Meta/Facebook planning to let go 15% of their employees through abuse of PIPs (12,000 people)

photo.jpg
ECONOMICTIMES.INDIATIMES.COM

The Facebook parents decision follows similar moves by other tech majors such as Apple, Microsoft and Google. “I had hoped the economy would have more clearly stabilised by now, but from what we're seeing it doesn't yet seem like it has, so we want to plan somewhat conservatively," Zuckerberg told employees during the weekly Q&A session.

A Business Insider report said that before a recent weekly Q&A session between the staff and chief executive officer Mark Zuckerberg, executives told directors across the company they should select at least 15% of their teams to be labelled as "needs support" in an internal review process.

"These 15% will likely be put on PIP (performance improvement plan) and be let go," the person wrote, prompting hundreds of comments from other Meta workers, who debated how many people would be sacked.

This selective restructuring hints at a possible layoff of about 15% of the workforce, or about 12,000 employees.

Meta has been hiring like crazy so I'm not surprised. My understanding is the entire management team is an issue. Zuck has certain ideas but no one has any vision beyond 6 months or 2 quarters, it's being run by people who are more operations centric and not development-project centric. My understanding is they also don't understand how "virtual worlds" are built, they think someone enters code into a box and a world appears. Hilarious. 

It just shows you how these tech firms just have a shit ton of money from investors to burn through and a lot of innovations are luck not driven through leadership after their initial product offering.

Also my understanding is none of the teams talk to each other or are working towards a common goal. Dozens of offices and thousands of people each working to localized ideas of what a metaverse is. 

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I still think it’s hilarious how an Apple privacy update basically killed FB

There is nothing Tim Cook has done at Apple that would have made Jobs more proud than that

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If not growth, then...what?

I honestly don't know at all.

Profit generation doesn’t require perpetual growth. Apple could shrink by 20% and still be wildly profitable every year for the foreseeable future.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Profit generation doesn’t require perpetual growth. Apple could shrink by 20% and still be wildly profitable every year for the foreseeable future.

At least Apple is mostly built on moving money directly from consumers' pockets and into their own. A little different when your bread and butter is the eyes and data of the users of your product and the people willing to pay you money for access to it all.

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

People think AI generation will replace artists and designers but the joke that I've heard is that it would require the C Suite to have good taste or know what a game is. 

Which, you know then they'd hire "experts" (social media celebs) and end up with the same issues FB has now. 

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Based Gaben agrees it's just another MMO. 

After I posted that comment I booted up my Quest 2 after not having messed with it in a couple months, I wanted to see if they'd done anything with Horizon Worlds, their one and only "metaverse" app.  The headset had an update, all of my games also had updates, after slogging through all that and rebooting the headset I had to link my old account with a new Meta account.  After wading through all that I loaded up Horizon Worlds and it kept giving me a connection error message that would immediately return when I acknowledge it and I had to use the Quest 2's menu to kill the app and get out.  That was my metaverse experience today.

6 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

After I posted that comment I booted up my Quest 2 after not having messed with it in a couple months, I wanted to see if they'd done anything with Horizon Worlds, their one and only "metaverse" app.  The headset had an update, all of my games also had updates, after slogging through all that and rebooting the headset I had to link my old account with a new Meta account.  After wading through all that I loaded up Horizon Worlds and it kept giving me a connection error message that would immediately return when I acknowledge it and I had to use the Quest 2's menu to kill the app and get out.  That was my metaverse experience today.

so an mmo on launch day/launch day for a new expansion :p

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, johnny said:

i don’t even know what the metaverse is 

A recruiter reached out to me about working there last year and he was all catchphrase word salads. I was like... But what does that even mean? They switched to saying I just didn't "get it." Which is like dude this isn't a high school clique you have to be able to describe your product. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

A recruiter reached out to me about working there last year and he was all catchphrase word salads. I was like... But what does that even mean? They switched to saying I just didn't "get it." Which is like dude this isn't a high school clique you have to be able to describe your product. 

This is exactly how companies try to defend nft’s too. They think they can condescend their way into having a viable product.

Metaverse is what happens when you create and focus on the buzzword before the product. They did a good job getting people who aren’t familiar with VR or gaming to talk about the term, but since there isn’t a compelling product attached (attached to the metaverse concept directly, quest itself is a solid product for things that are not that), it doesn’t have much momentum beyond that.

VR should be about exploring, adventure, learning, wild experiences you can have in your living room, that sort of thing. Not a late stage capitalism virtual hellscape. I really didn’t want the overall concept of VR to be tethered to it, so I’m glad it seems to be fizzling. 

• Halal 1

All metaverse nonsense just feels like billionaires stripping over themselves to put the cart before the horse.  Even if the general concept were to take off successfully, why would your average consumer want to put down serious coin on any sort of digital ownership before a somewhat clear victor has been declared?  They’re all trying to create some sort of gold rush for digital land, but any idiot can just create more digital land whenever they want.  

• Halal 2

52 minutes ago, stepee said:

VR should be about exploring, adventure, learning, wild experiences you can have in your living room, that sort of thing. Not a late stage capitalism virtual hellscape. I really didn’t want the overall concept of VR to be tethered to it, so I’m glad it seems to be fizzling. 

VR Chat is everything meta wanted the metaverse to be and more

On 10/6/2022 at 2:14 PM, marioandsonic said:

Is this contraction coming to the video game industry too?

Yes, but caused by recession, not slowed subscriber growth. 

Xbox might be best positioned for it with gamepass, as people pay 20$/ month instead of 70$ a game with less disposable income.

• 1 month later...