Barbie - Teaser Trailer (July 21, 2023)

TheLeon

44 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

Also Matt Gaetz was at the premiere of the movie wtf. Whoever was responsible for inviting him should be fired. Like what’s the benefit of inviting someone who is just gonna complain about it being too woke? I truly don’t get it.

He's there to find the underage girls.

• True 2

2 hours ago, ort said:

Yeah, but does it have a 10 minute shot of Ryan Goslings butthole?

It will be kinda funny if Barbie ends up with a higher RT score than Oppenheimer... it actually might...

Ken doesn't have a butthole, or genitalia. In fact I'm now hoping for a nude scene where we see all the Kens are smooth eunuchs. Barbie too. Gonna be hot. 

• Sicko Sherman 1

Had the double feature booked for tomorrow, but my schedule had to change so I went last night with the wife.

My local theater always adds at least a couple showtimes the day a big film opens, presumably for walk-ins, and they're always empty. It's nice, because if I didn't get seats for opening night weeks in advance, I can always get a good seat that morning. Usually these showing stay pretty empty, even for big Marvel movies or whatever. Barbie last night was nearly full, in addition to every other showing that was posted advance being completely packed. This Barbie marketing team has hit it out of the park.

As for the film itself, it's amazing. If you were to plot out films with one axis being "high concept" and the other being "commercial," Barbie would stand alone in the far right corner, extremes in both regards. It's self aware and meta to an astounding degree, but it is fully committed. I was amazed by how much it sticks to the bit. There is a deadly seriousness with how the film treats absurdity that is unrelenting. By the end it over-intellectualizes itself, but it's so earnest in all it does and tries to do I couldn't help but be drawn in. I don't think the film is ever particularly subversive, but it throws out plenty of red meat for those looking to write bad takes even while settling for a low bar of broad appeal messaging.

It's also funny. If you're not laughing at the jokes, you're at least giggling at the premise or the audacity it took to make this movie. The production design team deserves an Oscar and the soundtrack is wild and essential. It all adds up to something that feels instantly iconic, particularly for Margot Robbie, who has to be both the perfect Barbie and show some real range. Gosling gets to have more fun with Ken, who is endearing even when he's terrible, but this is Barbie's movie and Robbie is definitively Barbie.

The film is both an homage to cinema and something completely modern. It's steeped in references to classics both bold and subtle, but it's also entirely fresh. It's a goofy movie about an existential crisis and one of the most entertaining things I've seen this year.

I suspect that some people are going to bounce hard off Barbie. It does its best to put you into a trance and pull you deep into the escalating layers of its nonsense, and if you can allow yourself to be hypnotized by the aggressive neon artificiality, I think most people will find something worthwhile to enjoy in Barbie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Halal 2

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Had the double feature booked for tomorrow, but my schedule had to change so I went last night with the wife.

My local theater always adds at least a couple showtimes the day a big film opens, presumably for walk-ins, and they're always empty. It's nice, because if I didn't get seats for opening night weeks in advance, I can always get a good seat that morning. Usually these showing stay pretty empty, even for big Marvel movies or whatever. Barbie last night was nearly full, in addition to every other showing that was posted advance being completely packed. This Barbie marketing team has hit it out of the park.

As for the film itself, it's amazing. If you were to plot out films with one axis being "high concept" and the other being "commercial," Barbie would stand alone in the far right corner, extremes in both regards. It's self aware and meta to an astounding degree, but it is fully committed. I was amazed by how much it sticks to the bit. There is a deadly seriousness with how the film treats absurdity that is unrelenting. By the end it over-intellectualizes itself, but it's so earnest in all it does and tries to do I couldn't help but be drawn in. I don't think the film is ever particularly subversive, but it throws out plenty of red meat for those looking to write bad takes even while settling for a low bar of broad appeal messaging.

It's also funny. If you're not laughing at the jokes, you're at least giggling at the premise or the audacity it took to make this movie. The production design team deserves an Oscar and the soundtrack is wild and essential. It all adds up to something that feels instantly iconic, particularly for Margot Robbie, who has to be both the perfect Barbie and show some real range. Gosling gets to have more fun with Ken, who is endearing even when he's terrible, but this is Barbie's movie and Robbie is definitively Barbie.

The film is both an homage to cinema and something completely modern. It's steeped in references to classics both bold and subtle, but it's also entirely fresh. It's a goofy movie about an existential crisis and one of the most entertaining things I've seen this year.

I suspect that some people are going to bounce hard off Barbie. It does its best to put you into a trance and pull you deep into the escalating layers of its nonsense, and if you can allow yourself to be hypnotized by the aggressive neon artificiality, I think most people will find something worthwhile to enjoy in Barbie.

i agree with a lot of what you said. i had a blast

• Like 1

I know men who love the movie but this movie just hits harder if you’re a woman. The America Ferrara monologue in the movie is so such a powerful moment. Second time I saw it was with a nearly full theater with mostly women and everyone cheered and clapped after her monologue. I’m still getting chills thinking about it.

And it was so wonderful seeing a trans actor play a Barbie and not once is she made the butt of a trans joke or even treated any differently. This is how trans women want to be treated, just like you would treat any other woman. Seeing this depicted in a mainstream movie is so beautiful and means a lot to me with all the hateful rhetoric floating around. I adore this movie so much and I’m thankful it exists.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I know men who love the movie but this movie just hits harder if you’re a woman. The America Ferrara monologue in the movie is so such a powerful moment. Second time I saw it was with a nearly full theater with mostly women and everyone cheered and clapped after her monologue. I’m still getting chills thinking about it.

And it was so wonderful seeing a trans actor play a Barbie and not once is she made the butt of a trans joke or even treated any differently. This is how trans women want to be treated, just like you would treat any other woman. Seeing this depicted in a mainstream movie is so beautiful and means a lot to me with all the hateful rhetoric floating around. I adore this movie so much and I’m thankful it exists.

My theater was mostly women and I probably laughed a bit more than the others, which was weird. I'm sure it's an anomaly, though. I rarely do the movies alone so for a movie like this, I'm always consulting with my other half about what we watched. She's more in the like-not-love category, but she seemed, like you, to appreciate the heavy feminist message. I moved in with her years ago, but I joked later that she's living in my mojo dojo casa home. :p 

I can see why this angered so much of the right-wing media -- the movie is saying to love you for you, which WE CAN'T HAVE GOSH DARN IT.

It’s very campy and very gay in both its influences and aesthetic. The first time I saw it was with a large group of queer people and we were all laughing hard. This is destined to be a LGBT classic I can already tell based on other reactions I’ve heard from the local queer community here. I’m glad we have a movie that felt made for us, at least.

The movie also has so much to say I’m still processing everything I took away from it. Will post my full thoughts soon.