Update: Amazon picks up animated Matt Reeves/Bruce Timm "Batman: Caped Crusader" series after being dropped by HBO Max

There were some comments here that quality didn't factor in...  This article says otherwise.  

batgirl-movie-DC.gif?w=1024
NYPOST.COM

The new DC Comics film “Batgirl,” which still has no release date, will be completely “shelved” by Warner Bros., a top Hollywood source told The Post. 

From the article:  

The reportedly $70 million movie (the source said the budget was actually more than $100 million), which was doing test screenings for audiences in anticipation of a late 2022 debut, would rank among the most expensive cinematic castoffs ever.  

Those tests were said to be so poorly received by moviegoers that the studio decided to cut its losses and run, for the sake of the brand’s future. It’s a DC disaster.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

True enough. Still feels like the notion that audiences hate the movie starring black actress is awfully convenient.

Also directed by "Arabs"... and this notion of it being "irredeemably bad" is coming from the NY Post of all places. Might as well be coming from Fox News. Even with it being as bad as they say it is, it would STILL be released on Streaming like New Mutants eventually was. And if it cost 100 million like the article said, then it would make sense for it be released in SOME form.  Also expect more articles like THIS:

the-flash-batgirl.png
WEGOTTHISCOVERED.COM

Let's discuss how absolutely and monstrously wrong this is …

• True 4
  • Halal 1

Yeah I'm also not buying that the movie is so bad it's unworthy of release. Directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, Belgian born and raised, first generation Muslim Arabs from Belgium did the excellent films Black and Gangsta, which got them hired to do Bad Boys 3, which was actually surprisingly very well done for what could have been a real shit movie without Michael Bay, and then they went on to direct two of the best episodes of Ms. Marvel. They have a movie, Rebel, coming out later this year that's getting great buzz so far as well. And then suddenly . . . Batgirl is bad? Yeah I dunno about that.

Belgian born, Arab Muslim directors with a movie starring a black actress as Batgirl seems more relevant when you got Ezra and Flash right there. But perhaps the cameos showing up in that are too important to them or something.

• Halal 2

I forgot Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser were gonna be in Batgirl. This is even worse than I thought!

195114.jpg
COMICBOOKMOVIE.COM

Following last night's announcement that Warner Bros. Discovery has decided not to release Batgirl on HBO Max or in theaters, directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah have issued a joint response.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Gotta be the most massive creative gut punch to have your flick just straight up shelved due to financials

Shit, our budget got cut on a show I worked recently due to all of this bullshit. Changed the whole concept of the show from what it was intended to be... and that was for an unscripted show  for one othe networks owned be WBDiscovery.

yahoo_default_logo-1200x1200.png
WWW.YAHOO.COM

When life gives you lemons, make Scooby Snacks.

"So what do you do when the movie is canceled, but you've already paid for the stage and the musicians?" asked co-writer and producer Tony Cervone in a post on Instagram. "You record the damn score!"

The film's composer is listed as Dara Taylor, who previously developed scores for films like Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar and The Tender Bar.

13 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, they still got paid. Still, having that on your resume may end up being either a blessing or a curse

It's not just about the money. You put all this work into making a film, and now people won't get to see it. It could have furthered the careers of them being in a high profile movie. I mean imagine being an actor, struggling for your big break, and some director decides to take a chance with you because they see something in you, and cast you in what is going to be a big blockbuster movie, but then after the filming is done, the studio just decides not to release it, and now no one gets to see your performance, and you still have to wait for your big break. Hell even for established actors, that's still gotta suck, especially if you thought you gave a really good performance that people would like. Same thing with the directors putting all this effort into a movie for millions of people to see, but now no one will. 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:41 AM, number305 said:

There were some comments here that quality didn't factor in...  This article says otherwise.  

batgirl-movie-DC.gif?w=1024
NYPOST.COM

The new DC Comics film “Batgirl,” which still has no release date, will be completely “shelved” by Warner Bros., a top Hollywood source told The Post. 

From the article:  

The reportedly $70 million movie (the source said the budget was actually more than $100 million), which was doing test screenings for audiences in anticipation of a late 2022 debut, would rank among the most expensive cinematic castoffs ever.  

Those tests were said to be so poorly received by moviegoers that the studio decided to cut its losses and run, for the sake of the brand’s future. It’s a DC disaster.

I honestly buy that to some degree. I find it perfectly plausible that the new combined parent company would axe the project sight unseen, looking entirely at the financials, but it makes more sense to me that they'd at least consider the state of the project and early feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with any of the creatives on this film, but they were far enough along that there should have been some indication as to if the film would be great. Maybe it's a case that the early audiences and execs couldn't see the potential in its unfinished state, but it at least makes more sense to me that they considered it a lost cause when killing it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
batgirl-releasebatgirl-blogroll-16605924
WWW.IGN.COM

In the wake of Batgirl's surprise cancellation, we meet the fans behind the #ReleaseBatgirl movement.

Lol fans are funny.

This seemed inevitable, but as the age of unlimited money for new streaming content comes to an end, it seems unlikely that these kinds of campaigns succeed anymore.

Strange-Adventures-on-black-featured-ima
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Add Strange Adventures to the list of HBO Max series that have recently been placed on the chopping block

Add DC’s Strange Adventures to the list of HBO Max projects that have recently been placed on the chopping block following the Warner Bros. Discovery merger.

Writer and director Kevin Smith first shared on his Hollywood Babble-On podcast that the DC Comics series will not be moving forward at the streaming service. Sources have confirmed to Deadline that that is, in fact, the case.

Tax write-offs as far as the eye can see...

not-too-late-show-with-elmo.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

HBO Max will remove shows like 'The Not-Too-Late Show With Elmo,' 'Generation' and 'Infinity Train' from the service in the coming weeks.

HBO Max will remove 36 titles from its service as early as this week, Variety has confirmed.

A spokesperson for HBO Max attributed the decision to the pending merge of the platform with Discovery+, which is also owned by Warner Bros. Discovery.

“As we work toward bringing our content catalogs together under one platform, we will be making changes to the content offering available on both HBO Max and discovery+,” HBO Max’s statement reads. “That will include the removal of some content from both platforms.”

Taking off the titles from streaming would also help Warner Bros. Discovery cut costs by removing lesser-watched programs to save money on residuals. An exact date or time when the titles will be taken off has not been announced.

• True 1