RT and DLSS3. 
I personally think they should have been cheaper, but if I were in this price range, I still think I would buy this card. 

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

What are the alternatives that offer better value?

Arguably, AMD if you only pay attention to rasterization, and ignore RT and DLSS3. 
I personally think they should have been cheaper, but if I were in this price range, I still think I would buy this card. 

That is the sad part. Value doesn't currently exist anymore. AMD followed Nvidia and overpriced the 7900 cards.

• Sad 1
  • True 1

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

That is the sad part. Value doesn't currently exist anymore. AMD followed Nvidia and overpriced the 7900 cards.

Their niche is for people that just want to game, are attached emotionally to Radeon, and/or aren't willing to spend 1600+ dollars on a flat out better card. So people like me. 

Damn Illuminati conformed. My favorite color is red (and black). I like green but not a favorite. I'd make Salamander but not before Dark Angels, Raven Guard, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, White Scars, and pre-heresy Thousand Sons. 

World Eaters get an honourable mention for blood for the blood god purposes.

• True 1

11 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

$500 to $600 is 20% more expensive. This is the most reasonable price increase outside of the xx90 (the base price of Titan/xx90s in general is a different discussion). If you look at inflation from the 3070 launch until now, $500 2020 dollars is currently $575-590 pending on the calculator used ($1 2020 is $1.15-1.18 2023). The price increase in this instance isn’t overly horrendous.

Ultimately it's all we can do. Nvidia only makes GPUs they don't care about the low end. They want/need margins. AMD makes low end cards because APUs aren't a point where you can go who needs a lower end than an entry level APU works well enough.

I hope with the 5000 series emerges a 1060 for this gen. An actually affordable card that can easily run everything fine at 60fps at a reasonable resolution for the time so like that would be 1440 dlss quality or 4k performance today. If they continue the pricing trend with the 5000 series then maybe that card could at least be discounted or rebranded 4070’s or something. But something that can do that for $350 or so, it’s time for that for this gen.

Keep your GPUs erect and straight, boys:

UTpDCiGanV5FD8iVBy3naY-1200-80.png
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Sag brackets are not just nice accessories, but necessary to prolong the life of heavy triple-slot graphics cards

TLDR:

Sagging + thermal expansion/contraction over time can break solder joints.

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Keep your GPUs erect and straight, boys:

UTpDCiGanV5FD8iVBy3naY-1200-80.png
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Sag brackets are not just nice accessories, but necessary to prolong the life of heavy triple-slot graphics cards

TLDR:

Sagging + thermal expansion/contraction over time can break solder joints.

I use a vertical stand that came with my zotsc 4090 that holds it up so is that good enough?