PC Community Thread

stepee

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Son's laptop just died -- going to see if it is fixable.  But in the meantime, it looks like my gaming PC will be used for homework for most of the next week.

I guess I will have to see how Hogwart's Legacy runs on Steam Deck.

I tried it and it was playable at 30fps low settings when it launched with drops in the usual cpu areas Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, but they might have ironed those out by now.

Peoples devices seem to be dying like crazy on this board :O

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I tried it and it was playable at 30fps low settings when it launched with drops in the usual cpu areas Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, but they might have ironed those out by now.

Peoples devices seem to be dying like crazy on this board :O

I've got 3 games on the go already (Jedi Survivor, Hogwart's Legacy and Zelda) -- hoping to not get a forth going.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Next up in my backlog would probably be Elden Ring, Cyberpunk or the Spider-Man games....

I have some seriously good games in my backlog!

Spiderman runs great on deck if Hogwarts isn’t so hot!

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

4060 Ti is coming May 24th for $399: same launch price as the 3060 Ti. 4060 and 16gb 4060 Ti are rumored for July, with the 16gb Ti expected to be $499.

Nope, 4060 coming same day, $299: 

geforce-rtx-4060-family-ogimage.jpg
WWW.NVIDIA.COM

1080p gamers get a substantial upgrade with the new GeForce RTX 4060 Family, powered by the NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture, and AI-accelerated by DLSS 3. Play today’s best games at high frame rates and fantastic levels of detail, enhanced with DLSS in over 300 games and apps.

• Shocked 1

BTW, I'm assuming 4060 will have 3070 like performance, and 4060 Ti will have 3070 Ti performance. Based on specs people are saying the 4060 Ti will be like a 3070 (non-Ti), but I'll go by historical naming schemes until there are actual benchmarks available given how extremely off everyone's been from "going by specs" for the 4000 series so far. :p 

OH, and the 4060 is launching for $30 less than the 3060 did ($329).

(Sorry, three posts in a row!) I do really think that nVidia dropped the ball with these cards being 8gb. They each should've been 10gb (they're 1080p target cards according to nVidia) with the same pricing and a 20gb variant in 2 months, OR, just launched with only a single variant that's 12-16gb for either the same price or $30-50 more (in which case the 4070/4070 Ti should've been 16gb).

On our new 128-bit memory bus GeForce RTX 4060 Ti GPUs, the 8GB model uses four 16Gb GDDR6 memory chips, and the 16GB model uses eight 16Gb chips. Mixing densities isn’t possible, preventing the creation of a 12GB model, for example. That’s also why the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti has an option with more memory (16GB) than the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti and 4070, which have 192-bit memory interfaces and therefore 12GB of VRAM.

Hm I’m thinking maybe I will try a gaming laptop again soon. I went to best buy to see how the sizes look these days and I’m still pretty dead set on a 14” if I get one. I hate clunky laptops, 16” is definitely a no go. I’d get 15” but only if every 14” had a big reason not get it. Besides wanting a smaller size part of the idea would be that I would be using the n-real glasses with it so the screen size is more than fine.

I’m looking at: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-165hz-gaming-laptop-2560x1600-qhd-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-with-16gb-and-1tb-ssd/6544090.p?skuId=6544090

They have the incorrect display specs listed, that model comes with a mini led 600nit hdr display It’s not oled, but it’s the closest I found with a 4080, I could not find a good oled laptop. If there is a good 14” oled laptop I missed please point me to it!

The other things that I don’t like are 16gb of ram, so lame considering the spec here, I don’t mind buying the ram it’s just annoying that I’ll have to open it up, and I rather have a 4080 than a 4090. No big reason for the latter, it’s fine, it’s just I don’t think the extra price is worth it and feel like a 4080 would be more efficient. 

So what Id like is a 14” 4080 laptop with a high end mobile intel or amd cpu, 1tb or greater nvme, oled hdr 120hz or greater, and 32gb ddr5. This is the closest I found so far but I probably won’t bite for a couple weeks.

15 hours ago, stepee said:

Hm I’m thinking maybe I will try a gaming laptop again soon. I went to best buy to see how the sizes look these days and I’m still pretty dead set on a 14” if I get one. I hate clunky laptops, 16” is definitely a no go. I’d get 15” but only if every 14” had a big reason not get it. Besides wanting a smaller size part of the idea would be that I would be using the n-real glasses with it so the screen size is more than fine.

I’m looking at: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-165hz-gaming-laptop-2560x1600-qhd-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-with-16gb-and-1tb-ssd/6544090.p?skuId=6544090

They have the incorrect display specs listed, that model comes with a mini led 600nit hdr display It’s not oled, but it’s the closest I found with a 4080, I could not find a good oled laptop. If there is a good 14” oled laptop I missed please point me to it!

The other things that I don’t like are 16gb of ram, so lame considering the spec here, I don’t mind buying the ram it’s just annoying that I’ll have to open it up, and I rather have a 4080 than a 4090. No big reason for the latter, it’s fine, it’s just I don’t think the extra price is worth it and feel like a 4080 would be more efficient. 

So what Id like is a 14” 4080 laptop with a high end mobile intel or amd cpu, 1tb or greater nvme, oled hdr 120hz or greater, and 32gb ddr5. This is the closest I found so far but I probably won’t bite for a couple weeks.

MSI makes some mini-LED laptops with actual HDR certification for HDR10(1000) on a 4k screen. I think they may be 15-17” only, though. It’s their line meant for “creators”, which is why they actually put the effort into proper display accuracy, so you’ll have to dig a bit more to find them.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
LjogzY65rG52bYRpuZWeXm-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Memory capacity and bus width hamstring performance at higher resolutions.

It more-often matching the 3070 and not the 3070 Ti is a bit disappointing. I do wonder how the 16gb version will fair.

Looks like if you hit the VRAM limit on the 4060 Ti, a 3060 Ti slightly outperforms it (like 1-2fps) due to the higher bus speed.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I was curious in a silly question. Hypothetically let's say the PS6 released tomorrow. How would it stack up against the rig you guys have? I know you obviously don't know the specs but you can guess for me. :angel:

If it released tomorrow it would be a pro, there wouldn’t be enough of an upgrade for a reasonable enough of a cost to mass market for a successor at this time. I would imagine what they could do now is maybe double the gpu and boost the cpu clocks a little for $600 which would be like a 3080 in power but without dlss. 

The question is will a ps6 in 5 years be as powerful as top of the line gaming pc today. We are already past the 16x performance leap you would hope for in new gen on the gpu end when you count dlss3.

Cpu isnt as far and harder to gauge but let’s just say 2x there. But the cpu will definitely be better than what of gamers have now that is absolutely for sure. Bandwidth and i/o will be better.

But for raw gpu power does it match a 4090 with dlss3 in 5 years? Part of that will depend on AMD. I hope what happens is as pc gpu power continues to skyrocket past current gen that AMD figures out better image scaling with AI and gets a real dlss3 fg competitor off the ground and improved their RT ability and essentially next gen we see a much bigger leap then this one on the console side.

• Thanks 1

So I just went with this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-165hz-gaming-laptop-2560x1600-qhd-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-with-16gb-and-1tb-ssd/6544090.p?skuId=6544090

Apparently the listing is wrong and it’s the same model as on the asus site so it’s the micro led “hdr” screen and 32gb of ram. So it’s pretty good spec wise and the size I want and the next best thing to oled. As close as I could find as I didn’t like the specs of any oled laptop besides 17” ones and no

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

So I just went with this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-165hz-gaming-laptop-2560x1600-qhd-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-with-16gb-and-1tb-ssd/6544090.p?skuId=6544090

Apparently the listing is wrong and it’s the same model as on the asus site so it’s the micro led “hdr” screen and 32gb of ram. So it’s pretty good spec wise and the size I want and the next best thing to oled. As close as I could find as I didn’t like the specs of any oled laptop.l besides 17” ones and no

Holy shit. Nice.

• Like 1

I will say shopping for a gaming laptop over the last two weeks has been kind of a frustrating experience. Maybe it’s always been this way and just nature of the type of device but it just feels like with the technology we have today there aren’t the combinations of size, tech, and display that I would hope for, no matter the price.

The exact laptop I would like doesn’t exist so then it just became a matter of which one annoyed me the least. I get there is only so much power you can get out of a 14” frame but more oled and micro led options would be nice.

I was lucky enough to be able to overpay and get this restrained 4090 that should be like a really fast laptop 4080 (but with an extra 4gb vram!) so I’ll get the power I want in the size I want at least, but it’s definitely over paying and otherwise I’d probably have just abandoned the entire idea right now.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I still think reviewers are undervaluing DLSS 3.0. The hit to image quality is really minimal and the frame rate impact is huge. 

I really think the Jays2cents video is a bad take. 

I feel like dlss3 works so well and support is coming so quickly these people are having a hard time deciding how they want to frame it. Like it’s a hard thing to be cynical on, it’s scary close to just being a “give me double performance” button.

• True 1