Official World Cup 2022 thread cuz someone has to make it.

Zaku3

I'll fall on my sword and do this. Latest news is beer is banned in stadiums. I'm loling because FIFA fought Brazil tooth and nail over that exact same issue. 

I kinda don't want to watch this but considering this could be my last world cup I guess I don't have a choice. 

I wonder how much Qatar paid for this to get FIFA to be okay with no beer at the stadiums, LGBTQ+ discrimination, slave labor, and I am probably missing stuff. 

When sportswashing goes wrong.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hugs 2

gettyimages-1441467451_wide-ba586781e073
WWW.NPR.ORG

Football, aka soccer, is life. At least, it is for many people across the globe. There are few things that are universally beloved but this sport comes close. And as teams on nearly every continent prepare for the...

I thought this episode of Throughline posed some thought provoking points about how it is the worst sort of “sportswashing” when brown people do it, but just business as usual when white dominated countries did it for decades.

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

106328258-1578571799463gettyimages-11584
WWW.CNBC.COM

The conservative, gas-rich Muslim nation does not fully ban alcohol for visitors, but its sale and consumption is strictly controlled.

Qatar is banning all beer sales at and around its World Cup stadiums, in a dramatic U-turn just two days before the massive soccer tournament begins, world soccer governing body FIFA confirmed on Friday.

“Following discussions between host country authorities and FIFA, a decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan Festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar’s FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters,” a statement from FIFA said.

The conservative, gas-rich Muslim nation does not fully ban alcohol for visitors, but its sale and consumption is strictly controlled. Alcohol is typically only allowed in a handful of specifically licensed hotels and restaurants and away from street view.

Budweiser’s nonalcoholic beer, Bud Zero, will continue to be sold at all eight of the country’s World Cup stadiums, the statement said. Alcoholic beer will still be available at specifically permitted fan zones in Qatar after 6:30 p.m., and intoxicated fans will be sent to special zones to sober up.

Forcing English fans to watch their matches totally sober is going to be bloody hilarious! :rofl:

• Sicko 1

22 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Can’t wait to watch McKennie and Aaronson run ripshit all over those bloody redcoats. 

And Tyler Adams

GettyImages-1388594162.32e45ee3.jpeg?cro
WWW.BARSTOOLSPORTS.COM

I know what you might be thinking. What else could happen before the World Cup even starts to show how much of a shit show this is? Well here you go. 20,000(ish) people have liked that tweet accusing ...

The WC has been my favorite sporting event since '94. But this year it really feels like when you learn Santa Clause was all a ruse. It's even killed my enthusiasm for 2026 (and for other reasons). 

5 minutes ago, Comet said:

And Tyler Adams

WWW.BARSTOOLSPORTS.COM

I know what you might be thinking. What else could happen before the World Cup even starts to show how much of a shit show this is? Well here you go. 20,000(ish) people have liked that tweet accusing ...

The WC has been my favorite sporting event since '94. But this year it really feels like when you learn Santa Clause was all a ruse. It's even killed my enthusiasm for 2026 (and for other reasons). 

I think it would be more accurate to say he’ll be covering their asses while those two run ripshit. :p

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

106328258-1578571799463gettyimages-11584
WWW.CNBC.COM

The conservative, gas-rich Muslim nation does not fully ban alcohol for visitors, but its sale and consumption is strictly controlled.

Forcing English fans to watch their matches totally sober is going to be bloody hilarious! :rofl:

Qatar state sponsors of torture.

The whole process has been a shitshow… keep waiting for something worse to happen… I hate that countries and players didnt take a stand as soon as this mess started… sure fight the Superleague but not this crap…. the way Fifa has bent over backwards to accommodate Qatar is so blatant…

This better had be an amazing cup if it hopes to overshadow all the crap around it but by this point I doubt anything will

1 hour ago, Comet said:

And Tyler Adams

WWW.BARSTOOLSPORTS.COM

Part of the reason why I support the women's game which I've been a fan of since '99. Sure it's slower and there's a ton more turnovers but there's like 90% less diving, unless you're watching Brazil. There's less hooliganism in the fanbases. There seems to be a general stand for equality for race, gender, ethnicity, etc. The competition will be at its highest in 2023 as USA likely won't be the favorites despite winning the last two.

I like the womens tournament as well.. but the US is headed in the wrong direction…  the gap with the rest of the world was closed quickly and the managers have been bad about knowing when to cut lose from the old guard…. Rodmans daughter has been impressive.. the roster for the womens world cup will be a big determining factor of their success..

the men are actually halfway working through an 8 year trajectory to hosting… I doubt we win in 2026, but Semi-finalist at “home” should be a fair expectation… too bad our federation is crap

2 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I like the womens tournament as well.. but the US is headed in the wrong direction…  the gap with the rest of the world was closed quickly and the managers have been bad about knowing when to cut lose from the old guard…. Rodmans daughter has been impressive.. the roster for the womens world cup will be a big determining factor of their success..

the men are actually halfway working through an 8 year trajectory to hosting… I doubt we win in 2026, but Semi-finalist at “home” should be a fair expectation… too bad our federation is crap

Semifinalist would be a fair expectation? The men are still leagues behind the rest of the world and having a few players sprinkled in the EPL, La Liga or the Bundesliga isn’t what makes a strong side. There’s no team identity, there’s no American system of football, no style. It’s literally brute forcing your way past the opposition and hoping to rise to the occasion. Home advantage isn’t going to magically change anything for the team. To me getting past the round of 16 would be the goal for 2026, anything more is pure luxury to appreciate. 

As for the women, it’s simple - the rest of Europe have leveraged their well funded clubs to start building femenino sides and academies. What set American women apart before was the depth of soccer training at the youth levels and later college level. The rest of the world didn’t have anything like that in the past. However, Europe has now leapfrogged this setup completely by having their big men’s clubs bank roll some really impressive developmental academies and professional teams for women. To me, the age of American women hegemony is long gone, sadly. USWNT should compete here and there, but their favored status will continue to be eroded and in the future we may have to depend on our women going to Europe to train to have a chance to stay towards the top. 

33 minutes ago, Comet said:

Semifinalist would be a fair expectation? The men are still leagues behind the rest of the world and having a few players sprinkled in the EPL, La Liga or the Bundesliga isn’t what makes a strong side. There’s no team identity, there’s no American system of football, no style. It’s literally brute forcing your way past the opposition and hoping to rise to the occasion. Home advantage isn’t going to magically change anything for the team. To me getting past the round of 16 would be the goal for 2026, anything more is pure luxury to appreciate. 

As for the women, it’s simple - the rest of Europe have leveraged their well funded clubs to start building femenino sides and academies. What set American women apart before was the depth of soccer training at the youth levels and later college level. The rest of the world didn’t have anything like that in the past. However, Europe has now leapfrogged this setup completely by having their big men’s clubs bank roll some really impressive developmental academies and professional teams for women. To me, the age of American women hegemony is long gone, sadly. USWNT should compete here and there, but their favored status will continue to be eroded and in the future we may have to depend on our women going to Europe to train to have a chance to stay towards the top. 

USMNT looked really bad in their friendlies vs Japan and Saudi Arabia. I honestly don't see us getting out the group this year. 4 years from now, I'd say 1 KO-stage win would be a success..

Everything you said about the Euro clubs taking charge was spot on. USWNT have a weakness a midfield and some key players out, namely Julie Ertz. She's a world class 6 (defensive mid) who's been injured/maternity leave since the Olympics last year. AFAIK she hasn't played at all in 2022. Her status for next year is unknown but the only games they played well in during the Olympics were the ones she played in while hurt. They're still running a 4-3-3 w/o her and they've been pretty exposed by top tier teams up until their last game. Them not changing tactics leads me to believe that she's coming back or Vlatko is just incompetent. Ertz's replacement has not looked good until the last game when it was noted that Horan (our box-to-box mid) finally actually started playing like one and helped out defensively. I give her shit but also know she's clearly playing hurt. Horan is one of the few who play outside the US for Champion's League winners Lyon. She plays the same 8 position but is covered by another world class 6 in Amandine Henry.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Comet said:

Yeah, a fair expectation if the federation got its head out of its ass… We used to play above expectations with less technical talent and with a fortunate draw got up to the Quarterfinals in 2002. As hosts in ‘94 we overachieved and gave the eventual champs the hardest match (though to be fair the ‘94 squad had very unique conditions).. all the same the player pool has gotten better as has our developmental pipeline… Just as long as we get a coach who can properly leverage the talent (Greg is not it)

Now as far as 2026 the expanded field will mean more teams but even then as one of the hosts the draw will still be more favorable as far as avoiding high ranking teams .. Again if the federation stops messing  around we have potential to do well… US is weird in the tournament, as stupid as Klinsman was in ‘14 we were still a Wondo miss from forcing Belgium to penalties and getting to quarterfinals again..

The Womens team yeah the gap has been closed… whereas individually the US could beat teams before now it will take proper game plans and technical execution to stay on top… Not sure how long their high standing will last, it will be interesting to watch.. being within the top 10 teams for a while longer is likely sustainable but not for long

• True 1

7 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Yeah, a fair expectation if the federation got its head out of its ass… We used to play above expectations with less technical talent and with a fortunate draw got up to the Quarterfinals in 2002. As hosts in ‘94 we overachieved and gave the eventual champs the hardest match (though to be fair the ‘94 squad had very unique conditions).. all the same the player pool has gotten better as has our developmental pipeline… Just as long as we get a coach who can properly leverage the talent (Greg is not it)

Now as far as 2026 the expanded field will mean more teams but even then as one of the hosts the draw will still be more favorable as far as avoiding high ranking teams .. Again if the federation stops messing  around we have potential to do well… US is weird in the tournament, as stupid as Klinsman was in ‘14 we were still a Wondo miss from forcing Belgium to penalties and getting to quarterfinals again..

The Womens team yeah the gap has been closed… whereas individually the US could beat teams before now it will take proper game plans and technical execution to stay on top… Not sure how long their high standing will last, it will be interesting to watch.. being within the top 10 teams for a while longer is likely sustainable but not for long

Maybe I’m just a pessimist but all of those examples of the USMNT having good results in the past are examples of them really rising to the occasion. That seems harder to do when you aren’t underdogs and when you have names like Pulisic, Weston, Dest, Reyna, Musah, etc. - the pressure is on unlike any other previous US team has ever had. So this is where having an actual thought out system and identity matter. Follow the plans instead of depending on individual brilliance and inspirational play (US 2-0 over Spain for example). But there aren’t any plans for this team because there’s no semblance of a team. Berehalter fucked with the line up so many times that there’s no sense of chemistry built let alone an actual system to carry out. So frustrating. 

the good news here is that England and Wales have both been in just as shambolic of a form as the US! The bad news is they’re all capable of beating the US even on their off night and Iranian players are going to be motivated like crazy to perform with the turmoil back home (and they’re still a FIFA top 20 ranked team too). It’s gonna be hard

9 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

what am I missing? 

I more then likely have cancer. Some type of lymphomia. I have awoken this morning to the lymph node on my collarbone being bigger then any grape I have seen thus far. My biopsy is Dec 5th. 

BRB gonna look up electron microscopes on amazon. 

• Hugs 13

2 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

I more then likely have cancer. Some type of lymphomia. I have awoken this morning to the lymph node on my collarbone being bigger then any grape I have seen thus far. My biopsy is Dec 5th. 

Stanford and UCSF are both amazing when it comes to oncology my friend. Please consider them moving forward, I’ve seen legit miracles performed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

And if you need any help or anything at all, let us all know. ♥️