Update: Amazon picks up animated Matt Reeves/Bruce Timm "Batman: Caped Crusader" series after being dropped by HBO Max

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

According to the Marvel Universe handbook, he and his brother Havok both absorb ambient solar radiation and store it to release as energy blasts. Cyclops theoretically was born with ability to control them at will like Havok, but he hurt his head when he was young, damaging the part of his brain that would gave allowed him to control them. That's why he needs the visor and glasses. They may have retconned this stuff but that was my understanding hie his powers worked. 

Its been retconned

His eyes are a portal to another universe where photons can carry gravitational particles that make concussive light. His body makes a field that keeps the energy in check and the glasses resonate at the same frequency as the field. 

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Its been retconned

His eyes are a portal to another universe where photons can carry gravitational particles that make concussive light. His body makes a field that keeps the energy in check and the glasses resonate at the same frequency as the field. 

It's actually the opposite according to wikipedia. The dimensional business was how his powers were described to have worked in the first Marvel Universe Handbook in 1983.  The Solar thing retconned that in the later edition in the 1985 Marvel handbook. 

The original 1983 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe volume stated that Cyclops' eyes contain inter-dimensional apertures, releasing powerful energies from another dimension into his own via the beams. This account states that his body naturally metabolizes ambient energy that is used to open and focus the apertures in his eyes. The energy of the beam itself originates from this other dimension. This explanation, however, was later changed for the 1986  The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition.[144]

Cyclops's body is naturally immune to the force of his own beams.[145] His mind projects a psionic field that envelops his body rendering it immune to his optic beam, allowing him to shut it off by simply closing his eyes. Scott is also immune to the power of his brother Alex (Havok) who has the ability to emit waves of energy that heat the air into plasma. Likewise, Havok has demonstrated immunity to Cyclops's optic beam. Scott has been shown as being able to absorb Storm's lightning bolt, although this act caused Cyclops a great deal of pain.[146] The ruby quartz used in his battle visor has been said to resonate with his body's psionic field. Scott has only limited resistance to his brother Vulcan's powers.

Marvel should really do another edition of their Handbook. They could even do two volumes, one covering the comics and one covering the Cinematic universe.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

It's actually the opposite according to wikipedia. The dimensional business was how his powers were described to have worked in the first Marvel Universe Handbook in 1983.  The Solar thing retconned that in the later edition in the 1985 Marvel handbook. 

Marvel should really do another edition of their Handbook. They could even do two volumes, one covering the comics and one covering the Cinematic universe.

2004 Handbook says he absorbs energy to open the portals.

It all boils down to 

Its Magic GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

2004 Handbook says he absorbs energy to open the portals.

It all boils down to 

Its Magic GIFs | Tenor

Right... although the portal thing sounds dumb as hell. I guess that's a way to bump his powers to "Omega levels" since he's one of the so-called Omega mutants.

EDIT: Correction, Cyclops is not an Omega, he's an Alpha according to the Marvel wiki which also says he gets his powers from absorbing ambient energy.

latest?cb=20210911084138
MARVEL.FANDOM.COM

Scott Summers is a mutant with the ability to fire destructive optic beams from his eyes. As the first X-Man Cyclops, he has ascended from super hero field leader to a mutant revolutionary icon. The firstborn son of Major Chris Summers, Scott and his brother Alex witnessed the apparent murder of...

Maybe they realized how stupid that interdimensional thing was and retconned it again. I dunno... at the end of the day you're right. It's 

Magic GIF by The Paley Center for Media

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Right... although the portal thing sounds dumb as hell. I guess that's a way to bump his powers to "Omega levels" since he's one of the so-called Omega mutants.

EDIT: Correction, Cyclops is not an Omega, he's an Alpha according to the Marvel wiki which also says he gets his powers from absorbing ambient energy.

I would have sworn he was Omega level. I thought I read some where he could crack planets with his blasts.

21 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I would have sworn he was Omega level. I thought I read some where he could crack planets with his blasts.

I think it's said that could be if he could withstand the output. His weakness has never been the energy he could tap into, but his ability to last in bed...err, his ability to just keep the beam going? I'm not sure that's any better.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

I thought he was an Omega as well but apparently not. Jean Grey is, Storm is. Magneto, Professor X, Exodus, Apocalypse and Quinten Quire AKA Kid Omega are all Omega mutants. Cyclops isn't... today until thy change that shit again:p By the way if you guys haven't been keeping up with the Xmen comics you should. They're the best they've been in YEARS right now.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder what this cryptic Tweet means? :mthinking: Thanks for @Mercury33 for making me aware of this. Marvel should be... concerned.

He's already stated that his vision for the DCU involves a "connected" media universe.

james_gunn.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Is Monolith Productions' in-development Wonder Woman game going to connect to the DCU?

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

He's already stated that his vision for the DCU involves a "connected" media universe.

james_gunn.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Is Monolith Productions' in-development Wonder Woman game going to connect to the DCU?

And he if anyone can pull it off it's him. DC should have BEEN doing this... they had an opportunity to build their whole universe off of the success of the arrowverse and expand from there. Snyder's grimdark vision didn't fit so they ended up with all of these different versions of the same characters across multiple mediums and it got confusing. It's confusing NOW. Shit like this is why they had to do the original Crisis back in the 80's.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they’ve gone an canceled Wonder Woman 3. Aquaman will end after the 2nd movie, and rumoured to become their Lobo. This just came out and hurt me a bit because I’ve been dreaming of the day for it to happen

batman-beyond.png?resize=1200,630
WWW.COMINGSOON.NET

One report suggests that an adaptation of the iconic animated series Batman Beyond was one of the many projects shelved.

So Gunn and Safran have begun to make moves, and it seems like the entire Snyderverse may end up getting washed away completely for a proper reboot of all the characters. Hence Momoa maybe becoming Lobo after Aquaman 2. Not sure what this means for Gunn's own Peacemaker show (season 2) when that is definitely tied to the Snyderverse, if just barely, it makes numerous connections to it in the background. Gunn and Safran said that Superman is a priority for them, which means despite Cavill's appearance in Black Adam to become Superman again may not come to fruition now (go back to The Witcher and/or do James Bond). Apparently Jenkins didn't leave Wonder Woman 3, the film is just cancelled. Patty Jenkins has been asked to come back to Rogue Squadron for Star Wars, see news below (Jenkins herself put up a letter explaining things).

wonder-woman-1984-streaming-163006177826
WWW.IGN.COM

Director Patty Jenkins has broken her silence on the cancellation of Wonder Woman 3, saying it was not her decision to leave.

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

So Gunn and Safran have begun to make moves, and it seems like the entire Snyderverse may end up getting washed away completely for a proper reboot of all the characters. Hence Momoa maybe becoming Lobo after Aquaman 2. Not sure what this means for Gunn's own Peacemaker show (season 2) when that is definitely tied to the Snyderverse, if just barely, it makes numerous connections to it in the background. Gunn and Safran said that Superman is a priority for them, which means despite Cavill's appearance in Black Adam to become Superman again may not come to fruition now (go back to The Witcher and/or do James Bond). Apparently Jenkins didn't leave Wonder Woman 3, the film is just cancelled. Patty Jenkins has been asked to come back to Rogue Squadron for Star Wars, see news below (Jenkins herself put up a letter explaining things).

wonder-woman-1984-streaming-163006177826
WWW.IGN.COM

Director Patty Jenkins has broken her silence on the cancellation of Wonder Woman 3, saying it was not her decision to leave.

She's not even sure if Rogue Squadron "will happen or not".

I think Disney/Lucasfilm is in as much as -- if not more than -- of a confused state as to what to do about Star Wars theatrically than Warner is about the DCEU.

• True 1

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I think Disney/Lucasfilm is in as much as -- if not more than -- of a confused state as to what to do about Star Wars theatrically than Warner is about the DCEU.

Agreed - they asked her back and fired up pre-production on the film again in earnest for her (sounds like they were slowly but quietly toiling away on it in the background) so I'm sure things are moving forward (why ask her back at all after WW3 falls through) but theatrical Star Wars films seem to be on hold currently after they flooded the market with 5 films in 4 years (2015 to 2019) with diminishing returns in terms of Star Wars brand and reputation.

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Just get hold fast tattooed on your knuckles and give Rian Johnson his trilogy you absolute cowards.

Or let Knives Out 3 just be the exact same cast as The Last Jedi.

I demand one or both of these things.

• 2 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 8:32 AM, Ghost_MH said:

Zaslav, what are you doing cancelling the new Batman animated series by Bruce Timm and the Amazing World of Gumball movie?

batman-copy.jpg?w=1296
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The series, from J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves and Bruce Timm, was previously developed for HBO Max.

Batman: Caped Crusader has found a new home at Amazon.

The streamer and retail giant has handed out a two-season order for the animated series that was scrapped at HBO Max last August. Caped Crusader landed at the Jennifer Salke-led streamer after producer Warner Bros. Animation shopped the project following the cost-cutting move that saw parent company Warner Bros. Discovery scrap the show more than a year and a half after ordering it straight to series. Other streamers, including Netflix, Apple and Hulu, also kicked the tires on the project that marks a reunion for executive producers J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, who previously collaborated on The WB Network’s beloved Felicity.

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Amazon picks up animated Matt Reeves/Bruce Timm "Batman: Caped Crusader" series after being dropped by HBO Max