New Zealand imposes lifetime ban on youth buying cigarettes

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Bad.  I hate smoking too.  But people should be free to destroy their own bodies.  My body, my choice.

Fair, but smoking is so damn gross and I'm so tired of walking through clouds of smoke and dodging piles of spit (every smoker in Korea spits constantly on the ground) that I want to go Attila the Hun on all of them.

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Bad.  I hate smoking too.  But people should be free to destroy their own bodies.  My body, my choice.

I agree, people should be allowed to do what they want to/with their bodies. BUT, I also agree with banning the sale of these products since we know how dangerous they are. Let people make their own if they know how to grow, harvest, and use tobacco, but otherwise ban commercial production of cigarettes and their like on the grounds that they are known carcinogens with massive social health negatives.

47 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Good. I hate smoking. It's disgusting and affects everyone around you.

I remember going to restaurants as a kid and the hostess saying "Smoking or non?", but in a small restaurant it didn't really mean much since the smell was everywhere. If I stay too close to someone smoking for more than a couple minutes I start to get a sore throat. Not sure if that means I'm allergic or something. My grandfather died when I was younger and cigarettes were half the reason.  I don't remember the exact medical details other than "he smoked so much he had to get his voice box removed" and had a hole in his throat. He became a drunk after that.  He died when he drank so much one night, he passed out on the floor and his airway got blocked and he suffocated. Smoking is pretty gross.

/My random thoughts on smoking 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

I agree with this but add caveats: You shouldn’t be able to do it anywhere that minors are present, including your car and home. It should be taxed so heavily that any and all people on MEDICAID that have illness adjacent to smoking have their treatment paid for.

• Halal 1

I don't like cigarettes personally but a Newport is a guilty pleasure as are black and milds. Cigars are cool. I do smoke weed but edibles wre superior. 

Vaping is just flat out superior. I do miss the flavors though but I guess I can atleast go to PA. I still find it dumb that I can buy weed and buy edibles but can't buy flavored e-liquids. 

I smoked for 10 years from the tail end of high school until just after I finished grad school. I have a lot of memories both good and bad that involve smoking, but as I’ve gotten older and begun to reconcile my choices with my mortality I don’t see any good in it. Or, I do the see the personal enjoyment I derived from it, but being unable to separate any good from the horrific adverse effects it can have on oneself and others makes it a no go. I’m here for this law. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, unogueen said:

Choices are nice, but not are choices are equally nice. There's a right to live, less so a right to kill. Tying an obvious social danger to market motivations and fighting back from the other end seems like a lot of effort for not much gain for the greater public.

What in the hell are you going on about? I feel like this is some secret language that I’m too dumb to understand.

Just now, TUFKAK said:

It won’t and I’m opposed to the idea of legislating what others do to their own bodies. I’ll just say alcohol absolutely causes more social ill than smoking.

Yeah, but I very against drunk driving. I wish very bad things on those people and I would ban it if it meant no more drunk drivers. 

Of course, you could just ban cars instead, but 90% of America requires a vehicle in daily life. 

I too hate smokers of cigarettes and find the smell irritating and gross. Hated when my dad smoked them and eventually smoked them outside because of my brothers health. Then my brother got older and became a smoker as well and I shared a room with him. His smokey pan tar filled farts were even worse and could choke a donkey. 

I don’t mind the smell of some cigars, and I vape/bong hits for my weed. In some ways I don’t consider myself a traditional smoker but accept the label of deemed appropriate. Don’t know how they would follow through on this in NZ but best of luck I guess 

13 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.  Smoking DEFINITELY affects surrounding individuals unlike, you know, ABORTION.

Apologies if sarcasm was intended, if so you should edit that in.

11 minutes ago, TyphoidHater said:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.  Smoking DEFINITELY affects surrounding individuals unlike, you know, ABORTION.

Apologies if sarcasm was intended, if so you should edit that in.

I consider the "My Body, My Choice" argument in favor of the pro-choice position to be the absolutely least-persuasive one possible.

The far superior argument involves the burden to society -- both economic and otherwise -- through the existence of children whose parents are either unable or unwilling to provide them with a nurturing environment.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I consider the "My Body, My Choice" argument in favor of the pro-choice position to be the absolutely least-persuasive one possible.

The far superior argument involves the burden to society -- both economic and otherwise -- through the existence of children whose parents are either unable or unwilling to provide them with a nurturing environment.

I wholeheartedly agree with the societal/economic impact being the better argument, but I felt like he was referencing the abortion argument in his post.