What is a lie that you believed growing up?

DarkStar189

Could have been told to you by friends, family, etc...  I was reminded of this one the other day. It was cloudy outside but the sun was shining these perfect sun rays down through holes in the clouds in some areas.  When I was a kid, I remember my mother's friend telling me you see those when someone just died and they are being lifted up to heaven.  So for months afterwards, anytime I saw light shining down from the clouds all I'm thinking is "oh man somebody just died way over there.  I wonder how they died".  Thanks for the anxiety.  At some point I remember mentioning it to my mom in the car and freaked her out a little when I was like "somebody just died over there". She set the record straight luckily.

• Haha 1

My list of shit is so long it could be a book, so I'll just pick one an say that my parents suggested that my second oldest brother was "Adopted" except years later we found out they had no formal papers for said "adoption". So, like everything else in my childhood, it was a lie. My folks are some wacky kids... 

• Sad 1

Being born in 1985, the HIV/AIDS panic of the late 80s/early 90s included claims that you could catch it from toilet seats. For much of my childhood I refused to sit on toilets except at home. I think even once I learned this wasn’t true my mind and body was so conditioned to believe that, I still to this day get a weird feeling if I have to sit on a toilet besides at home. Crazy.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Being born in 1985, the HIV/AIDS panic of the late 80s/early 90s included claims that you could catch it from toilet seats. For much of my childhood I refused to sit on toilets except at home. I think even once I learned this wasn’t true my mind and body was so conditioned to believe that, I still to this day get a weird feeling if I have to sit on a toilet besides at home. Crazy.

At least one of my teachers in grade school taught us that you could get HIV/AIDS from sexual contact. Not sexual contact with someone else that had HIV/AIDS... just sexual contact in general.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

At least one of my teachers in grade school taught us that you could get HIV/AIDS from sexual contact. Not sexual contact with someone else that had HIV/AIDS... just sexual contact in general.

What a time to be alive

The big park in my hometown has this little hill. When we were kids we would roll down it and my dad told us it was an Indian burial mound. I didn’t find out until an embarrassing age (high school or so) that it was an artificial hill that contained all the parks plumbing and sprinkler systems. I still complain to my dad about that lie. 

• Haha 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Yes. Me too, I think I only pooped at school or college once. it's only been the last 8yrs really that I've learned to let it go. Pun intended. 

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

The big park in my hometown has this little hill. When we were kids we would roll down it and my dad told us it was an Indian burial mound. I didn’t find out until an embarrassing age (high school or so) that it was an artificial hill that contained all the parks plumbing and sprinkler systems. I still complain to my dad about that lie. 

hahaha I mean those exist but why would you make that up!? lmao

9 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Similarly, it wasn’t a lie but growing up in southern ohio there were tons of these including one in the town I grew up in, see here: 

Mound Park

AF1QipNOs7R_jvL1Gx6NTqOHfok-yorT1isYSt-V
MAPS.APP.GOO.GL

★★★★☆ · Historical landmark

When I was younger the earthwork was not fenced off and there was no play set next to it (my family volunteered to help build this when I was in elementary school) so we would be *encouraged* to play on it. 😬

I guess the lie was that this was a burial ground which made it seem cooler as a kid but looking back that would have been horrifying if it were true

15 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I was born in 1987 and I've had the same public bathroom fear/phobia with toilet seats as long as I can remember. I wonder if that played a part. I definitely remember talk about hiv/aids for sure in elementary school.  I really only started using public restrooms over the last 10 years since I had kids.  

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Similarly, it wasn’t a lie but growing up in southern ohio there were tons of these including one in the town I grew up in, see here: 

Mound Park

AF1QipNOs7R_jvL1Gx6NTqOHfok-yorT1isYSt-V
MAPS.APP.GOO.GL

★★★★☆ · Historical landmark

When I was younger the earthwork was not fenced off and there was no play set next to it (my family volunteered to help build this when I was in elementary school) so we would be *encouraged* to play on it. 😬

I guess the lie was that this was a burial ground which made it seem cooler as a kid but looking back that would have been horrifying if it were true

Are you the guy with the prosthetic leg and backwards cap?

I used to believe the myth that Daddy Long-legs were super venomous, but safe because their fangs can't pierce human skin.  It seemed like a fun animal/science fact and I had no reason to believe it wasn't true. I even told my kids this one when they were younger.  Years later I come to find out it's just an urban legend and they aren't venomous at all.

• Halal 1