Official World Cup 2022 thread cuz someone has to make it.

Zaku3

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Over the last 100 years, the US went from greatly favoring baseball to greatly favoring football, almost exactly 50 years of dominance for each in the last 100 years. I don’t think there is anyway to know how entertainment tastes will change over long time periods.

You can even look at a sport like golf that changed on a dime in both the types of athletes it attracted, the viewership it gained, and the dollars that have flowed in by literally just one transformative player (Tiger, of course).

The only thing we can probably be sure of is that tastes will change again. You also don’t need the sport to be in the dominant position to get the elite of elite athletes to choose it. You really just need the MLS to continue its growth trajectory for another 30 years or so. 

The future of American sports has been decided. It will be pickle ball and cornhole

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Over the last 100 years, the US went from greatly favoring baseball to greatly favoring football, almost exactly 50 years of dominance for each in the last 100 years. I don’t think there is anyway to know how entertainment tastes will change over long time periods.

You can even look at a sport like golf that changed on a dime in both the types of athletes it attracted, the viewership it gained, and the dollars that have flowed in by literally just one transformative player (Tiger, of course).

The only thing we can probably be sure of is that tastes will change again. You also don’t need the sport to be in the dominant position to get the elite of elite athletes to choose it. You really just need the MLS to continue its growth trajectory for another 30 years or so. 

And in the last 30 years hockey went from niche to mainstream and it still barely attracts our top tier athletes, Matthews being the exception, and it remains a distant fourth. Maybe in a few generations footie will be niche like Hockey, but overtaking the other shot sports, I don’t see it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

And in the last 30 years hockey went from niche to mainstream and it still barely attracts our top tier athletes, Matthews being the exception, and it remains a distant fourth. Maybe in a few generations footie will be niche like Hockey, but overtaking the other shot sports, I don’t see it.

The US is actually competitive in hockey at the global stage, which is entirely the point I’m making! If the MLS growth trends hold up over the next three decades, it’s a league on the level of something like the NHL which allows for many more elite level athletes to see soccer as a viable path in their athletic pursuits, and that fundamentally changes the base level expectation for the USMNT.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The US is actually competitive in hockey at the global stage, which is entirely the point I’m making! If the MLS growth trends hold up over the next three decades, it’s a league on the level of something like the NHL which allows for many more elite level athletes to see soccer as a viable path in their athletic pursuits, and that fundamentally changes the base level expectation for the USMNT.

We’re still a generation away at best from being at Canada’s level, our junior program is competitive finally and we have a top tier program, as in we can beat them, but it’s still not there. remember I played junior hockey and love the sport! But I can admit it’s still a very distant fourth, the Lamar Jackson’s of the US aren’t lining up to play hockey, Austin Matthews is the only exception to this rule.

our footie program can barely beat Trinidad, sorry Wade, that’s gonna take more than a generation to solve. And again, I like the sport! I want us to compete, I just don’t see it happening anytime soon. I’d be willing to bet Moto gp is more popular.

13 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

We’re still a generation away at best from being at Canada’s level, our junior program is competitive finally and we have a top tier program, as in we can beat them, but it’s still not there. remember I played junior hockey and love the sport! But I can admit it’s still a very distant fourth, the Lamar Jackson’s of the US aren’t lining up to play hockey, Austin Matthews is the only exception to this rule.

our footie program can barely beat Trinidad, sorry Wade, that’s gonna take more than a generation to solve. And again, I like the sport! I want us to compete, I just don’t see it happening anytime soon. I’d be willing to bet Moto gp is more popular.

I really don’t think we are disagreeing, you’re describing exactly what I’m saying I want for the US. US men’s hockey is routinely one of the top 6 ranked in the world. The US men’s soccer team, despite playing in the very weak CONCACAF, is virtually never better than around #15 and often outside the top 20.

The growth trend of MLS bodes very well for the prospects of the US improving drastically over the next 30 years.

Think there are two topics being discussed. Will soccer become a top 2 or 3 sport in America? Probably not unless MLS becomes a league that attracts the best talent.

Will US soccer be able to compete for WCs due to MLS growing and the developing pipeline between US and Europe? Probably not until soccer becomes less of a money sport in America. I know MLS are investing in more youth teams but to become part of those teams you still need money and parents that can handle the transportation aspect. The team still comprises of a lot players from outside America (Germany, Mexico, etc). 

I read that MLS runs under a cap of $4.9M per team where no player can make more than $612K. The highest paid soccer player in the world makes over 14 times an MLS team's cap. MLS won't be attracting the best players anytime soon. I'm guessing it was the sponsors that attracted guys like Beckham, Henry, and Bale to MLS during the tail-end of their careers.

44 minutes ago, 69los said:

I read that MLS runs under a cap of $4.9M per team where no player can make more than $612K. The highest paid soccer player in the world makes over 14 times an MLS team's cap. MLS won't be attracting the best players anytime soon. I'm guessing it was the sponsors that attracted guys like Beckham, Henry, and Bale to MLS during the tail-end of their careers.

Player salary is largely a function of TV dollars, and the direction of the TV con reacts has been solid growth from around 15 million annually the 4th season of existence to 250+ starting this coming season with the Apple TV+ deal they signed. I think there is a good chance that MLS could be in the billion a year range for TV contract in 2034 when they make their next deal. That is 10x what the TV rights were this last decade.

That is when American kids will take notice. MLS doesn’t need to be EPL to fundamentally change how America operates in world soccer tournaments. That’s a major misunderstanding people seem to have.

6 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I certainly hope the greatest US athletes stick to the entertaining sports. 

Soccer is immensely entertaining and I'm not joking even a little bit when I say the difference is at least 85% announcing.

I've found that anyone can get into nearly any sport but you need to find the vibe and pace of the entertainment. Baseball and soccer are similar in their pacing; good chunks of slow paced movement punctuated by high drama.

Thing is that Americans had that pacing and moved to American football and basketball. It seems American viewership really prefers that regularity to their pace of play. Or they watch NASCAR.

Your basic hack for getting in to soccer is to focus on drinking until someone gets close to the goal, then start screaming randomly.

43 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Less than an hour until England/Iran I think it'll go 2:1

I am betting on England getting the W and under 2.5 goals. I recall Iran being gokd defensively and I think the protests will motivate them to show up but England should have enough quality to eck out a W. I could also see it end as a draw. A smash and grab for Iran is possible but lower then the other outcomes.

• True 1

I will say one of the more under appreciated aspects of soccer is the fact its length is largely consistent. To watch a game, you are looking at a 2hr commitment (45 min halves, 15 mim halftime, and 15 min extra time/stoppage). Where sports are taking longer than ever to watch, I am pleased that the runtime has remain steady for soccer. I can give my wife a reasonable time when the game will end and we can plan to do something.  

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Oh has FIFA's medical sponsor changed from powerade to smart water?

Both coca cola brands but as a diabetic i appreaciate the change. Though I imagine for an actual pro atheltic the benefits of Powerade might help more then water. Also I'm in full teaboo mode. Having english breakfast tea. (Black tea is supposedly good for blood sugar) had my coffee and the bus is well and truly parked. 

Also fuck Carlos Quieroz (Iran's manager) Colombia isn't here because he got found out in CONMEBOL qualification.

Hope the keeper is okay.

• Confused 1
  • Halal 1

_127700212_harrykaneofenglandwearingaone
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

England, Wales and other European nations will not wear the OneLove armband at the World Cup in Qatar because of the threat of players being booked.

"Fifa has been very clear that it will impose sporting sanctions if our captains wear the armbands on the field of play," the statement added. "We were prepared to pay fines that would normally apply to breaches of kit regulations and had a strong commitment to wearing the armband. "However, we cannot put our players in the situation where they might be booked or even forced to leave the field of play."

Get fucked FIFA. So glad I don't follow this sport.

• Guillotine 1