Cousin of BLM co-founder dies after being tased by cop.

230113115145-keenan-anderson-black-lives
WWW.CNN.COM

A 31-year-old father and English teacher died from cardiac arrest last week after he was repeatedly tased by police, according to the Los Angeles Police Department, marking the third officer-involved death in the city this year.

31 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

It really angers me when the police just straight up murder people. Jesus fucking Christ 

Well, we can add paramedics to the list too

230113133027-il-paramedics-charged-finle
WWW.CNN.COM

Two paramedics in Illinois are facing murder charges after a patient died of positional asphyxiation shortly after he was taken to a hospital in December, court documents say.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

He had largely ceased resisting and was mostly subdued when the taser was used so there was no need to employ it.

Really? Didn’t seem like it to me. He appeared to me to be trying to get free all the way until the conclusion of the last jolts of the taser. I am sometimes bewildered by what people seem to think they are seeing in these videos!

That being said, I don’t think they needed to use the taser. While he was still resisting and they hadn’t yet got him restrained in the cuffs, it seemed clear they had control over him and the potential threat to the officers was not high enough to warrant the use (in my opinion) even though it was probably within the scope of their policy to do so.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Cops put people into fight or flight mode and then act like either reaction is a reason to execute them. Maybe, just maybe, it should be on the supposedly trained professionals to de-escalate. 

Descalation doesn’t always work.

But this mindset is now why nurses in my dept refuse to stop psych patients trying to leave. I get out of the way and direct them to the door after my verbal deescalation fails. I’m not sure what else PD was supposed to do here other than let him go.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Cops put people into fight or flight mode and then act like either reaction is a reason to execute them. Maybe, just maybe, it should be on the supposedly trained professionals to de-escalate. 

Cops will be like "I deescalated by slapping the cuffs on."

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I think the cop did everything fine. The guy was on some serious shit and just wouldn't stop resisting. It's a shame but it had to be done. 

This is the American perspective. In other wealthy countries, police often would not be allowed to use this level of force given how many officers were present and the level of control they had over the man. So it is certainly up for debate over whether it “had to be done” :p 

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is the American perspective. In other wealthy countries, police often would not be allowed to use this level of force given how many officers were present and the level of control they had over the man. So it is certainly up for debate over whether it “had to be done” :p 

Hard to say. Before I decided to just stop putting hands on combative patients you’d often be in fights where you’d outnumber the person substantially and people would still get hurt. 

9 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Hard to say. Before I decided to just stop putting hands on combative patients you’d often be in fights where you’d outnumber the person substantially and people would still get hurt. 

Are nurses required to learn how to physically subdue a resisting person in similar ways to police officers? I have no idea.

In this particular situation, it seems the officers on his back have really solid control over the guy. The initial threat to deploy the taser was when he was face up and the officer told him to roll over, or else. They in short order do get him rolled over, so their control over him to that point was good. Nothing once his is rolled over seems to hunt that they were losing control of him.

I think the officer was already annoyed by the guy and just wanted compliance as quickly as possible. That just reminded of one of the things I remember from a conversation with a long time HPD officer that I hire for security jobs from time to time. After one of these police/citizen altercation videos blew up, I was chatting with him and I asked what he would have done differently and he said something g to the effect of “slow it all down, there is no rush, you aren’t about to run out of time.”

This does seem to be a common feature of many of these situations, an officer who just has no patience for the behavior of the person they are dealing with. That is understandable as a human, but part of the job should be to use violence only when necessary, not because it is expedient.

Wonder how necessary the taser would have been if it was a white guy instead 🤔

Watching the video the guy is on drugs and confused, not combative. He's afraid already and then on top of it the cop starts yelling and they all swarm him and kill him.

There was no deescalation in this situation, the cop just kept saying sit down instead of trying to have a conversation with him.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

I think the cop did everything fine. The guy was on some serious shit and just wouldn't stop resisting. It's a shame but it had to be done. 

30 seconds of tasing?!? Taking them once might be withing policy but he just shocked him for half a minute straight that is excessive use of force and he should be charged with first degree murder. They had control of the situation that was completely unnecessary.

23 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

30 seconds of tasing?!? Taking them once might be withing policy but he just shocked him for half a minute straight that is excessive use of force and he should be charged with first degree murder. They had control of the situation that was completely unnecessary.

They really didn't have control of HIM so they had to tase him until he would be compliant. I wasn't there...none of us were. ..so we shouldn't be making too many comments on it. The guy was completely out of control and on drugs. He was potentially dangerous, too. 

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

They really didn't have control of HIM so they had to tase him until he would be compliant. I wasn't there...none of us were. ..so we shouldn't be making too many comments on it. The guy was completely out of control and on drugs. He was potentially dangerous, too. 

How's that boot taste? 

• Halal 1

48 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Again, the threat to user the taser on him was to ‘roll over or else’. Moments later he had rolled over, so either he was complying with their commands or the officers he control over him. There really is no other option than those two. Only a few second after he rolls over they still end up using the taser on him despite the fact that he was either competing or they had control of him.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Again, the threat to user the taser on him was to ‘roll over or else’. Moments later he had rolled over, so either he was complying with their commands or the officers he control over him. There really is no other option than those two. Only a few second after he rolls over they still end up using the taser on him despite the fact that he was either competing or they had control of him.

21 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I saw the body cam yesterday and the guy was paranoid and looked strung out on something.  Drugs or a mental breakdown.  I actually thought the cop was reasonable.  Not sure what else they can do when the guy is acting manic running into traffic.

I agree with what darkstar said. 

Seeing the video I'll just say that bad actors exists, dude was obviously looking for an exit, and the fear of a black man being 'scripted' through such a familiar death sequence is probably unequalled. I don't see any provocation that should result in arrest, probably overwatch. Like the other poster said this shit should NOT be a death.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Its hard to see but I believe he was on his back/kind of on his side right as the taser was deployed. After that he is rolled on to his stomach and his hands are blocked from view the entire time. I assume he was pulling them away from being cuffed.  I don't have an answer as to what should be done in this situation. Should the officers just dog pile him and hold him down until he exhausts himself?  There is the risk of suffocating him then.  Hell, the guy could have given himself a heart attack after all the struggling he did.  Do you let the guy run off in the beginning? Opens up a lot of risk to bystanders then.  To me in the grand scheme, 30 seconds of tasering off and on trying to get his hands cuffed doesn't seem that extreme. 

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Do you let the guy run off in the beginning? Opens up a lot of risk to bystanders then.  To me in the grand scheme, 30 seconds of tasering off and on trying to get his hands cuffed doesn't seem that extreme. 

He wasn't violent so he's no threat to bystanders. If anything it shouldn't have gotten to that part. Running off wasn't the beginning. He should have listened and talked to the guy and engaged with him so that he wouldn't have run off in the first place. That guy needed comfort and reassurance not someone yelling at him the whole time.

• Halal 1