~*Rick and Morty*~ Season 7 trailer released, airs Oct 15th

First episode of season 7 aired last night - it was pretty good! First Hugh Jackman voices a character on Human Resources and now he voices a version of himself in this, he was great in both. Nice to see where a lot of Rick's "friends" are currently at in their lives with Gearhead, Squanchy, Mr. Poopybutthole and Birdperson (now with Birdaughter). I didn't even notice the new voices at all except Rick sounds nicer/less drunk. Hoping for a strong season given the last three seasons have had some really great episodes and then some bad . . . incest baby-type episodes. A strong start so here's hoping. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't even notice the new voices at all except Rick sounds nicer/less drunk.

I probably wouldn't have noticed at all if I hadn't known it was going to be new voice actors.

Also, fun little unintentional easter egg that you can tell that this was made before Jackman got divorced.

4 hours ago, legend said:

Anywhere to stream this without cable? Amazon has a stub for the page, but no episodes listed. I'd be willing to buy the season if they actually release the episodes there.

Answering my own question: it did eventually appear on Amazon tonight for purchase. (But I haven't watched yet)

Watched the Season opener, it was perfectly…OK. I laughed a few times but it never hit any particularly lofty heights.

Update: Watched episode 2, now that I enjoyed. It followed the path of an episode I prefer (an odd premise that allows a lot of freedom with how the story progresses).

On 10/24/2023 at 1:18 PM, SaysWho? said:

Second episode was weird.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:45 AM, gamer.tv said:

Update: Watched episode 2, now that I enjoyed. It followed the path of an episode I prefer (an odd premise that allows a lot of freedom with how the story progresses).

Interesting as I thought episode 2 was also weird and not very good vs. enjoying it (though it was a nice, odd premise). It wasn't that funny and while it wasn't bad it seemed to be going for more heart and drama than it was able to sell for me. Now last night's episode, episode 3 was really good. Bringing Unity back was smart and making the episode about where their relationship is today and bringing in the therapist sold the heart and drama much better than Rick connecting with Jerry in episode 2. When Rick is listening to the voicemails and hearing how nice and caring she sounds vs. how his vitriolic responses to her throughout the episode leave her angry instead at the end was really well done - Rick fucked up and lost having her as at least a friend again.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

“Why couldn’t it just be spaghetti?!?!?”

That got a laugh out of me, though overall this was a very weird episode. It was too tonally all over the place for me to really get into a groove with it. I saw the different points it was trying to make but suicide = food is just weird to me. I get the Soylent Green reference as well as them pointing out the issues with mass food production and consumption but not a lot of laughs - solid montage for the one spaghetti guy at the end though. The post credits scene of trees and vacuum cleaners was a definite WTF. 

Yesterday's episode was really good! The writing was tight and evil Morty's sarcastic remarks really brought some good laughs and we finally resolved the evil Rick plotline while getting more on what evil Morty has been up to. Using a Mazzy Star song again, calling back to one of Rick and Morty's best episodes ever (from season 1) was a ballsy choice, but I think it mostly worked since this time it was flipped and it was Rick going through it rather than Morty. Even the post credits scene with Slow Mobius' wife was great.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

That was one weird episode last night and not all that funny either - reminded me of episodes 2 and 4 from this season. Just weird for weirdness's sake.

I liked it, but this is funny: my gf said it was really weird, and I asked what made it weirder than other episodes since the whole series is weird. She couldn't really explain.

But I guess she represents a bunch of others!

Just now, SaysWho? said:

I liked it, but this is funny: my gf said it was really weird, and I asked what made it weirder than other episodes since the whole series is weird. She couldn't really explain.

But I guess she represents a bunch of others!

Weird because there's nothing inherently funny or interesting about kautos. They just look gross. :p 

12 hours ago, Jason said:

meh

I actually thought it was pretty solid - not laugh out loud funny but a decent amount of good jokes sprinkled in there and I liked where the post-credits tease was going. It felt like it could have been better given the premise but this was above average for a Rick and Morty episode for me.

That was another solid, B-tier episode of Rick and Morty. Nothing great but fun. Episode felt a little thin, like taking different shorter sketches and combining them into one episode was a little jarring (Rick and Morty attempt to harness an infinite energy source, Bigfoot escapes and hunts a clone Rick with no brain; then a complete pivot to the Pope combining the A and B plots). Weird for the penultimate episode of the season, but I imagine with the show having closed out the Rick Prime plot and put to bed a lot of the evil Morty stuff as well as revisiting a lot of the supporting characters in the first episode that the show, with a 70-episode order to fulfill, is trying to become as episodic as it can possibly make itself which would explain the very episodic nature of this season.

That was a really strong season finale - the Hole is a great idea for an episode of Rick and Morty. Throwing Diane in there also helped. Also something dark is happening in the Mr. Poopybutthole plot. I do like episodes where Rick and Morty call out every version of the horror premise to dispel them only for the loop to drive them crazy anyway. On to season 8.

I really enjoyed the finale. The ending of it reminded me of the ending in the last episode in the sense that it 

Spoiler

kept looping.

And as the writers said, they straight-up have the characters mention that they may still 

Spoiler

be in the hole

so viewers wouldn't be a step ahead of the episode.

Good stuff. Overall an enjoyable season with 3 or 4 episodes that I felt really gelled more than others.

• Halal 2