2022 Midterm Thread

From Mr. Elliot of WaPo:

here’s the big picture right now:
- turnout in blue counties is higher than turnout in red counties, relative to Nov
- votes in fully reporting counties are on average 1 pt more dem than in nov
- there are >200k more net Warnock votes outstanding in/around Atlanta

I don’t know why anybody had any worry about the outcome. Walker couldn’t win with the coattails of a very popular GOP Governor, he wasn’t going to win without that.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know why anybody had any worry about the outcome. Walker couldn’t win with the coattails of a very popular GOP Governor, he wasn’t going to win without that.

I wasn’t worried, but the outcome was uncertain even knowing what you just said. There are a lot of variables. 

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Not like it matters if the GOP house will do nothing except obsess over Hunter Biden dick pics or whatever 

There are lots of things the Senate does that is independent of the house, so it should matter to you as a Democratic voter. The House GOP also have the most tenuous of majorities, so plenty of chances to peel off a handful on topics with fairly broad public support.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I do wonder if Walker being black dissuaded some potential GOP voters from supporting him? By that I mean, if you had a GOP candidate that was just like Walker, but was white instead of black, would he have beaten Warnock? 

I wonder that also, probably. I guess we’ll see if plane whitebread candidate can beat Warnock in 6 years. 

621fc05b75b649001845bc15?width=1200&form
WWW.INSIDER.COM

On December 6, Herschel Walker and Raphael Warnock enter a runoff election for Georgia's Senate seat. Runoff elections are a byproduct of a decades-old law in the state.

“Runoff elections were the brainchild of Denmark Groover Jr., a vocal segregationist who wanted to split the Black vote.”

It seems obvious that Warnock had to run in 4 elections in 2 years is an artifact of Jimcrow attempting to maintain control. 

3 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

The issue for Republicans is that their primary voters are so monstrous that only the worst candidates can win, and general election voters don’t necessarily want to vote for someone so toxic. 

The question is can they shift from this? It seems like close elections encourage them to pursue their radical strategy harder in the next election. 

1 minute ago, outsida said:

The question is can they shift from this? It seems like close elections encourage them to pursue their radical strategy harder in the next election. 

Not until Republican voters end their collective mania. So long as they still believe that their opponents are all child-molesting demon worshippers who kidnap kids to harvest their precious body fluids, nothing will change. 

32 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I do wonder if Walker being black dissuaded some potential GOP voters from supporting him? By that I mean, if you had a GOP candidate that was just like Walker, but was white instead of black, would he have beaten Warnock? 

Perhaps, or maybe Walker is the manifestation of their caricature of a black man.

GettyImages-1239537466.jpg
WWW.THENATION.COM

Georgia Republicans have embraced Walker because they think any old Black person will do when it comes to their cynical strategy for defeating Raphael Warnock.

Herschel Walker, the football star turned Georgia Senate candidate, is an animated caricature of a Black person drawn by white conservatives. Walker is what they think of us, and they think we’re big, ignorant, and easily manipulated. They think we’re shady or criminal. They think we’re tools to be used. The Walker campaign exists as a political minstrel show: a splashy rendition of what white Republicans think Black people look and sound like.

Every time I watch one of these smug, jowly, dangerous Republicans sitting next to Herschel Walker, wheeling him out for their own designs, I see that dinner-table conversation in the background of my mind. Walker is a big, ball-carrying Black man, and these Republicans do not have an ounce of care for him. They are using him to advance their own Constitution-compromising agenda, the way conservative white people in this country have always used Black bodies when given half a chance.

Walker stands up at podiums, and I feel shame and sorrow and resentment. He is incoherent, bumbling, oily. He smiles with a swagger that does nothing to disguise his total ignorance of how blatantly he is being taken advantage of by a party that has never intended to serve people who look like him.