Official World Cup 2022 thread cuz someone has to make it.

Zaku3

18 minutes ago, Comet said:

I can't wait for the USMNT to move on passed having to use MLS defenders. Zimmerman, just ruined the game. Also, the fuck is Berhalter smoking? Jordan Morris over Gio Reyna???! You have a generational talent there and you put in Morris? JFC. 

The only explanation is Gio is a little nicked and needs time to feature on Friday. Nothing else would be acceptable. 

24 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The only explanation is Gio is a little nicked and needs time to feature on Friday. Nothing else would be acceptable. 

Wrote his lineup card in ink, not pencil. Whoopsie, too late!

48 minutes ago, Brian said:

This is a thread where you can enjoy a sport once every 4 years soaked in national pride and a ton of heartache. If people can fucking muster excitement for curling in the Olympics than I can’t imagine people can’t find enjoyment in watching soccer at this event. Join us bud. Maybe you can forget your constant dread about life for a little bit. 
Team Usa Football GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

Dude, I'm a Philadelphia sports fan.  I deal with enough heartache, thank you.

59 minutes ago, Brian said:

This is a thread where you can enjoy a sport once every 4 years soaked in national pride and a ton of heartache. If people can fucking muster excitement for curling in the Olympics than I can’t imagine people can’t find enjoyment in watching soccer at this event. Join us bud. Maybe you can forget your constant dread about life for a little bit. 
Team Usa Football GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

Can conform morale is excellent during soccer.

48 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I was thinking the same, but apparently Gregg confirmed in a post-game interview that he was fit? And he was warming up during the game as a potential sub. I don't know. I have to hope he was nicked, otherwise fire Gregg now. 

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The joke is good because it rings true. All I'm getting from this thread is that soccer isn't a good experience in person since there's no TV announcer. Or that if it is in person then you need to have a buzz which nobody at this World Cup can do.

I went to a couple FC Cincinnati games this year and my phone said the sound level was a mostly sustained 92 decibels for most of the game.  I wore hearing protection on the advice of people who'd gone before.

27 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I went to a couple FC Cincinnati games this year and my phone said the sound level was a mostly sustained 92 decibels for most of the game.  I wore hearing protection on the advice of people who'd gone before.

Oh I know they’re plenty loud. I’ve been to a handful of MLS matches myself. I was just editorializing all the excuses for why soccer is boring and how to properly enjoy it :P

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

How's Poland? I remember most of those Nordic nations being relatively solid. 

They sort of skidded into qualifications, but they have loads of individual talent with players in top sides like Juventus, Napoli, Barca, etc. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Comet said:

Funny how people keep commenting on Mexico's poor form. Literally most WC tournaments, Mexico goes into them with shit form and manage to pull something out of nothing. It's the Mexican way (as is the predictable round of 16 elimination). 

Mexicans showing up a little late and not quite prepared?

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon