~*Rick and Morty*~ Season 7 trailer released, airs Oct 15th

On 10/17/2022 at 10:43 AM, stepee said:

So can you just download the adult swim app and watch the entire season so far? I haven’t caught this yet because it’s not on Hulu.

I think you normally need a cable sub unless the episode shows as it's unlocked.

• 1 month later...
Spoiler

“He Baned me!”

”Was that not there before? That must be a Connie Tinuity error!”

:lol:

Also, I enjoyed the intro.

Spoiler

I am so used to scenes from the intro being used in a future episode, but when they got to the Sherlock Holmes one, I thought I don’t remember that being an episode, and as soon as I finished my thought, Rick goes wait, this happened too?

• Haha 2

Last Sunday's episode was actually another pretty funny one after a slow start. I get the sense most people aren't even watching anymore after the weaker seasons 4+5, but I think the show is still pretty great, it just needs to drop the potty humor and incest shit. Rick and Morty's take on therapy in relation to Rick remains excellent dramatic material worth continuing to mine.

The show's still funny and I like it a lot. Its cultural impact peaking at the show's most solipsistic is kind of unfortunate in hindsight. :p  I still don't know how I feel about the show trying to have any kind of long term continuity. Looking back I don't know that the "evil Morty" storyline was interesting at all; I certainly don't think the fan theory juice that came from it was worth the squeeze... but whatever.

Rick being compelled to show Pissmasster's suicide note to Morty and not his therapist was probably the best part of the most recent episode.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The show's still funny and I like it a lot. Its cultural impact peaking at the show's most solipsistic is kind of unfortunate in hindsight. :p  I still don't know how I feel about the show trying to have any kind of long term continuity. Looking back I don't know that the "evil Morty" storyline was interesting at all; I certainly don't think the fan theory juice that came from it was worth the squeeze... but whatever.

Rick being compelled to show Pissmasster's suicide note to Morty and not his therapist was probably the best part of the most recent episode.

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of this. This season, especially with the meta episode, clearly shows the show doesn't care about continuity like earlier seasons implied. There remains a vague continuity but the show only clearly cares about it so much. It's not a surprise the show dipped a bit after season 3 - a whole new writers' room and after season 3 is when the show received a 70-episode order by Adult Swim - if you have to come up with that many episodes over time, you're bound to create a few stinkers just to fill the schedule, hence the step down (but still very good!) seasons 4+5 (and now 6, which I think has been pretty solid so far).

I will say this season Rick has been slowly killing "aspects" or "parts" of Morty (especially in the early episodes this season) and I'm wondering if that'll be something that comes up long term.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I wasn’t aware the popularity took a dip. But I don’t pay attention. :p 

I enjoyed this week’s.

Well, it certainly took a dip on this board is what I mean, not in general. We have a lot less users than we've ever had, but I remember back during the first three seasons this board lit up with the Rick and Morty thread. Since then, not really so much, it's only like 3-4 of us discussing it here.

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, it certainly took a dip on this board is what I mean, not in general. We have a lot less users than we've ever had, but I remember back during the first three seasons this board lit up with the Rick and Morty thread. Since then, not really so much, it's only like 3-4 of us discussing it here.

or maybe others are like me are too lazy to stream it without it being on hulu :P

I watched the series for the first time a few months back and have watched through it several times now while playing games because it’s great for that and there’s still little gags I’ll catch. But shield doesn’t seem to have an adult swim app and I haven’t bothered to do something else!

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also I noticed the dip in quality from S1-3 to S4-5 when I first watched it, but the more I watch through them all in order the less it stands out to me and the more I just like most of it.

Yeah - seasons 4 and 5 have a lot of winners, it's just finally they aren't all near perfection (and seasons 1-3 had weak episodes). It's just the entire changing of the writers' room has given the show a somewhat different feel that I think is throwing people off but the show is gonna be a long one now so they have to make a structure now to the show that works long term so that means a lot of random ass do nothing episodes from time to time.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah - seasons 4 and 5 have a lot of winners, it's just finally they aren't all near perfection (and seasons 1-3 had weak episodes). It's just the entire changing of the writers' room has given the show a somewhat different feel that I think is throwing people off but the show is gonna be a long one now so they have to make a structure now to the show that works long term so that means a lot of random ass do nothing episodes from time to time.

Yeah like I saw Vat of Acid again last night from S4 and it’s actually sooooo good

• Like 1
  • True 1

7 hours ago, Nokra said:

I'm also on the "screw Hulu" train so I just wait for it to be out on Blu-ray and then binge them. I'll be coming back to this thread someday. :p

I sail the high seas and don’t feel guilty about breathing in the fresh saltwater air because I’ve purchased every blu ray and will continue to do so. 

• True 1

I thought last night was a pretty good episode with a great call back. Like I said earlier, this year seems to be geared as individual therapy sessions for everyone. First episode showing how “split apart” everyone is. You had Summer with Night Summer, Beth and her “clone”, Jerry and his mom, Morty/Rick trying to make him whole again, Jerry again over his lack of recognition over his book and now we seem to be focused on Rick. Should be interesting to see how this all goes down by the end of this season. 

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

This week's episode was weird in all the right ways for me. Did they get new writers? The consistency this season has been great.

Probably new writers, as most are writing Marvel flicks now. Plus I guess being able to all stay in a writers room helps after 2 years of Covid protocols 

On 12/6/2022 at 8:17 AM, SaysWho? said:

This week's episode was weird in all the right ways for me. Did they get new writers? The consistency this season has been great.

The writers' room changed almost completely between seasons 3 and 4, but since then it's been pretty consistent. Seasons 4, 5, and now 6 have all had writers Albro Lundy, Anne Lane, and James Siciliano. Season 5 added and now 6 has kept writers Rob Schrab, Nick Rutherford and Scott Marder (who has also written 28 episodes of It's Always Sunny). The only new writers not part of seasons 4 and/or 5 are just two additions, writers Alex Rubens (credited with writing episodes 2 and 7 this season) and Heather Anne Campbell (credited with writing episode 5). 

Basically the writers have been mostly the same since season 4, particularly seasons 5 and 6. Jeff Loveness was a key writer for seasons 4 and 5 but left before season 6 to go write Ant-Man 3 and Avengers: Kang Dynasty like Michael Waldron with Loki and Doctor Strange 2 before him. Perhaps they've found their footing, I have found this season to be more consistent. I finally caught up and watched the last two episodes and I really enjoyed a lot of both of them. There aren't the laughs every second that the show used to provide (a lot of dead air with all the lightsaber stuff with the president in the season finale) but for the most part the therapy exploration, etc. has been good stuff, I look forward to season 7. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was a great solid. I now must wait for season 7. Oh this reminds me. I was feeling nostalgic since I still don't have an answer for this mass on my collarbone. Was really nice watching Adult swim again. One observation I think American Dad is better then Family Guy now.

• True 1

16 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Was a great solid. I now must wait for season 7. Oh this reminds me. I was feeling nostalgic since I still don't have an answer for this mass on my collarbone. Was really nice watching Adult swim again. One observation I think American Dad is better then Family Guy now.

One explanation I'd heard (though I never actually verified, attempting now) was that Seth MacFarlane has almost no hand in Family Guy anymore and just leaves it up to others to do the writing and he just comes in and does the voices.