~*Rick and Morty*~ Season 7 trailer released, airs Oct 15th

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think the moment my brain says “this is different than Justin Roiland” I’ll just remember some of the creepy messages he sent to teenagers and my level of care will probably drop. We’ll see. 

If there was a benevolent god they'd pivot the series to a dimension where it's Ricki and Morticia voiced by Brie Larson and Lupita N'yongo and the fanbase will collapse to a white dwarf.

7 hours ago, Gavin King said:

I hope they do a better job that Solar Opposites, replacing Justin Roiland's voice. It's going to take some getting used to the change.

With Solar Opposites, I think they went with “way different” on purpose to make it some type of meta joke

On 8/16/2023 at 10:28 AM, Gavin King said:

For sure that's the joke. Totally fine with them replacing Roiland, it's for the best. Just admittedly a bit difficult to get used to it since they went soo different.

Looks like it’s been said that they’re using “soundalikes” for Rick & Morty according to IGN

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Haha right? I'm always watching the good era but any time I decide to give a new one a go the voice differences are so jarring.

Marge’s voice kills me, I know it’s the same VA but her voice is really starting to go. Hibbert is just flat out bad casting 

• True 1

Six was way better than five, that's for sure...

For me though, sadly... I feel like this show has a lot of its magic. I still watch it, but I almost feel like it's just spinning its wheels and keeps going back to the same story beats over and over.

I think a lot of the problem is that when it first launched it felt so fresh and different and subversive and now it just kinda feels played out. It doesn't help that a huge chunk of the fanbase is annoying as hell and it's overall mainstream success makes it feel less special and unique... which I know is more of a "me" problem, but whatever... it just doesn't feel the same anymore... and I considered myself a mega-fan in the first 3ish seasons.

2 minutes ago, ort said:

For me though, sadly... I feel like this show has lost most of its magic. I still watch it, but I almost feel like it's just spinning it's wheels and keeps going back to the same story beats over and over.

I think a lot of the problem is that when it first launched it felt so fresh and different and subversive and now it just kinda feels played out. It doesn't help that a huge chunk of the fanbase is annoying as hell and it's overall mainstream success makes it feel less special and unique... which I know is more of a "me" problem, but whatever... it's kinda played out... I guess is what I am saying... and I considered myself a mega-fan in the first 3ish seasons.

Probably also bears mentioning again that the writers' room after season 3 of Rick and Morty has changed considerably, and as the MCU continues to peel off Community/Rick & Morty writers to write their blockbuster films like Dr. Strange 2 and Loki, etc. they'll have to keep replacing writers in the writers' room and the dip is noticeable.

6 hours ago, ort said:

For me though, sadly... I feel like this show has a lot of its magic. I still watch it, but I almost feel like it's just spinning its wheels and keeps going back to the same story beats over and over.

I think a lot of the problem is that when it first launched it felt so fresh and different and subversive and now it just kinda feels played out. It doesn't help that a huge chunk of the fanbase is annoying as hell and it's overall mainstream success makes it feel less special and unique... which I know is more of a "me" problem, but whatever... it just doesn't feel the same anymore... and I considered myself a mega-fan in the first 3ish seasons.

I still maintain that the best episodes of the show are the one separate from “the narrative” and with R&M’s premise specifically, having a larger arc feels like wasted time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, legend said:

The voices are not bad!

I'm not sure I'd even realize those are different voice actors if I had no idea Roiland was no longer involved with the show. Most noticeable thing was Rick doing more of a lip fart noise than an actual belch while he's on the ground drinking.

• True 1

Hmmmm, yeah, they do sound good. I bet if I didn't know I wouldn't even notice, but there is a good chance it will be distracting because people will spend the whole time swearing they can hear a difference...

Roiland was a very good voice actor who put a lot of emotion and nuance into these roles... it's "easy" to just sound like them, but there is a lot more to it than that...

Rick felt closer than Morty did to me, but both sound great... in a trailer...

20 minutes ago, ort said:

Rick felt closer than Morty did to me, but both sound great... in a trailer...

Dang I thought Morty sounded closer. But either way I feel like those voices are 99% of the way there which is 19% better than the minimum I was hoping for so

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Oh hell yeah. I'm all in.

The Hollywood Reporter has a new profile on Harmon where he talks a bit about all the drama with Rick and Morty and Justin Roiland.

I honestly didn't follow much of the drama very closely, so I'm not sure what info is new and what isn't. Here's the quick version: After season 1 Harmon wanted to fill out the writer's room but Roiland felt that was taking the show away from him. There was a lot of tension and Harmon was working crazy hours, and it seems both were miserable. At some point in season 3 Roiland stopped showing up entirely, but they reconciled enough to land the 70 episode deal. Shortly after that in 2019 things fell apart again, and the two haven't talked since. Harmon hired "a real showrunner" and began to relax and not spend excessive time on the show. They make it seem like Roiland hasn't really been part of the show since then.

• Thanks 2

• GeneticBlueprint changed the title to ~*Rick and Morty*~ Season 7 trailer released, airs Oct 15th
6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The Hollywood Reporter has a new profile on Harmon where he talks a bit about all the drama with Rick and Morty and Justin Roiland.

I honestly didn't follow much of the drama very closely, so I'm not sure what info is new and what isn't. Here's the quick version: After season 1 Harmon wanted to fill out the writer's room but Roiland felt that was taking the show away from him. There was a lot of tension and Harmon was working crazy hours, and it seems both were miserable. At some point in season 3 Roiland stopped showing up entirely, but they reconciled enough to land the 70 episode deal. Shortly after that in 2019 things fell apart again, and the two haven't talked since. Harmon hired "a real showrunner" and began to relax and not spend excessive time on the show. They make it seem like Roiland hasn't really been part of the show since then.

I think it's not news that Roiland hasn't really been doing anything other than the voices for a long time now.