The Last of Us: Part 1 - update: PC Update 1.1 released, officially Steam Deck verified

9 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Basically.

You’re right, I consider the PS4 remaster more of an improved port of the PS3 game. The remake is more of what I consider a remaster, and there’s nothing inherently wrong with that. I was just expecting a sort of reimagining or retelling of the original since it was being remade from the ground up for the PS5. It appears to be more of a remake like Demon’s Souls, and less of a remake like Final Fantasy VII.

Ok. If what you're saying is true, that would be pretty cool. :nerd:

Just now, BloodyHell said:

And it looks incredible. 

But not for a game that's "built from the ground up for PS5", it looks similar to part 2. That's the complaint. A PS5 exclusive game built to maximize the use of the hardware shouldn't look comparable to a PS4 game. Anyone saying it looks "bad" is being hyperbolic or is dumb, however, the argument is that the graphics are disappointing to some because, again, it was "built from the ground up for PS5".

• True 1

I agree with @Spork3245

The DF video says rather directly that the PS5 remaster of Part 1 looks pretty much identical to Part 2. Part 2 is a very good looking game, but it's still a PS4 game that got a very minimal PS5 patch, and Naughty Dog are kings of graphics. I doubt I'll have any real issues with the graphics, but we're 2 years into the PS5 and this is Naughty Dog's first game on the platform, so I was hoping for something that would blow me away.

If Part 3 came out and looked indistinguishable from Part 2, despite a console generation launching between them, I'd be disappointed. This one gets a pass because it's just a remake, but still.

• Halal 1

Yeah it really does just look like Part II, although I'm sure there will probably be nice little extras that Part II couldn't do like ray tracing and real time reflections, in addition to the higher frame rate, but at first glance here you can't tell there's a generational gap, whereas you could easily tell the generational gap between the first game and the PS4 Remaster, and then even further with Part II being built from the ground up for PS4. I remember a guy telling me that the Remaster is how good the second game will look when it comes out, and I told him no it would look even better because it will be made for the PS4 to begin with. I'm sure Naughty Dog's first proper game for PS5 will blow everything else out of the water. 

I don’t think we are even going to get ray tracing here. :( 

If I understand it correctly, this was originally another team doing it then naughty dog took over right? So they probably were already going off of this base and that’s why it’s like this.

Honestly if they did add rt GI and reflections that would be enough for me to count it as a next gen game and it would look amazing, but I don’t see it happening. 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

blah blah blah who cares. it looks amazing no matter what. the graphics are the least of the things they could have improved. i’m much more interested in the increased frames and better combat. 

I'm looking for to the Ellie / Clicker Benny Hill routine in glorious 4K :p

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, stepee said:

I don’t think we are even going to get ray tracing here. :( 

If I understand it correctly, this was originally another team doing it then naughty dog took over right? So they probably were already going off of this base and that’s why it’s like this.

Honestly if they did add rt GI and reflections that would be enough for me to count it as a next gen game and it would look amazing, but I don’t see it happening. 

Raytracing would inevitably cut into performance budgets in other ways that could detract from the visual fidelity on consoles.   I don’t think every developer is ready to, or should be making those compromises to be ‘next-gen.’

Maybe not using it is the wrong call here.  But hey, at least it’s still an early gen project from them.