Rumor: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint - Update: Sony debunks rumor

Brian

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
psvr-2_N82EKCi.jpg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Sign up for the GI Daily here to get the biggest news straight to your inbox Sony has reportedly made a dramatic reduct…

Friendly reminder that cited source has been wrong before about the same topic:

ps5_group_twitter.jpg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Update: Sony has reached out to GamesIndustry.biz with the following statement denying the Bloomberg report:“Whil…

22 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Friendly reminder that cited source has been wrong before about the same topic:

ps5_group_twitter.jpg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Update: Sony has reached out to GamesIndustry.biz with the following statement denying the Bloomberg report:“Whil…

Bloomberg seems to be a solid source. 

Sony Group Corp. reduced projections for the initial launch of its PlayStation VR2 headset dramatically after early pre-orders disappointed, signaling little improvement for the hyped-but-unproven virtual reality sector.

The company halved its forecast for shipments of the PSVR2, which is set for a Feb. 22 release, this quarter to about a million units, said people familiar with its deliberations. Sony had previously aimed to have 2 million headsets ready for the launch quarter and leverage its second-generation headset to drive user growth and adoption for VR.

The Tokyo-based electronics giant has told a supply partner to expect reduced display panel orders, according to the people, who asked not to be named as the information is not public. The company now plans to ship around 1.5 million units between this April and March next year, they added, though that figure may be adjusted further in response to demand.

• Brian changed the title to Bloomberg reports Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint
4 minutes ago, Brian said:

Bloomberg seems to be a solid source. 

That's what I mean. GameBiz is citing Bloomberg in their article, and Bloomberg has been sketchy on these kinds of reports from the same company. Sony contacted GameBiz disputing the Bloomberg report for the PS5 as well. I'm not sure how good their report is.

• Halal 1

• Brian changed the title to Rumor: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint

All that said, I haven't pre-ordered it. I want to and I'm very excited about the impressions, but there are several big-item purchases we've had to buy and a big trip planned for February, so it'll have to wait a bit. Biggest thing for me would be playing RE8 via VR. And maybe if I wait a bit, they'll do crossbuy for Astro Bot and Blood & Truth.

Sony really needs PC support for this to expand their potential reach.  Beyond that, my thoughts on VR gaming haven't changed since the last thread:

On 11/2/2022 at 1:13 PM, crispy4000 said:

It wasn't too long ago that we were being sold 3D televisions with fancy viewing glasses.  The technology works.  No one gives a shit anymore.  We're past its moment.  VR can't fall into that trap if its going to stick around in a meaningful way.  Even motion controls only stayed mainstream in games for as long as they were fashionable.  (ie: When's the last time you swung around a joycon?)

I brought these up more to show how 'the future of' trends could prematurely die or morph into something less exciting.  They aren't directly relatable to VR in terms of user experience.  Different products.

If VR loses traction in the here in now, in its 2nd/3rd generation of consumer products, I think there's a much greater challenge for it to be enticing by the time headsets could be made more affordable.

It's one thing to shoehorn some gimmick into an existing thing.  The larger issue with VR at current is that it isn't a great fit for modern game design.  That could also be its strength, if enough killer apps stuck to what's good about VR interfaces versus what's not.  That's proved to be a tough nut to crack.

I don’t believe VR in the gaming space has convinced us yet, in its applications, that it’s something essential enough to have longevity.  At least not in the way it’s biggest proponents would want or may even expect.

It feels like we’ve been down this road before, and we’re due for a pullback.

Horizon would have to be something pretty crazy for me to pick it up, it’s seriously not even close for day1 for me, I already have most of the launch titles on Quest and that’s wireless. It’s seriously lacking in games that actually use ps5’s power at launch. 

Also the 7800x3d should come out around the same time and that’s where my mind is at!

I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up with one this year at some point, I want to play the new supernatural rail shooter, but that isn’t launch. 

But if they can’t get me to preorder a tech product even it’s not a good sign!

• Sicko 1

• Brian changed the title to Rumor: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint - Update: Sony debunks rumor
1 hour ago, stepee said:

Horizon would have to be something pretty crazy for me to pick it up, it’s seriously not even close for day1 for me, I already have most of the launch titles on Quest and that’s wireless. It’s seriously lacking in games that actually use ps5’s power at launch. 

Also the 7800x3d should come out around the same time and that’s where my mind is at!

I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up with one this year at some point, I want to play the new supernatural rail shooter, but that isn’t launch. 

But if they can’t get me to preorder a tech product even it’s not a good sign!

You have to buy it when Astro Bot 2 releases since I am buying you a copy

• Like 1

Changing your forecasts and changing your production are 2 separate things that can both be true.

I personally thought it would have a hard time moving simply due to the economic recessions we are seeing globally and it being a premium priced accessory.

Add to the fact that there's no BC, that a lot of people that dove in on PSVR may have second thoughts about making that investment again.

Still seems like a really solid product though that may sell due to some FOMO and word of mouth once it gets out though if some of the software delivers.

16 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Changing your forecasts and changing your production are 2 separate things that can both be true.

The original story was probably a leak by Sony themselves to drive pre-orders up. Make up a story about low preorder numbers and cutting output, then debunk it and say, "oh we are making plenty so be sure to preorder! *wink wink* "

• Shocked 1

21 hours ago, number305 said:

As others have said - I have a PC and would probably buy this if I could connect it.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't write a couple of drivers and release their software.  It would just be more hardware and software sales for them.

Odds are decent they’re selling this thing at a loss just like the PS5 itself, so why release tools up front so that for some sales you’ll never recoup the investment?

14 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Odds are decent they’re selling this thing at a loss just like the PS5 itself, so why release tools up front so that for some sales you’ll never recoup the investment?

More sales = more publishers interested in making games = more licensing fees = more recoup if they are selling at a loss.
They have no worthwhile way of discerning if the PSVR2 sold is being used on a PS5 or a PC. Also, there’s likely a not insignificant amount of people who will buy it (instead of skipping it or waiting for a major price break) if it can be used on both instead of it being locked to a single system. There’s exactly zero negative impact if they released PC software/drivers for this, as they did with the DualSense - and I’m by no means expecting it to happen despite wishing it would; if they do release PC drivers for it, they’ll gain at least one customer that’s likely going to skip it otherwise.