The US Army has selected the replacement for its Black Hawk helicopters...

...and it's a goddamned tilt-rotor.

860x394.png
WWW.DEFENSEONE.COM

Bell beat the Defiant-X pitched, a compound coaxial helicopter offered by a Sikorsky-Boeing team.

The U.S. Army has chosen Bell to build a new aircraft that will replace the venerable UH-60 Black Hawk, which has been flying soldiers in combat since the 1970s.

Bell received a $232 million contract on Monday—the first installment of what could be a $7.1 billion deal for development and an initial batch of aircraft.

“It’s a chance to move to the next step in this vital program,” Doug Bush, the Army acquisition chief, said during a Monday evening call with reporters.

It’s a huge win that could be worth more than $70 billion for the Textron-owned company in the coming decades depending on how many aircraft are ordered by the Army and foreign militaries. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

@Commissar SFLUFAN Was it you that said your father would never get in a helicopter despite being a pilot himself? Did he have a take on tilt copters?

That's exactly right!  He ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to set foot in a helicopter!

I don't think he had a perspective on tilt-rotors though he probably would've had slightly less reservations about them.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly right!  He ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to set foot in a helicopter!

I don't think he had a perspective on tilt-rotors though he probably would've had slightly less reservations about them.

Interesting, as someone not familiar with aviation, I'd have assumed another failure point would have made them a more dubious prospect. Does the tilt negate some of the risk of a fixed point rotor?

4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

They're more complicated than conventional helicopters. And the V-22 has had a bad rap due to accidents. 

Gotcha. On a lighter note, I watch my son play Battlefield sometimes and he likes to fly the osprey looking aircraft. He always transitions too low and ends up belly flopping into the ground with it.

As much as I want to shit on this, Sikorsky (aka fucking Boeing) really fucked by not being able to deliver on their design. 

17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WHY IS THIS THING SO GODDAMNED BIG?!?

It's 2/3 the size of the V-22.

It actually isn't that much bigger than a Black Hawk, and Bell claims they can operate off a Destroyer. 

spacer.png

One of the things I've seen as a criticism of this (and the V-22) is that you can't fast-rope or use a dropping basket off a winch. 

Those are pretty important for some combat and search and rescue operations. The V-280 is basically designed to be the best in an environment like the west-Pacific through the First Island Chain. Being able to operate over long distances, very quickly, and being able to land in a prepared area. That's what drove this design. 

My guess is these become maintenance hogs and the Army realize they're too expensive to replace the UH-60 one-for-one. I reckon the UH-60 will be piecemeal upgraded to remain in service for a very long time.