Update: Amazon picks up animated Matt Reeves/Bruce Timm "Batman: Caped Crusader" series after being dropped by HBO Max

• 1 month later...
James-Gunn-L-Peter-Safran-R-Split-Getty-
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The duo will report to David Zaslav and assume the titles of co-chairs and co-CEOs of DC Studios.

In a stunning turn of events, filmmaker James Gunn and producer Peter Safran have been tapped to lead DC’s film, TV and animation efforts as co-chairs and co-CEOs of DC Studios, a newly formed division at Warner Bros. that will replace DC Films.

The unprecedented move, in which a top director will assume a top executive post, marks the end of a months-long search by Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav to replace DC Films boss Walter Hamada, who departed the studio last week. That search had all of Hollywood guessing and playing executive bingo for who will get one of the most coveted — and challenging — jobs in town.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: James Gunn and Peter Safran to lead DC film/TV/animation projects

Pretty wild to me that Gunn, coming from the Troma scene and making something as unhinged and confrontational as Super could pivot so hard and become this much of a  shameless sell out.  I supposed it's literally just money, but it's continually surprising which initially talented filmmakers Marvel/DC are able to plug straight into the machine.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
james-gunn-pitched-dc-vs-marvel.jpg
COSMICBOOK.NEWS

With James Gunn now in charge of the DCU, fans are wondering if we'll actually get to see a DC vs. Marvel movie on the big screen.

Do n't know how reiable this report is. Honestly when I saw the news of Gunn taking over DC I thought to my self: "This might just happen."

What if they swapped villains.

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Oh I know. But you think they’re NOT going to have a beam fight in a DC / Marvel crossover? Come on now. :p

Nah, Supes would probably be up against Thor, The Hulk or even Captain Marvel if it's a movie crossover. DC and Marvel have done two VS events and never has Supes faced Cyclops. I don't think this encounter would even rate in "the top 10 of battles you would want to see in a Marvel vs DC crossover" in ANY medium :p It would just end with Cyclops losing his head and Superman even more powerful than before.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nah, Supes would probably be up against Thor, The Hulk or even Captain Marvel if it's a movie crossover. DC and Marvel have done two VS events and never has Supes faced Cyclops. I don't think this encounter would even rate in "the top 10 of battles you would want to see in a Marvel vs DC crossover" in ANY medium :p It would just end with Cyclops losing his head and Superman even more powerful than before.

I think you’re ignoring how much these people LOVE shooting beamfights :p

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm Cyclops beams are solar powered... I don't think that fight goes the way you think it does :p

They are? I thought I read that Cyclops's beams actually have no heat to them, and are purely concussive energy, so they couldn't blow up anything flammable for example. 

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm Cyclops beams are solar powered... I don't think that fight goes the way you think it does :p

They are???? Wait how does that work? Does that mean they cool off and he can open his eyes without glasses in the middle of the night? My mind is blown right now

33 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

They are???? Wait how does that work? Does that mean they cool off and he can open his eyes without glasses in the middle of the night? My mind is blown right now

According to the Marvel Universe handbook, he and his brother Havok both absorb ambient solar radiation and store it to release as energy blasts. Cyclops theoretically was born with ability to control them at will like Havok, but he hurt his head when he was young, damaging the part of his brain that would gave allowed him to control them. That's why he needs the visor and glasses. They may have retconned this stuff but that was my understanding hie his powers worked. 

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

According to the Marvel Universe handbook, he and his brother Havok both absorb ambient solar radiation and store it to release as energy blasts. Cyclops theoretically was born with ability to control them at will like Havok, but he hurt his head when he was young, damaging the part of his brain that would gave allowed him to control them. That's why he needs the visor and glasses. They may have retconned this stuff but that was my understanding hie his powers worked. 

I think they retconned extra ways for him to absorb energy. Like, he's not absorbing just solar radiation, but also all radiation and also extra-dimentional radiation.

10 hours ago, Brick said:

Marvel vs DC would make for a cool fighting game. I imagine that would also be easier to do. 

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That would be amazing actually... give us two games. One Capcom Style and one Netherrealms style :drool:

I think this was the long shot rumor of what NetherRealm has been working on.

• Shocked 1

James-Gunn-Reportedly-Clashing-With-Dway
FANDOMWIRE.COM

James Gunn and Dwayne Johnson have different ideas as to where the DCU is going, with Johnson wanting it to be Black Adam focused.

No idea how reliable this site is so take with a grain of salt. Makes sense though.